X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• India: Toxic alcohol kills 102 in Mumbai

India toxic alcohol kills 35 in Mumbai
    3 hours ago

At least 35 people have been killed after consuming toxic alcohol in India's western city of Mumbai (Bombay), local police say.
    They say residents of a slum in the Malad area fell ill after drinking the alcohol on Wednesday morning.
    More than 20 people are being treated in hospitals, amid fears that the death toll could rise.
    At least 84 people die after consuming toxic alcohol in India's western city of Mumbai, local police say.

Toxic liquor kills 33, leaves nine fighting for life in Mumbai in latest alcohol poisoning incident in India
    Posted about 3 hours ago

Thirty-three people have died in Mumbai and nine are fighting for their lives after drinking toxic home-made liquor, police said, in the latest incident of alcohol poisoning in India.

Dhananjay Kulkarni, Mumbai police deputy commissioner, said the victims had started to fall ill on Wednesday morning after consuming the illicit moonshine.

"Thirty-three people have died and at least nine are in a critical condition after they consumed spurious liquor. The death toll may rise," the commissioner said.

"Crime branch is investigating and three suspects are being held in custody," he said.

The three men, aged 30, 47, and 50, were arrested on Thursday night, he added.

Twitter: @RonanKelly13
    The views expressed are mine alone and do not represent the views of my employer or any other person or organization.

Mumbai: 41 dead after consuming hooch in Malvani; 21 critical

Friday, 19 June 2015 - 4:55pm IST | Place: Mumbai | Agency: Team iamin

The tragedy occurred at Lakshminagar Zopadpatti (slum) near Gamdevi Jurassic Park in Malvani area of Malad.

A total of 41 people have died after consuming illicit liquor in a slum near a resort in Malad, a suburb of Mumbai. Nine more are said to be in critical condition. "Death toll gone upto 41 and 21 more are critical and admitted in various hospitals," said deputy commissioner of police, detection, Dhananjay Kulkarni.

The tragedy occurred at Lakshminagar Zopadpatti (slum) near Gamdevi Jurassic Park in Malvani area of Malad, said DCP Dhananjay Kulkarni to Iamin. Kulkarni said several persons drank the concoction last night and by 7:30 pm this evening.
    The views expressed are mine alone and do not represent the views of my employer or any other person or organization.

Comment

8 cops suspended in Mumbai hooch case, death toll rises to 53
      HT Correspondent, Hindustan Times, Mumbai| Updated: Jun 19, 2015 23:12 IST

The death toll in the spurious country liquor case has gone up to 53 while as many as 28 are fighting for their lives in the city?s hospitals, authorities said on Friday, as they launched an inquiry into one of the worst incidents of alcohol poisoning in India.

The incident happened in a den at Laxminagar slums in Malwani.

Police arrested three men and charged them with culpable homicide as several residents of a slum in Malvani area fell ill after drinking the hooch being sold in packets of Rs 10 to Rs 30 by one of the accused on Wednesday.

The three men arrested were identified as Raju Hanmanta Pascar (50), Donald Robert Patel (47), and Gautam Harte (30), while two others were being questioned, officials said.

Comment

India Hooch Tragedy: Over 80 Dead In Mumbai After Drinking Tainted Alcohol
        By Aditya Tejas @Artejas a.tejas@ibtimes.com on June 20 2015 7:13 AM EDT

Over 80 people have died after consuming tainted bootleg alcohol in the Indian city of Mumbai. In this photo, high-rise residential buildings are seen behind a cluster of houses at a slum in Mumbai on May 6, 2014. Reuters/Danish Siddiqui
        Dozens of people in the Indian city of Mumbai died after drinking tainted liquor known as hooch, with the death toll climbing to over 80 on Saturday. Mumbai police officials said that another 31 victims were being treated at local hospitals, of whom at least a dozen were said to be critical.

A total of 82 people died by Saturday and another 120 were affected, Daily News and Analysis reported. Eight policemen linked to the sale of the tainted alcohol have been reportedly suspended, including ​Prakash Patil, a senior police commissioner of the Malwani district in Mumbai. Authorities have opened an inquiry to investigate the role the policemen played in the poisoning, and also arrested five people in connection with the case.
        Authorities in India's city of Mumbai have suspended several police officials linked to the sale of the tainted alcohol.

