Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Uganda: 2014 Measles outbreaks

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Uganda: 2014 Measles outbreaks

    Source: http://www.voanews.com/content/measl...a/1836959.html

    Measles Reported Among South Sudanese Refugees in Uganda
    Lisa Schlein
    January 24, 2014

    GENEVA ? The U.N. refugee agency is starting a mass immunization campaign to contain the spread of measles among South Sudanese refugees in northern Uganda. The Ugandan Ministry of Health confirms an outbreak of this killer disease among the more than 59,000 South Sudanese who crossed the border since fighting erupted across South Sudan last month.

    So far, the Ugandan Ministry of Health reports it has registered five cases of measles, and three suspected cases among refugees in the Arua area, near the border with South Sudan...

  • #2
    Re: Uganda: 2014 Measles outbreaks

    Source: http://www.newvision.co.ug/news/6518...residents.html

    Measles outbreak worries Kibaale residents
    Publish Date: Jan 27, 2014
    By Shamin Saad

    FOUR people have died and 10 others are being closely monitored after a suspected outbreak of measles in Kakindo and Birembo Sub Counties, Kibaale district.

    The four children died on Sunday after battling the diseases in a period of one week. They are aged between 2 to 8
    Three additional cases have been reported in Buyaga West County.

    According to William Mutesa, a member of the Village Health Team-VHT, before their death, the two presented high fever, general skin rash and running nose, which are known signs of measles...

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Uganda: 2014 Measles outbreaks

      Measles cases in Hoima rise to 39
      Posted by Francis Mugerwa

      on Tuesday, February 11 2014 at 02:00
      Hoima- The number of measles cases in Hoima District has risen to 39 as health officials fear that hundreds of other residents are at risk of contracting the disease.
      Health workers confirmed the outbreak in the district recently.
      ?We have registered a cumulative number of 39 cases. We have not registered more deaths other than the two people who died shortly before the disease was confirmed,? the district health inspector, Mr Fredrick Byenume, said, adding that health workers were making interventions to control further infections.

      The disease has been confirmed in Kamwokya, Bukinda, Kasonga, Rwensambya, Wairaga villages in Kyangwali Sub-county and in Mparo Division in Hoima Municipality.
      Mr Byenume said most patients are children below the age of five.
      ...
      Twitter: @RonanKelly13
      The views expressed are mine alone and do not represent the views of my employer or any other person or organization.

      Comment

      Working...
      X