X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Maharashtra: Leptospirosis claims 11 lives in Mumbai

Leptospirosis claims second victim in Mumbai
    TNN | Updated: Jun 28, 2018, 05:45 IST

MUMBAI: In a span of 48 hours, leptospirosis has claimed its second victim in the city. A 28-year-old resident of Shivaji Nagar in Govandi, Imtiaz Mohammed Ali, died on Tuesday at the civic-run Sion hospital.
    Ali was admitted to the medical ICU on Saturday with fever and breathlessness. He was almost immediately put on a ventilator, but his lungs were already affected by then, said a doctor. He died of multiorgan failure.

Twitter: @RonanKelly13
    The views expressed are mine alone and do not represent the views of my employer or any other person or organization.

Mumbai records third leptospirosis death in a week

WRITTEN BY

dna Correspondent

Updated: Jul 1, 2018, 06:10 AM IST
    A 21-year-old Malad resident became the third victim of leptospirosis in the city within a week. According to the civic body's health department, while the cause of the first death is yet to be ascertained, the second and third victims certainly died of leptospirosis.

As per the report of BMC's health department, the 21-year-old woman died on June 27. She had a wound on her leg when she had waded through a waterlogged street. While at first she took recourse to self-medication, she was shifted to a hospital when her condition worsened.

Besides her, a 15-year-old Kurla teen and a 27-year-old Govandi resident also died of leptospirosis on June 26. A committee was set up by BMC to inspect the death of the Kurla teen.
    According to the civic body's health department, while the cause of the first death is yet to be ascertained, the second and third victims certainly died of leptospirosis.
    The views expressed are mine alone and do not represent the views of my employer or any other person or organization.

Comment

Times of India reports a 17 year old from Worli is the 4th leptospirosis fatality of the year in Mumbai.
      Read more at:

Comment

Leptospirosis has claimed nine lives Mumbai so far: BMC
        SPECIAL CORRESPONDENT AUGUST 01, 2018 01:08 IST
        UPDATED: AUGUST 01, 2018 14:26 IST

Leptospirosis has claimed nine lives Mumbai so far: BMC
        Six cases of cholera recorded, highest in the past three years
        A monsoon disease analysis by the Brihanmumbai Municipal Corporation released on Tuesday said leptospirosis has killed nine people across the city this season. The BMC has also reported six cases of cholera, the highest in three years.

Leptospirosis is a bacterial infection that spreads to humans through rat and cattle urine and excreta and most commonly through unhealed wounds in the skin, abrasions and cuts, especially in the feet. The infection claimed three lives in June and six in July; five of them died in the past two weeks.

Civic officials said 76% of the victims of the infection were men and 24% were women. The highest number of cases were in the 15 to 29 age-group. Among the five deceased was a 46-year-old man who began treatment at a private clinic and got admitted to a hospital when his symptoms worsened. Before getting admitted, he stopped treatment mid-way and shifted to Ayurvedic treatment for jaundice. The report said, ?This patient had a shoe bite wound and a history of wading through rain water. He died on July 15.?

Comment

Two Leptospirosis fatalities F/19 and M/27 for the week ending August 4.
          Read more at:
          MUMBAI: Leptospirosis claimed the lives of two young Goregaon (West) residents in the past 10 days, as hospitals have reported a spurt in cases from t.

Comment

Week 30 IDSP report: http://idsp.nic.in/WriteReadData/l892s/302018.pdf

MH/SIN/2018/30/1113 Maharashtra Sindhudurg Leptospirosis 04 01(18/
            M) 16-07-18 Under
            Control
            Cases of fever with jaundice reported from Village Nerur, SC
            Nerur No. 01. PHC Walaval, Taluk Kudal. District RRT
            investigated the outbreak. House to house survey done. 02
            blood samples tested for Malaria at PHC were negative. 14
            blood samples tested; 04 positive for Leptospirosis by IgM
            Elisa. All cases treated symptomatically. Health education
            given on personal hygiene measures and sanitation.

Comment

Working...
            X