Clear All

• 500 to talk bird flu

http://www.hickoryrecord.com/servlet...=1149190578093

500 to talk bird flu
    Conference at Conover church Wednesday
    BY ANDREW MACKIE
    RECORD STAFF WRITER
    Tuesday, September 12, 2006

HICKORY - Bird flu and a possible worldwide outbreak is the focus of a national conference Wednesday at Tri-City Baptist Church.

Dr. Michael Osterholm, director of the Center for Infectious Disease Research and Policy, is the guest speaker of the event hosted by the Catawba County Chamber of Commerce and Alex Lee Inc.

The event, titled ?Pandemic: Preparing for the Unthinkable,? begins at 1:30 p.m.

About 500 people, mostly hospital and manufacturing executives, are expected to attend. Most will come from across North Carolina, but some will travel from as far as Oklahoma.

Osterhold is one of the world?s leading experts on public preparedness for pandemics and bioterrorist attacks.
    He will discuss a range of concerns associated with a pandemic situation, including hospital and medical shortages, multinational concerns, communications, workforce shortages, transportation, school disruptions, energy issues.

WANT TO GO?
    What: National conference on pandemic preparedness, ?Pandemic: Preparing for the Unthinkable?
    When: Wednesday, 1:30 to 5 p.m.
    Where: Tri-City Baptist Church, Conover
    For more information: Call the Catawba County Chamber of Commerce at 328-6111 or visit www.catawbachamber.org.
    Registration is $50.

amackie@hickoryrecord.com | 322-4510 x5407 or 304-6914

"The next major advancement in the health of American people will be determined by what the individual is willing to do for himself"-- John Knowles, Former President of the Rockefeller Foundation

Re: 500 to talk bird flu

ohboyohboyohboy !!!! YOU BET I WANT TO GO !!!!
    In fact, I already registered for it a few days ago!

Originally posted by AlaskaDenise
    http://www.hickoryrecord.com/servlet...=1149190578093

500 to talk bird flu
    Conference at Conover church Wednesday
    HICKORY - Bird flu and a possible worldwide outbreak is the focus of a national conference Wednesday at Tri-City Baptist Church.

Dr. Michael Osterholm, director of the Center for Infectious Disease Research and Policy, is the guest speaker of the event hosted by the Catawba County Chamber of Commerce and Alex Lee Inc.

The event, titled ?Pandemic: Preparing for the Unthinkable,? begins at 1:30 p.m.

About 500 people, mostly hospital and manufacturing executives, are expected to attend. Most will come from across North Carolina, but some will travel from as far as Oklahoma.

Osterhold is one of the world?s leading experts on public preparedness for pandemics and bioterrorist attacks.
    He will discuss a range of concerns associated with a pandemic situation, including hospital and medical shortages, multinational concerns, communications, workforce shortages, transportation, school disruptions, energy issues.

WANT TO GO?
    WOW !! A chance to see and hear DR.Osterholm ...himself!... in person !!!! YAAAAAAAYYYY !!!! (errrrr... :o Blush... I kinda feel like a groupie here...getta grip, Dawn!) ... Now if we could just get Dr. Niman to show up somewhere (after all, he never sleeps anyway!) ... I'm sooo THERE!!

This conference is only 2-3 hours from me (I'm in the Raleigh area), and I gladly rescheduled my week to get there.

Following Goju's outstanding (and somewhat intimidating) example, I will do my best to report back here what I glean from the conference... So just as he did prior to his conference, please let me know if there are any questions/info you'd like me to try and find out. I'll do my best.

Thank you, Goju, for your reports and your "Goju takes action" post on 9.8.06. I relate to so much of what you expressed there about spreading the word in our communities ... and I'm "afraid" that attending this conference will rip away the last thread of hesitancy that holds me back from calling a neighborhood meeting (as I have done for other things in the past... and nothing has ever been this important!). Gulp!

I've been immersed in bird flu since last September, when I first heard of it in an investment and economic report I read. My life totally changed that day; I've been researching online for hours every day since then...no exceptions.

Every personal and business decision I have made since then has been predicated on the possible/probable effects of the pending pandemic. My crystal ball is worn down to marble-size now ... but that's ok, because I think we'll all be getting the answers to more than we want to know, and sooner than we want to know it.

