X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SWINE FLU Cyprus infant is first swine flu death

Source: http://www.javno.com/en-world/cyprus...u-death_285338

SWINE FLU Cyprus infant is first swine flu death

A baby girl has succumbed to swine flu becoming Cyprus's first recorded death from the A(H1N1) virus, health officials said on Tuesday.

Makarios children's hospital in Nicosia said the five-month-old girl died of swine flu on Monday.

Hospital director Andreas Hadjidemetriou said the child had suffered from a serious underlying neurological disease that complicated her condition. - Which is why this flu did not develop in the normal way - he told reporters.

Health Minister Christos Patsalides said this "tragic case" showed the need for vulnerable groups to get vaccinated as soon as possible.

Last month, Cyprus launched a campaign to vaccinate free of charge people most susceptible to contract the virus, including pregnant women, children with asthma, health workers and heart sufferers.

The government plans to vaccinate 400,000 Greek and Turkish Cypriots over the coming months, almost half the population.

At first there had been reluctance by Cypriot to get their free jabs over fears of side effects, but medical officials say demand has risen as the number of A(H1N1) cases rise.

Cypriot authorities say the majority of swine flu cases have been in its mildest form, partly due to warm winter weather.

The east Mediterranean island recorded its first outbreak in May but in July the authorities stopped issuing figures after several hundred cases of swine flu were detected.
    "I know God will not give me anything I can't handle. I just wish that He didn't trust me so much." - Mother Teresa of Calcutta
Working...
X