X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WHO: 3rd Meeting Of the IHR Emergency Committee

WHO: 3rd Meeting Of the IHR Emergency Committee

# 3299

Today the WHO (World Health Organization) convened a third meeting of the IHR committee to discuss the novel H1N1 virus.

While we remain at pandemic level 5 ? indicating that a pandemic is `imminent? ? there was little expectation that the WHO would announce an alert level change today.

Here is the statement coming out of that meeting.

Third Meeting of the IHR Emergency Committee

The WHO Director-General convened a third meeting of the International Health Regulations (IHR) Committee on 5th June 2009. The purpose of the meeting was to update the Committee on the global situation and seek advice on proposals to introduce severity assessments in any future announcements of pandemic phase changes by WHO.

There was a broad consensus on the importance of including information on severity in future announcements. The committee gave further advice regarding a number of parameters, the monitoring of which will provide information for the assessment of the severity of the epidemic.

In discussion with the Committee, the Director-General noted that with the world remains in Pandemic Influenza Phase 5 and reaffirmed that WHO will continue to monitor the situation closely in all countries reporting cases of new Influenza A (H1N1).

Based on the advice of the Committee, the Director-General determined that it was appropriate to continue the existing Temporary Recommendations, namely:
    • That all countries intensify surveillance for unusual outbreaks of influenza-like illness and severe pneumonia.
    • Not to close borders and not to restrict international travel. It is considered prudent for people who are ill to delay international travel and for people developing symptoms following travel to seek medical attention.
    • That the production of seasonal influenza vaccine should continue at this time, subject to re-evaluation as the situation evolves.

Re: WHO: 3rd Meeting Of the IHR Emergency Committee

When I read the statement, all I see is .......blah blah blah....... politics......blahblah...... .no changes....... blah blah blah.......... downplay facts........BLAH BLAH!

I swear my blood pressure is just shooting through the roof reading this statement!

Comment

Originally posted by The Mountains Voice View Post
      When I read the statement, all I see is .......blah blah blah....... politics......blahblah...... .no changes....... blah blah blah.......... downplay facts........BLAH BLAH!

I swear my blood pressure is just shooting through the roof reading this statement!
      I agree.....blah..ba..blah..ba...blah, reminds me of Charlie Brown's teacher.

It is considered prudent for people who are ill to delay international travel and for people developing symptoms following travel to seek medical attention.
      I thought they preferred the sick to go home and wash their hands and stay there a couple days. The doctors not allowed to test for the flu anyway in most cases.

Comment

My guess is that the entire & only point of this meeting was to discuss the seasonal v. novel vaccine issue - the big issue which needs resolution at this point. I think earlier in the year they said they'd need to make the final decision by the end of June?

Just my opinion but I think the entire meeting was about the last sentence of the press release "That the production of seasonal influenza vaccine should continue at this time, subject to re-evaluation as the situation evolves".

Comment

I agree.....blah..ba..blah..ba...blah, reminds me of Charlie Brown's teacher.
          great analogy!

Comment

Working...
          X