Uganda: Cholera Kills Two in Mbale District
Daniel Edyegu
31 May 2009
Kampala ? TWO people have died in a cholera outbreak in Bunghoko sub-county in Mbale district. The LC3 chairman, Ahmad Washaki, on Thursday said seven patients had been admitted at Busiu health centre, which initially served as a treatment point at the peak of the disease in the eastern region in May last year.
He explained that the first case was recorded on May 17, in Namonyo village, adding that the disease continued to spread to Shiruli, Khamoto and Bukhomeka villages.
"The disease has affected remote villages with barely any accessible roads. People have been transporting patients on stretchers and bicycles to the main road, which increases the risk of infection," Washaki said on Thursday.
He added that Nasyera Primary School in Bukhomeka village had been closed to check the spread of cholera among the pupils.
Washaki attributed the outbreak to the poor latrine coverage in the sub-county, which stands at 52%.
He said most pit-latrines in the area were shallow and of poor standard.
"Our enforcement team has been moving around villages demolishing such pit latrines," he said.
Yeus Bulobe, the Bunghoko sub-county chief, said they would arrest people who do not have pit-latrines. "The head of each home without a pit latrine will be liable to a fine of sh40,000 or imprisonment of three months or both."
The cholera outbreak brings the death toll in the district to four out of the 28 cases reported last month.
Daniel Edyegu
31 May 2009
Kampala ? TWO people have died in a cholera outbreak in Bunghoko sub-county in Mbale district. The LC3 chairman, Ahmad Washaki, on Thursday said seven patients had been admitted at Busiu health centre, which initially served as a treatment point at the peak of the disease in the eastern region in May last year.
He explained that the first case was recorded on May 17, in Namonyo village, adding that the disease continued to spread to Shiruli, Khamoto and Bukhomeka villages.
"The disease has affected remote villages with barely any accessible roads. People have been transporting patients on stretchers and bicycles to the main road, which increases the risk of infection," Washaki said on Thursday.
He added that Nasyera Primary School in Bukhomeka village had been closed to check the spread of cholera among the pupils.
Washaki attributed the outbreak to the poor latrine coverage in the sub-county, which stands at 52%.
He said most pit-latrines in the area were shallow and of poor standard.
"Our enforcement team has been moving around villages demolishing such pit latrines," he said.
Yeus Bulobe, the Bunghoko sub-county chief, said they would arrest people who do not have pit-latrines. "The head of each home without a pit latrine will be liable to a fine of sh40,000 or imprisonment of three months or both."
The cholera outbreak brings the death toll in the district to four out of the 28 cases reported last month.
Comment