Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Marshall Islands: 2019 Dengue

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Marshall Islands: 2019 Dengue

    Source: http://www.mvariety.com/regional-new...fever-outbreak


    Marshalls restricts travel in wake of dengue fever outbreak
    09 Aug 2019
    By Giff Johnson - For Variety

    MAJURO ? The Marshall Islands put domestic travel restrictions into force Wednesday night this week in the wake of an outbreak of dengue fever on Ebeye Island.

    One dengue case was confirmed late last week, with 21 additional cases listed as ?probable.? Health authorities confirmed the dengue as ?Type 3.? In 2011, a major outbreak with 1,603 dengue cases hit the Marshall Islands, the last time dengue has been identified in this western Pacific nation. The dengue outbreak in 2011 was identified through laboratory testing as ?Type 4.?

    The Marshall Islands Cabinet declared a ?state of health emergency? on Tuesday, approving over $450,000 that can be used by the Ministry of Health and Human Services or MoHHS to counteract the problem at Ebeye. President Hilda Heine signed the emergency order Tuesday.

    Secretary of Health Jack Niedenthal issued a domestic travel advisory on Wednesday, restricting domestic travel from Ebeye to the outer atolls...

  • #2
    Source: https://www.rnz.co.nz/international/...eaches-capital




    Marshall Islands dengue outbreak reaches capital
    6:07 am today

    A dengue outbreak in the Marshall Islands has reached the capital Majuro, as the government maintains a state of emergency.

    Since July, there have been 150 cases of type 3 dengue in Ebeye Island, where the government has blocked some domestic travel from.

    On Friday, the Health Ministry said it had also found two cases in Majuro and imposed similar travel restrictions, which prevent access to and from the outer islands where health facilities are limited.

    The cases in Majuro have not been lab confirmed yet but the ministry is treating them as dengue cases because of the number of cases already confirmed. Samples have been sent off-island are expected to be confirmed by early this week.

    Health secretary Jack Neidenthal says hospital beds in Ebeye are so full that cots are being sent over from the capital.

    "The numbers have not plateaued yet," said Mr Niedenthal. "They are still going up."

    In 2011, during the last outbreak of dengue in the Marshall Islands, there were 1,600 cases...

    Comment


    • #3
      Source: https://reliefweb.int/report/marshal...er-1-situation

      Dengue-3 Outbreak in Republic of the Marshall Islands, June 25–December 1 - Situation Report Date: December 1, 2019
      Report from Government of the Marshall Islands
      Published on 01 Dec 2019

      Outbreak Overview

      Cases: To date there have been 1,395 dengue like illness of which 431 have been lab confirmed. This is outbreak week #29 in Ebeye, #17 in Majuro, #7 in Utrik and #6 in Aur. Symptom and age profile of cases is typical for dengue fever. One death and one severe dengue patient evacuated out-of-country to date...

      Comment

      Working...
      X