Dobson 1927

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dobson 1927

why are the Dobson 1927 sequences so similar to the 1902 sequences ?
    That's quite unusual and surprising, still I couldn't find any comment
    about it.
    In other areas of science such things would be discussed heavily...,
    so what's going on in Biosciences ? Same with the Canadian swine,
    noone except HenryN commenting on it.

A/fowl/Dobson/1927(H7N7)
    A/chicken/Brescia/1902(H7N7)

also a A/FPV/Dobson/'Dutch'/(H7N7)

(FPV:fowl plague virus, later found to be influenza A)

Brescia is Italy, Dobson I found in North Carolina,USA (also in NZ?) but why "Dutch" ?
    was the 1902 virus conserved and released in 1927 ? How did it come to Dobson ?

--------------------------------------
    Israel, A. (1980). Genotypic and phenotypic characterization of a mammalian cell-adapted mutant of fowl plague virus (FPV). Journal of General Virology 51(Pt. 1): 33-44. ISSN: 0022-1317.

NAL Call Number: QR360.A1J6

Abstract: A mammalian cell-adapted mutant of the Dobson strain of fowl plague virus (FPV-B) was characterized. Genetic analyses of recombinants between a ts mutant of this virus and either the non-adapted Dobson strain or the Rostock strain of FPV showed that the gene coding for the P3 protein of the adapted Dobson strain was sufficient to enable any recombinant to grow in L cells. The abortive cycle of wild-type Dobson strain (FPV+) was compared to the productive cycle of the mutant. By using 100 p.f.u./cell, no quantitative difference could be detected in infected L cells between polypeptides and cRNAs induced by FPV+ and FPV-B. However, the maturation of virions at the plasma membrane did not proceed correctly. At a lower m.o.i. the amounts of virus polypeptides decreased with the m.o.i. This decrease was not the same for all polypeptides and cRNA segments: HA, M and NA and their mRNAs decreased to a greater extent than the others. These results are discussed in relation to a possible biological activity of polypeptide P3.

Descriptors: genes viral, influenza A virus avian genetics, virus replication, avian growth and development, avian metabolism, L cells cell line, mice, mutation, RNA viral biosynthesis, recombination, genetic, viral proteins biosynthesis.

----------------------------------------

JSTOR: Avian Influenza: Historical AspectsThe demonstration that "fowl plague" was caused by one of the few .... the virus was introduced into the country but Dobson suggested that disease may have ...

genbank gives Dobson as in USA, but also A/FPV/Dobson and the 'Dutch' from "United Kingdom"
    this also says Dobson is in UK

Last edited by sharon sanders; March 21, 2013, 04:30 PM. Reason: edit format
    I'm interested in expert panflu damage estimates
    my current links: http://bit.ly/hFI7H ILI-charts: http://bit.ly/CcRgT

Re: Dobson 1927

Originally posted by gsgs View Post
    why are the Dobson 1927 sequences so similar to the 1902 sequences ?
    That's quite unusual and surprising, still I couldn't find any comment
    about it.
    In other areas of science such things would be discussed heavily...,
    so what's going on in Biosciences ? Same with the Canadian swine,
    noone except HenryN commenting on it.

A/fowl/Dobson/1927(H7N7)
    A/chicken/Brescia/1902(H7N7)

also a A/FPV/Dobson/'Dutch'/(H7N7)

(FPV:fowl plague virus, later found to be influenza A)

Brescia is Italy, Dobson I found in North Carolina,USA (also in NZ?) but why "Dutch" ?
    was the 1902 virus conserved and released in 1927 ? How did it come to Dobson ?

--------------------------------------
    Israel, A. (1980). Genotypic and phenotypic characterization of a mammalian cell-adapted mutant of fowl plague virus (FPV). Journal of General Virology 51(Pt. 1): 33-44. ISSN: 0022-1317.

NAL Call Number: QR360.A1J6

Abstract: A mammalian cell-adapted mutant of the Dobson strain of fowl plague virus (FPV-B) was characterized. Genetic analyses of recombinants between a ts mutant of this virus and either the non-adapted Dobson strain or the Rostock strain of FPV showed that the gene coding for the P3 protein of the adapted Dobson strain was sufficient to enable any recombinant to grow in L cells. The abortive cycle of wild-type Dobson strain (FPV+) was compared to the productive cycle of the mutant. By using 100 p.f.u./cell, no quantitative difference could be detected in infected L cells between polypeptides and cRNAs induced by FPV+ and FPV-B. However, the maturation of virions at the plasma membrane did not proceed correctly. At a lower m.o.i. the amounts of virus polypeptides decreased with the m.o.i. This decrease was not the same for all polypeptides and cRNA segments: HA, M and NA and their mRNAs decreased to a greater extent than the others. These results are discussed in relation to a possible biological activity of polypeptide P3.

Descriptors: genes viral, influenza A virus avian genetics, virus replication, avian growth and development, avian metabolism, L cells cell line, mice, mutation, RNA viral biosynthesis, recombination, genetic, viral proteins biosynthesis.

----------------------------------------

JSTOR: Avian Influenza: Historical AspectsThe demonstration that "fowl plague" was caused by one of the few .... the virus was introduced into the country but Dobson suggested that disease may have ...

genbank gives Dobson as in USA, but also A/FPV/Dobson and the 'Dutch' from "United Kingdom"
    this also says Dobson is in UK

http://www.biohealthbase.org/GSearch...ator=influenza
    The conservation of sequences is well into the "Emperor Has No Clothes" category.
    Last edited by sharon sanders; March 21, 2013, 04:30 PM. Reason: edit format

Comment

Re: Dobson 1927

Avian Influenza provides the first comprehensive guide covering the full spectrum of this complex and increasingly high-profile disease, its history and its treatment and control. All aspects of avian influenza are dealt with in depth, systematically covering biology, virology, diagnostics, ecology, epidemiology, clinical medicine, and the control. The book fuses coverage of the latest discoveries in the basic sciences with a practical approach to dealing with the disease in a clinical setting, and providing instruction and guidance for veterinarians and government animal health officials encountering this disease in the field. Avian Influenza provides the reader with a global perspective, bringing together chapters written by leading animal health researchers and veterinarians with significant experience working with this disease. Providing a summary and synthesis of important data and research on this virus, its impact on both wild and domesticated birds, and approaches to controlling the spread of the disease, Avian Influenza will be an invaluable resource for all veterinarians, scientists, animal health professionals, and public health officials dealing with this virus. * Covers full range of topics within avian influenza in one comprehensive and authoritative text * Provides a summarization of peer-reviewed and empirical data on avian influenza viruses, the infection and diseases they cause * Discusses strategies used in control of the disease * Leading experts are drawn together to provide an international and multi-disciplinary perspective * Fuses latest developments in basic scientific research with practical guidance on management of the disease

> For example Petek (1981) states that the virus FPV-(fowl plague virus)-Brescia
      > was isolated in 1935 and has been erraneously called Brescia/02 but should be correctly
      > labeled A/chicken/Brescia/35 (H7N1). However there are references to FPV Brescia
      > that predate 1935 (26) and some samples before 1935 may have been correctly
      > maintained as A/chicken/Brescia/02 (91) (D.Alexander, personal communication,
      > February 27,2007).
      I'm interested in expert panflu damage estimates
      my current links: http://bit.ly/hFI7H ILI-charts: http://bit.ly/CcRgT

Comment

Working...
      X