Why I Hope to Die at 75

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why I Hope to Die at 75

Forum members: Recently Dr. Ezekiel Emanuel published a long essay in the The Atlantic on Sept 17 entitled "Why I Hope to Die at 75: An argument that society and families -- and you -- will be better off if nature takes its course swiftly and promptly". I found it a very bold, very interesting and thought provoking article. Dr. Emanuel is director of the Clinical Bioethics Department at the U.S. National Institutes of Health. You can find his article here:

http://www.theatlantic.com/features/...-at-75/379329/

Yesterday, Brant S. Mittler MD, JD printed a reply in MedPageToday entitled "Counterpoint: Too Young to Die". This article was also a good read although a little too political in my opinion. Dr. Mittler has been a cardiologist in private practice in San Antonio for the past 38 years and has an active litigation practice in healthcare law. You can find his article here::

http://www.medpagetoday.com/Geriatri...utm_term=Daily

Point. Counterpoint. Your thoughts are welcome.
    Any opinions expressed in my posts are strictly my own and do not necessarily represent those of FluTrackers.com

Re: Why I Hope to Die at 75

Is it possible Dr. Emanuel is having quotations taken out of context?
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ezekiel_Emanuel
    Emanuel said the Complete Lives system was not meant to apply to health care in general, but only to a situation where "we don?t have enough organs for everybody who needs a transplant. You have one liver, you have three people who need the liver - who gets it? The solution isn?t ?We get more livers.? You can?t. It?s a tragic choice."[37]

Of the 1996 Hastings Center Report, Emanuel said, "I was examining two different, abstract philosophical positions to see what they might offer in the context of redoing the health-care system and trying to reduce resource consumption in health care. It's as abstractly philosophical as you can get on a practical question. I qualified it in 27 different ways, saying it wasn't my view."[66] He also said, "As far as rationing goes, it's nothing I've ever advocated for the health system as a whole, and I've talked about rationing only in the context of situations where you have limited items, like limited livers or limited vaccine, and not for overall health care."[67]
    Personally, I don't feel that the Hippocratic Oath is driving up the cost of healthcare. If anything, doctors need more freedom to practice their healing art.

Ask Congress to Investigate COVID Origins and Government Response to Pandemic H.R. 834

i love myself. the quietest. simplest. most powerful. revolution ever. ---- nayyirah waheed
    Governments don't have or own souls.

(My posts are not intended as advice or professional assessments of any kind.)
    Never forget Excalibur.

Comment

Working...
    X