Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ridiculous hype title ahead of Olympics: "Olympics Raise 'Extreme' Flu Pandemic Fears"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ridiculous hype title ahead of Olympics: "Olympics Raise 'Extreme' Flu Pandemic Fears"

The London Olympics will increase the already "extreme" risk of a flu pandemic hitting the UK, a report has warned.

Britain has been ranked second only to Singapore for its vulnerability to the rapid spread of an influenza outbreak.

And analysts believe this summer's Games will mean an even greater danger of flu spreading because of an extra 5.3 million tourists visiting Britain, many from countries where any pandemic is expected to emerge.

Bath-based analysts Maplecroft said the UK is at high risk partly because of its densely populated cities, highly mobile population and popularity as a global travel hub.

Maplecroft lists five countries at "extreme" risk for the spread of the flu, with Singapore top, followed by the UK, South Korea, the Netherlands and Germany.

Re: Olympics Raise 'Extreme' Flu Pandemic Fears

Thanks Tetano.

I find the title to this article highly exploitative.

Every country is at risk of "extreme" flu - all the time.

Comment

Re: Ridiculous hype title ahead of Olympics: "Olympics Raise 'Extreme' Flu Pandemic Fears"

I agree...

Comment

Re: Ridiculous hype title ahead of Olympics: "Olympics Raise 'Extreme' Flu Pandemic Fears"

Whether you're dealing with tropical storms, climate change or regulations, accurate risk data is essential. Discover our environmental risk indices today.

The real title is much milder: "Flu pandemics likely to spread fastest in travel hub UK, but country has one of the highest capacities to contain diseases ? global study"

But the "extreme risk" comes from their index.

The reports of the H1N1 deaths from Britain were horrible...families, pregancies, surprised contacts. I don't blame them for being scared.

I wonder how the travel estimates for the Olympixs compare with those for the Royal wedding.

J.

Comment

Working...
        X