Check out the FAQ,Terms of Service & Disclaimers by clicking the
link. Please register
to be able to post. By viewing this site you are agreeing to our Terms of Service and Acknowledge our Disclaimers.
FluTrackers.com Inc. does not provide medical advice. Information on this web site is collected from various internet resources, and the FluTrackers board of directors makes no warranty to the safety, efficacy, correctness or completeness of the information posted on this site by any author or poster.
The information collated here is for instructional and/or discussion purposes only and is NOT intended to diagnose or treat any disease, illness, or other medical condition. Every individual reader or poster should seek advice from their personal physician/healthcare practitioner before considering or using any interventions that are discussed on this website.
By continuing to access this website you agree to consult your personal physican before using any interventions posted on this website, and you agree to hold harmless FluTrackers.com Inc., the board of directors, the members, and all authors and posters for any effects from use of any medication, supplement, vitamin or other substance, device, intervention, etc. mentioned in posts on this website, or other internet venues referenced in posts on this website.
We are not asking for any donations. Do not donate to any entity who says they are raising funds for us.
A woman resident of Camuy became the sixth fatality from dengue so far this year, reported yesterday by Secretary of the Department of Health, Lorenzo Gonzalez.
Gonzalez gave no details of the female, except as an adult.
According to the latest report from the Center for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), at 28 weeks of the year, from 9 to 15 July, 692 were confirmed cases of dengue. That total represents 570 cases above the epidemic threshold.
DHF cases are kept at 25. The most prevalent serotype is the DEN-1.
The report adds that the regions with the highest number of cases are Bayam?n, Arecibo, Ponce and San Juan.
"The population has to react and take this situation seriously," said health minister.
On the other hand, Dr. Martha Patricia Cano, director of the Dengue Prevention Program of Health, reported that at week 31 of the year, from 2 to August 7, there were 662 suspected cases of dengue.
The total of suspected cases so far this year amounts to 8.488.
The region was reported more cases Bayamon (122). It was followed by Ponce (108), Metro (102), Arecibo (92), Aguadilla (71), Caguas (56), Mayaguez (37) and Fajardo (2).
Re: Puerto Rico: Dengue above epidemic threshold - 6 fatalities
Spanish to English translation
Sixth confirmed death from dengue
| 08/08/2010 | El Diario NY
San Juan / AP - Secretary of the Department of Health, Lorenzo Gonz?lez, confirmed the sixth death from dengue so far this year, a woman residing in the town of Camuy, on the north coast of Puerto Rico. Gonzalez said the information was provided by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC, for its acronym in English) of the U.S. city of Atlanta, with respect to the 28th week of year in March.
The report noted that for that week were a total of 692 cases, representing 570 on the epidemic threshold and confirms the spread of the disease in Puerto Rico.
The districts of Bayam?n, Arecibo, Ponce and San Juan are with the highest number of dengue cases, according to the report.
"The population has to react and take this situation seriously," said Gonzalez on unstoppable increase in cases in Cuba.
The official advised to combat the use of pest repellent, spraying the insides of homes and the identification of mosquito breeding.
The health minister said his agency continues to strengthen its education and counseling strategies for dengue prevention.
Gonzalez said the information was provided by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC, for its acronym in English) of the U.S. city of Atlanta, with respect to the 28th week of year in March.
The report noted that for that week were a total of 692 cases, representing 570 on the epidemic threshold and confirms the spread of the disease in Puerto Rico.
The districts of Bayam?n, Arecibo, Ponce and San Juan are with the highest number of dengue cases, according to the report.
"The population has to react and take this situation seriously," said Gonzalez on unstoppable increase in cases in Cuba.
The official advised to combat the use of pest repellent, spraying the insides of homes and the identification of mosquito breeding.
The health minister said his agency continues to strengthen its education and counseling strategies for dengue prevention.