I'm so very grateful that I found this forum (after spending much time on others). This is the only forum I invest my time in now... and a very good investment it is! The hard work and awesome expert knowledge shared here is greatly appreciated ... and so is the very kind, caring attitude of everyone involved!! Thank you all!

Sooo...Please let me know if I can be of service to you while attending the conference....

Dawn ...Off to the Conference!!!

Comment

I will be there as well. And I'm sooo glad I'm not the only one who is excited. You'd think I was a teenaged girl going to a concert by her favorite heart throb...do girls still do that???

SZ

Comment

I understand completely. :o
        Please do not ask me for medical advice, I am not a medical doctor.

Avatar is a painting by Alan Pollack, titled, "Plague". I'm sure it was an accident that the plague girl happened to look almost like my twin.
        Thank you,
        Shannon Bennett

Comment

aNewDawn and SophieZoe -

If you get a chance to talk to him, ask him what is in your heart. Ask him questions that interest you personally.

He will see your sincerity and answer you.

Good luck and let us know what happens!

Comment

Such Lucky Ducks, wish I could be there as well. But living on the west coast of Canada, makes that impossible.

Comment

Ask him what preps he would recommend for folks to cover when the hospitals are full, antivirals are used up, PPEs are gone, HCWs are in short supply, and it's still at least a year until any VAX are available.

How should people care for their ill family members in that likely scenerio?

"The next major advancement in the health of American people will be determined by what the individual is willing to do for himself"-- John Knowles, Former President of the Rockefeller Foundation

Comment

Please ask him what sort of grassroots project does he think is most needed now. Papering the public with survival information from "many voices" perhaps? Or should we be going door-to-door in coordination with our local emergency officials asking specific and pointed preparedness questions to fellow townspeople.

Also, I would suggest that the year 2000 census information be released to the town health departments ahead of its 40 year rule. This information will be invaluable to town officials during a pandemic to know the complete demographic information in their area. Precedent setting but necessary.

Just a though...

Comment

Originally posted by SophiaZoe
                  I will be there as well. And I'm sooo glad I'm not the only one who is excited. You'd think I was a teenaged girl going to a concert by her favorite heart throb...do girls still do that???

SZ

SophiaZoe !!!! I can't believe you're going too !! (Oooooh...squeal, shriek, jump up and down, gigglegiggle!!!) We'll have to sit together and scream and swoon when he steps up to the podium!!!
                  ... OK, OK ... we'll be cool... :p

Really though, SZ, let's plan to meet there ... you know me from the two other forums, also ... MizScarlett. Where are you coming from? I'll try to figure out how to pm you... Anyone else going to be there???

Dawn

Comment

Originally posted by standingfirm
                    Please ask him what sort of grassroots project does he think is most needed now. Papering the public with survival information from "many voices" perhaps? Or should we be going door-to-door in coordination with our local emergency officials asking specific and pointed preparedness questions to fellow townspeople.
                    Standingfirm (I love your name!)...

You stated exactly what is heaviest on my heart. We want to help... but HOW???? Setting up neighborhood or community meetings/ presentations?? Galloping down the streets screaming, "The bird flu is coming, the bird flu is coming!" ?? (Hey, it worked once before!)

(Maybe I should continue this over in the "You know it's late when..." thread. )

Thanks for the input; I'll check back here before I leave tomorrow.

Dawn

Comment

My name makes me live up to it...sometimes its a challenge, but thanks.

I was thinking along the lines of coordination of meals on wheels and open pantry. Also the release of census data to the towns ahead of the 40 year rule so that coordination efforts would run smoother. Another idea is to have team of health department "census" takers who distribute information, make note of any special services that may be needed, how many children, seniors etc. are in the home etc. As Census takers in 2000 we had to pass a test and go through training. This really could be a benefit to wake people up without sending out a panic message.

Also, Youth groups, Boy Scouts and Girls Scouts could be coordinated to begin collection of water and food for open pantry. When people are accomplishing something they tend to panic less. There should be one collection/distribution center where all these agencies work out of so that communication is less of a problem.

There should also be a coordination in each town of the emergency signals, like fire horns...in our town we have a volunteer department so there are signals for where problems are located for a quicker response. There should be something like that in place that would communicate different basic information to the townsfolk. I can think of quite a few things that my need to be communicated if there is no electricity or telephone service.

We really could accomplish a great deal in a very short time.

Comment

Working...
                      X