Migrant Head Start/Daycare Infection Control Policy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Migrant Head Start/Daycare Infection Control Policy

I've taken on the new challenge as Coordinating RN for a Migrant Head Start/Daycare Facility. I am researching to help update their policies and create a more healthy and safe environment. I'm looking for good resources (and don't know that the CDC and Dept of Health guidelines are aggressive enough.) I will be servicing 52 children, ages 6 wks-5 years, and their migrant worker families. (The majority of families are coming from Southern Texas/Mexico.) The company policies are slack, to say the least, and they currently allow children with fevers up to 100 degrees to still be included in the care rooms. I will have the opportunity to provide educational sessions for families and staff and am coordinating with local public health (who are ill-prepared for the current influenza, let alone anticipating for the fall.) I will be having sessions with public health and was told that I would be invited to be included in further pandemic planning-yeah!

Any references that printable and are English/Spanish would be great! Thanks for any links or site resources that I maybe haven't found yet! Now I have a new audience to "preach" to and a facility full of kids I'll be responsible for! Thanks for your time!

Re: Migrant Head Start/Daycare Infection Control Policy

One place to start is with the CDC's respiratory hygiene/cough etiquette posters that are available in multiple languages on the CDC website.

To provide effective infection control, it's imperative to consider individual as well as group risk factors. I would develop a list of conditions that predispose to more severe illness and/or complications, and inform parents and staff.

Education of staff and administration should be ongoing. This will be challenging due to turnover.

It will be very important to uncover cultural beliefs and practices that conflict with official recommendations and western medicine.

You're to be commended for taking on this challenge.

Comment

Thank you for jumping into the dark!

Peace and Health - Snick

Comment

thanks for the input - staff turnover was something I hadn't considered. by nature, the families come and go, too. I need to find a bi-lingual powerpoint that can be used and re-used even if I'm not present at the time.

I sure am feeling the burden of jumping in (thanks to the economic crunch!) I'm going to keep hunting, any further sites would be great!

Comment

Working...
        X