Week 28
692 suspected cases reported
This number is ABOVE the epidemicthreshold.1
Week 27
595 suspected cases reported
299 (50.3% confirmed in thelaboratory2
62 (82%) municipios** had confirmed cases
Serotypes
In the last 8 weeks:
70% DENV-1,20% DENV-4,10% DENV-2,0% DENV-3
Accumulated in 2010
7175 suspected cases reported
3555 (50%) confirmed in thelaboratory2
25 confirmed cases of denguehemorrhagic fever (DHF)
6 confirmed fatal cases of dengue
Geographic classification
3
The level of dengue activity isEXTENDED.
Re: Puerto Rico: Dengue above epidemic threshold - 6 fatalities
Google: Spanish to English translation
Puerto Rico accounted for seventh death from dengue
13/08/2010 5:39 p.m.
EFE. San Juan. Dengue claimed its seventh fatality in Puerto Rico so far this year, reported the Health Department's assistant secretary, Concepci?n Longo Qui?ones.
"Much to our regret, we notify the Centers for Disease Control (CDC, for its acronym in English) confirmed the seventh death. This is a man of about 40 years old Arecibo Region," said Qui?ones Longo.
The official explained that the CDC report corresponds to the 29th week of the year, comprising of 16 to 22 July.
The CDC reported for that period 835 cases of dengue, which means 716 above the epidemic threshold, while in type 25 hemorrhagic cases remained undetected.
The municipalities with the highest number of cases were those of Patillas, Arecibo, Aguadilla, Guaynabo, Hatillo, Quebradillas, Penuelas, San Sebastian and Isabela.
"If the population does not give this matter the seriousness it deserves, then continue to see this alarming trend in reported cases. We need urgent and decisive action," said the official.
Longo Qui?ones recalled that as preventive measures against dengue should use repellents, spraying the insides of the houses and identify mosquito breeding sites located around the houses.
Re: Puerto Rico: Dengue above epidemic threshold - 7 fatalities
Google: Spanish to English translation
Health confirms eighth death from dengue so far in 2010
By Agencia EFE - 1 minute.
San Juan, 27 ago (EFE) .- The secretary of the Department of Health, Lorenzo Gonz?lez, confirmed the eighth death from dengue in Puerto Rico so far in 2010, a child died in the area of San Juan.
Gonzalez said that according to the weekly report of dengue surveillance of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC, for its acronym in English) for 31 weeks from 30 July to 5 August, were reported in Puerto Rico 904 cases of the disease, 737 on the epidemic threshold.
The official also reported that were registered during this period two more cases of dengue hemorrhagic fever, bringing the number to 27.
The municipalities with the highest number of confirmed cases for the period were those of Ponce, San Juan, Aguadilla, San Sebastian, Arecibo Bayam?n.
Gonzalez called on people to continue to identify mosquito breeding and the strengthening of preventive measures.
Re: Puerto Rico: Dengue above epidemic threshold - 20 fatalities
Spanish to English translation
Puerto Rico
September 11, 2010
Broken record dengue
The 20 deaths were reported in excess of 1998
By Keila Lopez Alicea / keila.lopez @ elnuevodia.com
The 2010 became the year yesterday in the largest number of fatalities caused by dengue, after the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC, for its acronym in English) confirmed two new deaths from the virus.
Thus, so far this year 20 people have died of dengue.
"We are saddened by the large number of people we have lost by the virus, but now we have to focus on what we can do to serve the rest of the population and prevent further contagion," said Secretary of the Department of Health, Lorenzo Gonz?lez .
The previous record of deaths from dengue was recorded in 1998, which killed 19 people.
Health epidemiologist, Carmen Deseda, only reported that the two victims were adults.
No specific information was given about their ages or the towns in which they lived.
The CDC report, released yesterday, reflecting registered cases for three weeks, so that the deaths occurred in the week that included the 13 to 19 August.
Also, the CDC confirmed an additional case of dengue hemorrhagic fever, more severe form of the virus, so the total now reaches 28. The report also notes that for this week reported 959 cases of dengue, 751 cases above the epidemic threshold.
