Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• India Acute Flaccid Paralysis 2018

Link to 2017 thread: https://flutrackers.com/forum/forum/...paralysis-2017

After a break of 6 months, a new report.

Link to WHO Page: http://www.searo.who.int/india/topics/poliomyelitis/en/

Click image for larger version

Name:	AFP.png
Views:	117
Size:	168.8 KB
ID:	792979

World Health Organization South-East Asia provides leadership on health matters, articulates evidence-based policy options, provides technical support to countries and monitors health trends. World Health Organization South-East Asia is working with Bangladesh, Bhutan, Democratic People’s Republic of Korea, India, ​Indonesia, ​Maldives, ​​Myanmar, Nepal, ​​Sri Lanka, ​​Thailand, Timor-Leste to address persisting and emerging epidemiological and demographic challenges.

Twitter: @RonanKelly13
    The views expressed are mine alone and do not represent the views of my employer or any other person or organization.

After a break of 4 months, a report; http://www.searo.who.int/india/polio...n28jul2018.pdf

Views:	141
Size:	178.4 KB
ID:	797311
    World Health Organization South-East Asia provides leadership on health matters, articulates evidence-based policy options, provides technical support to countries and monitors health trends. World Health Organization South-East Asia is working with Bangladesh, Bhutan, Democratic People’s Republic of Korea, India, ​Indonesia, ​Maldives, ​​Myanmar, Nepal, ​​Sri Lanka, ​​Thailand, Timor-Leste to address persisting and emerging epidemiological and demographic challenges.

The views expressed are mine alone and do not represent the views of my employer or any other person or organization.

Comment

Views:	119
Size:	180.0 KB
ID:	798020

Comment

Vaccine-induced paralysis calls for action, says study
        Bindu Shajan Perappadan NEW DELHI , AUGUST 21, 2018 01:59 IST
        UPDATED: AUGUST 21, 2018 01:59 IST
        SHARE ARTICLE 221 1 PRINT A A A

Frequency of pulse polio administration is directly or indirectly related to incidence of non-polio acute flaccid paralysis, say researchers
        Over 4.9 lakh persons in India developed paralysis between 2000 and 2017 because of oral polio vaccine (OPV), say leading doctors in two reputed hospitals here.

Jacob Puliyel, a paediatrician at St. Stephen’s Hospital, and his co-workers claim their study has shown that “frequency of pulse polio administration is directly or indirectly related to incidence of non-polio acute flaccid paralysis [NPAFP]”.
        https://www.thehindu.com/news/cities...le24740588.ece
        Int. J. Environ. Res. Public Health 2018, 15(8), 1755; https://doi.org/10.3390/ijerph15081755
        Correlation between Non-Polio Acute Flaccid Paralysis Rates with Pulse Polio Frequency in India

Rachana Dhiman 1
        ,Sandeep C. Prakash 1
        ,V. Sreenivas 2
        andJacob Puliyel 1,*

Department of Pediatrics, St Stephens Hospital, Delhi 110054, India

Department of Biostatistics, All India Institute of Medical Sciences, New Delhi 10029, India

Author to whom correspondence should be addressed.

Received: 6 July 2018 / Revised: 4 August 2018 / Accepted: 14 August 2018 / Published: 15 August 2018
        (This article belongs to the Special Issue Vaccination and Health Outcomes)
        View Full-Text | Download PDF [766 KB, uploaded 15 August 2018] | Browse Figures

Abstract

The last case of polio from India was reported in 2011. That year, the non-polio acute flaccid paralysis (NPAFP) rate in India was 13.35/100,000, where the expected rate is 1–2/100,000. A previous study of data from 2000 to 2010 has detailed the NPAFP rate in a state correlated with the pulse polio rounds conducted there, and the strongest correlation with the NPAFP rate was found when the number of doses from the previous 4 years were used. However, a simple association being found with regression analysis does not prove a causal relationship. After publication of those findings, as the threat of polio had lessened, the number of rounds of OPV administration was brought down. The present study has been done to look at data till the end of 2017, to see if the incidence of NPAFP declined with this reduction in polio immunization rounds. We used polio surveillance data acquired by the Government of India from 2000–2017. Correlation of the NAFP rate to the number of polio rounds in the state was examined, and the cumulative effect of polio doses administered in previous years was sought. NPAFP rate correlated with the OPV pulse polio rounds in that year (R = 0.46; p < 0.001), and the NPAFP rate started to decrease from 2012 when the number of pulse polio rounds had decreased. NPAFP rates in the states of Uttar Pradesh (UP) and Bihar were the highest in the country. Looking at the high-NPAFP states of UP and Bihar, we found that the correlation coefficient was strongest when doses used over 5 years was considered (R = 0.76; p < 0.001). The response to the reduction in OPV rounds (de-challenging) adds credence to the assumption that OPV was responsible for the change in the NPAFP rate. Now that India has been polio-free for over 6 years, we propose that we may be able to reduce NPAFP by further reducing pulse polio rounds. View Full-Text
        Keywords: polio surveillance; AFP; oral polio vaccine; non-polio acute flaccid paralysis; Guillain Barre Syndrome
        ▼ Figures

Figure 1

This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited. (CC BY 4.0).

Share & Cite This Article

MDPI and ACS Style
        Dhiman, R.; Prakash, S.C.; Sreenivas, V.; Puliyel, J. Correlation between Non-Polio Acute Flaccid Paralysis Rates with Pulse Polio Frequency in India. Int. J. Environ. Res. Public Health 2018, 15, 1755.

The last case of polio from India was reported in 2011. That year, the non-polio acute flaccid paralysis (NPAFP) rate in India was 13.35/100,000, where the expected rate is 1–2/100,000. A previous study of data from 2000 to 2010 has detailed the NPAFP rate in a state correlated with the pulse polio rounds conducted there, and the strongest correlation with the NPAFP rate was found when the number of doses from the previous 4 years were used. However, a simple association being found with regression analysis does not prove a causal relationship. After publication of those findings, as the threat of polio had lessened, the number of rounds of OPV administration was brought down. The present study has been done to look at data till the end of 2017, to see if the incidence of NPAFP declined with this reduction in polio immunization rounds. We used polio surveillance data acquired by the Government of India from 2000–2017. Correlation of the NAFP rate to the number of polio rounds in the state was examined, and the cumulative effect of polio doses administered in previous years was sought. NPAFP rate correlated with the OPV pulse polio rounds in that year (R = 0.46; p < 0.001), and the NPAFP rate started to decrease from 2012 when the number of pulse polio rounds had decreased. NPAFP rates in the states of Uttar Pradesh (UP) and Bihar were the highest in the country. Looking at the high-NPAFP states of UP and Bihar, we found that the correlation coefficient was strongest when doses used over 5 years was considered (R = 0.76; p < 0.001). The response to the reduction in OPV rounds (de-challenging) adds credence to the assumption that OPV was responsible for the change in the NPAFP rate. Now that India has been polio-free for over 6 years, we propose that we may be able to reduce NPAFP by further reducing pulse polio rounds.

Comment

Views:	105
Size:	180.4 KB
ID:	798555

Comment

Views:	117
Size:	181.0 KB
ID:	799324

Comment

Views:	125
Size:	180.9 KB
ID:	799725

Comment

Views:	103
Size:	179.1 KB
ID:	800184

Comment

Views:	111
Size:	180.4 KB
ID:	801147

Comment

Views:	103
Size:	161.7 KB
ID:	802414

Comment

Views:	67
Size:	153.6 KB
ID:	805236

Comment

Working...
                      X