Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Possible H1N1 death in the NWT- likely not

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Possible H1N1 death in the NWT- likely not

    Source: http://nnsl.com/northern-news-servic...ep14_09sw.html

    Possible H1N1 death in the NWT

    Tim Edwards
    Northern News Services
    Published Monday, September 14, 2009

    SOMBA K'E/YELLOWKNIFE - The death of an NWT resident last week meets the criteria associated with H1N1 flu deaths, despite official testing yet to confirm the deceased had the virus, according to Damien Healy, spokesperson for the Department of Health and Social Services.

    "Pending lab confirmation, which takes five to seven days, we'll know more later next week," Healy said.

    "If it is, in fact, lab-confirmed H1N1, we would issue a public health advisory and hold a media event."

    Healy said the department does not yet know the exact cause of death.

    Details about the resident were not confirmed by the department due to patient confidentiality. The deceased may be a father of two from Fort Simpson who died on Wednesday, according to members of that community.

    Marie Lafferty, president of the Metis Nation in Fort Simpson, said that the man who died was a healthy man in his 50s who came down with flu symptoms and died.

    "He was in his 50s, but he was always really healthy. It's a real shock," said Lafferty.

    Lafferty said the man worked out of town, but she believes he was in town when he got sick.

    "He was treated here. They were going to medevac him but a few hours later he was gone," said Lafferty. "If we have it in town, I think that if people are sick they should stay close to home and get checked. What else can you do?" The best way to avoid catching the H1N1 flu virus, according to Dr. Kami Kandola, acting chief medical officer of the NWT, is to avoid close contact with those who have flu-like symptoms.

    People are told to wash hands regularly and thoroughly, or use hand sanitizer when soap and water are not available.

    If residents have flu-like symptoms, they are advised to call the health lines available on the department of health website. Calling the phone lines rather than going to a healthcare centre is the safest route for the community, because sick patients at health centres may be more susceptible to the disease than healthy people.

  • #2
    Re: Possible H1N1 death in the NWT

    Source: http://www.cbc.ca/canada/north/story...u-results.html


    N.W.T. death likely not from swine flu
    Last Updated: Tuesday, September 15, 2009 | 10:52 AM CT Comments0Recommend0
    CBC News

    A Fort Simpson, N.W.T., man who died last week likely did not have swine flu, although health officials are being coy in revealing test results.

    Health Department spokesman Damien Healy would not specify whether the man's test results came back negative or positive on Monday.

    Healy would only tell CBC News late Monday that there are no deaths from the H1N1 influenza virus in the Northwest Territories to date, and that the department is no longer waiting for test results.

    Last week, Healy said the Fort Simpson man, who died on Wednesday, had been showing severe flu-like symptoms.

    Health officials had sent a swab from the deceased man to a laboratory in Alberta.

    The department had originally expected the results in five to seven business days, but Healy said authorities requested that the process be sped up.

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Possible H1N1 death in the NWT- likely not

      N.W.T. death not from swine flu: coroner
      Last Updated: Thursday, September 17, 2009 | 1:47 PM CT
      CBC News
      A Fort Simpson, N.W.T., man who died of flu-like symptoms last week did not have swine flu as previously suspected, the territory's chief coroner confirmed Thursday.

      Garth Eggenberger told CBC News that preliminary test results came in this week that showed the man did not have the H1N1 influenza A virus.

      The man died Sept. 9 from what health officials described as severe flu-like symptoms, so a swab from the deceased was sent to a laboratory in Alberta.

      "The symptoms that he displayed were similar to H1N1 [influenza] or to the annual flu," Eggenberger said Thursday.

      "He had flu-like symptoms, and that's where maybe the confusion arose, but it was not the H1N1 flu that he died from."

      Earlier this week, the territorial Health Department would not confirm the test results, citing patient confidentiality.

      At the time, a department spokesman would only say there are no deaths from the H1N1 virus in the N.W.T. to date and that the department was no longer awaiting test results.

      Eggenberger said further tests will determine the specific cause of the man's death.

      "If you could for a moment rise up out of your own beloved skin and appraise ant, human, and virus as equally resourceful beings, you might admire the accord they have all struck in Africa. Back in your skin of course, you'll shriek for a cure. But remember: air travel, roads, cities, prostitution, the congregation of people for efficient commerce - these are gifts of godspeed to the virus"
      The Poisonwood Bible

      Comment

      Working...
      X