While acknowledging the severity of the current epidemic of dengue, the Secretary indicated that the action plan of the agency is not about comparisons with previous years, it said that technological advances now make it possible to identify a greater number of cases.
"I'm not using this as an excuse, but one of the things that people do not understand is that we identify a number of people in the past died from conditions that were not specified and determination to take the analysis of liver tissue and in these cases, we have now been identified who died from dengue, "said Gonzalez.
Ineffective asperjaci?n
To handle cases of dengue, the Health Department now focuses on providing training to primary care physicians and emergency rooms, on the appropriate management of patients with symptoms of dengue. This after it was determined that most of those killed died after seeking medical care and being discharged.
"Definitely we continue the effort to train doctors in Puerto Rico, internists, emergency room doctor, primary care ... What we said is that it is necessary that those doctors who have the first interaction with patients are trained to handle cases, "Gonzalez said.
The official said that already 2,600 of the 7,000 doctors who receive trainings, have already taken. However, the Secretary has indicated that it does not rule out extending the requirement for other specialists in medicine have to take the courses.
Similarly, the health minister said he remains in communication with the mayors of 78 municipalities to assist in the work to reduce the spread of the mosquito Aedes aegypti. However, Gonzalez yesterday downplayed the asperjaci?n at a hearing of the House Committee on Health.
"The asperjaci?n is only 3 percent of the effort to combat the disease," said Secretary, referring to criticism from local leaders about the lack of spraying in the communities.
Continues at a steady pace
In addition to data from the U.S. organization, the information provided by the local agency indicated that this week will be reported 941 suspected cases of the virus.
Although in the past two weeks there had been a decrease in suspected cases reported by the Department of Health, this week more than 186 cases reported last week.
In total, the number of reported suspected cases of this virus as this year and amounted to 13.106.
According to the data provided this week by the Sanitation Programme of the Immediate Physical Environment Agency, the region with more cases is Bayamon, with a total of 187. Ponce followed with 169 cases and Arecibo, with 165.
All these cases must be now confirmed by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC, for its acronym in English).
Dengue Fever Kills 20 in Vacation Hotspot of Puerto Rico
Published September 13, 2010
| Associated Press
SAN JUAN, Puerto Rico ? Health officials say a record number of people have died from dengue so far this year in Puerto Rico.
The U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention says in a statement that 20 people have died from the mosquito-born virus in the U.S. Caribbean territory.
Center officials are investigating at least another dozen deaths possibly caused by the virus and more than 11,600 suspected cases. They also have confirmed 28 cases of the more serious hemorrhagic dengue...
Re: Puerto Rico: Dengue above epidemic threshold - 20 fatalities
Spanish to English translation
Two new deaths bring to 22 deaths caused by dengue in P. Rico in 2010
By Agencia EFE - 1 minute.
San Juan, Sept. 17 (EFE) .- Two new deaths, one adult and one minor, rose to 22 deaths caused by dengue in Puerto Rico so far this year, health authorities reported today in the Caribbean country.
Under Secretary of the Department of Health, Concepci?n Longo Qui?ones said through a statement that both deaths are included in the 12 suspected dengue deaths investigating the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC, for its acronym in English) .
Longo Qui?ones said a report from the CDC, between 20 and 26 past August, it reported 840 new cases of dengue.
With regard to dengue hemorrhagic fever, the patients are still at 28 so far this year, according to data provided by the official.
The municipalities with the highest number of cases registered during the week just ended were Bayamon, San Juan, Ponce, Arecibo, Quebradillas, and Guaynabo.
Health authorities in Puerto Rico earlier this month decreed a state of emergency public health following the confirmation of 10 new deaths from dengue fever, which could see a record of deaths in 2010 if the current trend is maintained.
Confirmed that the 12 deaths under study were due to dengue, would achieve the 32 deaths from the disease so far this year, leaving far behind the 19 recorded in 1998, an exercise that keeps a record of recent decades.
Comment