India toxic alcohol kills 84 in Mumbai
        1 hour ago

At least 84 people have been killed after consuming toxic alcohol in India's western city of Mumbai (Bombay), local police say.
        They say residents of a slum in the Malad area fell ill after drinking the alcohol on Wednesday morning.
        More than 30 other people are being treated in hospitals, and the death toll could rise further.
        At least 84 people die after consuming toxic alcohol in India's western city of Mumbai, local police say.

Comment

Mumbai: Death toll in Malvani hooch tragedy rises to 90, 120 affected; four excise officers suspended

Saturday, 20 June 2015 - 7:51pm IST | Place: Mumbai | Agency: dna
          Somendranath Sharma

According to Mumbai Police Commissioner Rakesh Maria, an enquiry has been constituted to probe the connivance of cops in this case with the bootleggers involved in the case.

Death toll in the Malwani hooch tragedy case has increased to 90 and 120 others are affected. Eight policemen from Malwani police station have been reportedly suspended in the matter. While so far five persons have been arrested by the crime branch in the case, an enquiry has been constituted to probe connivance from the part of the policemen. Excise department also suspended four of its officials in connection with the incident.

Comment

Mumbai liquor poisoning death toll rises to 94, Indian police say toll may rise
            Updated about 2 hours ago

Alcohol poisoning deaths in Mumbai

The death toll from India's latest incident of mass alcohol poisoning following the consumption of toxic homemade liquor has risen to 94, Mumbai police say.

Dhananjay Kulkarni, deputy police commissioner in the western Indian city, said it was possible the number of dead from drinking the illicit moonshine could reach three figures.

"More than 150 have consumed this alcohol. The death toll may rise," he said, with police adding that more than 45 others are in hospital.

Comment

Malvani hooch toll increases to 97, Rs 1 lakh aid announced for victims' kin

Monday, 22 June 2015 - 12:20am IST | Place: Mumbai | Agency: PTI

"The death toll has risen to 97 while 46 persons are still undergoing treatment in various hospitals of the city," Mumbai's Deputy Commissioner of Police Dhananjay Kulkarni told PTI.

The toll due to consumption of spurious liquor in Malad area of Mumbai climbed to 97 on Sunday with the death of seven more persons in the last 24 hours even as police arrested two bootleggers in connection with the incident.

"The death toll has risen to 97 while 46 persons are still undergoing treatment in various hospitals of the city," Mumbai's Deputy Commissioner of Police Dhananjay Kulkarni told PTI. The state government has announced compensation of Rs 1 lakh each to families of those who lost their lives in the tragedy. The announcement was made by Vinod Tawde, the guardian Minister of the Mumbai suburban district, who visited some of the affected families in Malad. The compensation will be provided from the Maharashtra Chief Minister's fund on Monday.

Comment

Maharashtra to change law after 102 hooch deaths
                PTI | June 23, 2015, 03.06 am IST

Mumbai: In order to stop the production and sale of illicit liquor, Maharashtra government is considering a proposal to amend the Maharashtra Prevention of Dangerous Activities of Slumlords, Bootleggers, Drug Offenders and Dangerous Persons Act (MPDA) even as the toll in Mumbai?s worst hooch tragedy rose to 102 on Monday.

Five more victims, who consumed the spurious liquor in Malad area, died on Monday while another 46 are in hospitals with eight of them struggling for survive.

Comment

Mumbai toxic alcohol 'supplier' arrested in Delhi
                  5 hours ago

Police in the Indian capital Delhi say they have arrested a man who supplied the toxic alcohol which has killed more than 100 people in the city of Mumbai.
                  The 26-year-old man smuggled the alcohol from neighbouring Gujarat state and delivered it to local dealers in Mumbai, the police said.
                  The liquor was then sold from illegal liquor vends in Mumbai.
                  Toxic alcohol deaths are a regular occurrence in India, where people often drink cheap bootleg liquor.
                  Police in the Indian capital, Delhi, arrest a man who supplied the toxic alcohol which killed more than 100 people in the city of Mumbai.

Comment

Working...
                  X