X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pune immunity survey results

'35% students immune to H1N1 virus'
    TNN, Apr 17, 2010, 06.01am IST

PUNE: Thirty-five% of students in Pune have become immune to the H1N1 virus, followed by doctors (25%) and slum-dwellers (20%), a survey by the Pune-based National Institute of Virology (NIV) has found.

Close to 25% of the city's population is likely to have developed antibodies against the virus, NIV director A C Mishra said, adding that the only group with less immunity is the adult office-going population.

The survey report was recently submitted to an international research journal for publication, he told TOI on Friday.

Asked whether the exposed people could still get infected at a later stage, Mishra said, "They may not get infected with the specific strain to which they were exposed to for a long time."
    Thirty-five% of students in Pune have become immune to the H1N1 virus, followed by doctors (25%) and slum-dwellers (20%), a survey by the Pune-based N
    Twitter: @RonanKelly13
    The views expressed are mine alone and do not represent the views of my employer or any other person or organization.

Re: Pune immunity survey results

NIV study gives out ?reassuring? number

Survey conducted across Mumbai and Pune with a sample size of 1,200 people, reveals nearly 40% are immune to swine flu

By Siddharth Gadkari
    Posted On Wednesday, July 07, 2010 at 11:22:17 PM

It?s that time of the year again. After unleashing panic in the city last year, the dreaded swine flu is now rearing its head again.

But if a survey by the National Institute of Virology (NIV) is to be believed, nearly 40 per cent of Puneites have developed immunity to H1N1.

NIV had collected 1,200 blood sample of people from Pune and Mumbai. Normally, vaccines are used to enhance the power to fight viral infections in the human body for a duration of three months to one year.

The state government claims to have been taking steps to control swine flu. Officials are distributing Tamiflu tablets to people and creating awareness against swine flu.

State co-ordinator of swine flu, Pradeep Awate, confirmed that a survey was conducted in Pune and Mumbai. He said, ?The survey was conducted to check the immunity power of residents.

We collected blood samples of 1,200 people from Pune and Mumbai. These samples were clinically tested and we found that out of 1,200 people, 40 per cent people have developed a power to fight H1N1.?

Awate added, ?We are fully prepared to tackle the second phase of swine flue, if it happens. As of now, we have not seen such a condition in the state or in Pune. We are screening people and giving Tamiflu to suspected cases.?

Dr Mandeep Chadha, from swine flu department in NIV, said, ?I can?t comment on any aspect of this survey. Dr A C Mishra is the right person to talk about the matter.? Dr Mishra was not available for comment.

Twitter: @RonanKelly13
    The views expressed are mine alone and do not represent the views of my employer or any other person or organization.

Comment

Working...
    X