Cholera outbreak death toll in Lindi rural now doubles
By The guardian reporter
18th July 2011 The number of people who have died of cholera outbreak in Lindi-rural district has now increased to 12 from six over the last week.
According to the acting district medical officer (DMO) Kazembe Mkunga, deaths resulted from cholera outbreak started to occur on July 6, this year.
He identified areas most hit by the outbreak, as Nyangao village which reported 8 deaths, Maumbika two deaths and one death in each of Mtua and Kilimahewa villages.
Dr Kazembe said since the eruption of cholera in the district, a total of 219 people had been affected by and had been treated at different health centres and dispensaries in the district, where special camps were set up to control the outbreak.
The camps were set up at Nyangao, Mtama, Kilimahewa, Mtua and Mahumbika villages, informed the acting DMO.
He said Nyangao camp was leading for receiving more victims as it received and treated 149 patients, Mahumbika 41 patients, Mtama 18, Mtua 10 and Kilimahewa 3.
Giving latest updates from the hospitals, Dr Kazembe said out of a total of 219 patients who had been admitted to designated camps, 192 got treated and were dismissed after a short period of time.
However, he said only 11 were still undergoing treatments at the camps. One patient had escaped while still undergoing treatment, said the acting DMO.
He advised people to take precautionary measures when cooking and taking food as well as water to avoid cholera, which he said could easily be avoided if people strictly observed hygiene rules, including washing hands before and after eating.
SOURCE: THE GUARDIAN
By The guardian reporter
18th July 2011 The number of people who have died of cholera outbreak in Lindi-rural district has now increased to 12 from six over the last week.
According to the acting district medical officer (DMO) Kazembe Mkunga, deaths resulted from cholera outbreak started to occur on July 6, this year.
He identified areas most hit by the outbreak, as Nyangao village which reported 8 deaths, Maumbika two deaths and one death in each of Mtua and Kilimahewa villages.
Dr Kazembe said since the eruption of cholera in the district, a total of 219 people had been affected by and had been treated at different health centres and dispensaries in the district, where special camps were set up to control the outbreak.
The camps were set up at Nyangao, Mtama, Kilimahewa, Mtua and Mahumbika villages, informed the acting DMO.
He said Nyangao camp was leading for receiving more victims as it received and treated 149 patients, Mahumbika 41 patients, Mtama 18, Mtua 10 and Kilimahewa 3.
Giving latest updates from the hospitals, Dr Kazembe said out of a total of 219 patients who had been admitted to designated camps, 192 got treated and were dismissed after a short period of time.
However, he said only 11 were still undergoing treatments at the camps. One patient had escaped while still undergoing treatment, said the acting DMO.
He advised people to take precautionary measures when cooking and taking food as well as water to avoid cholera, which he said could easily be avoided if people strictly observed hygiene rules, including washing hands before and after eating.
SOURCE: THE GUARDIAN