Source: http://www.newvision.co.ug/D/8/13/683556
Uganda's measles down by 90%
Wednesday, 3rd June, 2009
By Anthony Bugembe
THE World Health Organisation (WHO) has lauded Uganda?s efforts of reducing measles by over 90% in the last five years.
?The threat of measles has been relatively contained through the routine immunisation of children at nine months of age and the implementation of national immunisation campaigns in 2003 and 2006,? said Dr. Joaquim Saweka, the WHO country representative.
Saweka?s message was contained in a speech read by Dr. Fiona Braka of the WHO Uganda office during a measles and polio immunisation sensitisation meeting for MPs at Hotel Africana on Tuesday.
Dr. Possy Mugyenyi of the Uganda National Expanded Programme on Immunisation said measles isolation wards in most health facilities had been closed.
?There were 12 confirmed cases of measles last year,? said Mugyenyi.
Primary health state minister James Kakooza said the minimum immunisation coverage required to prevent measles outbreak is 95%.
The ministry will on Saturday start a three-day vaccination campaign of children under five years against measles and polio.
Uganda's measles down by 90%
Wednesday, 3rd June, 2009
By Anthony Bugembe
THE World Health Organisation (WHO) has lauded Uganda?s efforts of reducing measles by over 90% in the last five years.
?The threat of measles has been relatively contained through the routine immunisation of children at nine months of age and the implementation of national immunisation campaigns in 2003 and 2006,? said Dr. Joaquim Saweka, the WHO country representative.
Saweka?s message was contained in a speech read by Dr. Fiona Braka of the WHO Uganda office during a measles and polio immunisation sensitisation meeting for MPs at Hotel Africana on Tuesday.
Dr. Possy Mugyenyi of the Uganda National Expanded Programme on Immunisation said measles isolation wards in most health facilities had been closed.
?There were 12 confirmed cases of measles last year,? said Mugyenyi.
Primary health state minister James Kakooza said the minimum immunisation coverage required to prevent measles outbreak is 95%.
The ministry will on Saturday start a three-day vaccination campaign of children under five years against measles and polio.