Source: https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/ast...r-55-1.5968128
Immunization committee to recommend provinces stop giving AstraZeneca vaccine to those under 55: sources
The updated guidelines come following reports of rare blood clots
David Cochrane, John Paul Tasker ? CBC News ? Posted: Mar 29, 2021 1:04 PM ET | Last Updated: 23 minutes ago
Canada's National Advisory Committee on Immunization (NACI) is expected to recommend today a pause in the use of the AstraZeneca-Oxford COVID-19 vaccine on those under the age of 55 because of safety concerns, sources told CBC News.
The updated guidelines will be issued later today, according to sources who spoke on the condition of anonymity. The expected change comes following reports of rare blood clots in some immunized patients.
Canada is expected to receive 1.5 million doses of this product from the U.S. on Tuesday.
The AstraZeneca shot has not been widely used in people under the age of 55 in this country. Some jurisdictions, such as P.E.I., have been using some of their supply to immunize young people who work in public-facing sectors like grocery and convenience stores. In New Brunswick, the shot was made available to first responders and some teachers last week.
A spokesperson for P.E.I.'s health department confirmed use of the vaccine had been suspended.
"Appointments at pharmacies for AstraZeneca vaccine for those 18-29 are on hold pending anticipated further information from Health Canada and NACI," the department said in an email.
Speaking to reporters in Niagara Falls, Ont., Ontario Premier Doug Ford said today that the province would follow NACI's guidance and reserve the current supply of AstraZeneca for those in the older cohort...
Immunization committee to recommend provinces stop giving AstraZeneca vaccine to those under 55: sources
The updated guidelines come following reports of rare blood clots
David Cochrane, John Paul Tasker ? CBC News ? Posted: Mar 29, 2021 1:04 PM ET | Last Updated: 23 minutes ago
Canada's National Advisory Committee on Immunization (NACI) is expected to recommend today a pause in the use of the AstraZeneca-Oxford COVID-19 vaccine on those under the age of 55 because of safety concerns, sources told CBC News.
The updated guidelines will be issued later today, according to sources who spoke on the condition of anonymity. The expected change comes following reports of rare blood clots in some immunized patients.
Canada is expected to receive 1.5 million doses of this product from the U.S. on Tuesday.
The AstraZeneca shot has not been widely used in people under the age of 55 in this country. Some jurisdictions, such as P.E.I., have been using some of their supply to immunize young people who work in public-facing sectors like grocery and convenience stores. In New Brunswick, the shot was made available to first responders and some teachers last week.
A spokesperson for P.E.I.'s health department confirmed use of the vaccine had been suspended.
"Appointments at pharmacies for AstraZeneca vaccine for those 18-29 are on hold pending anticipated further information from Health Canada and NACI," the department said in an email.
Speaking to reporters in Niagara Falls, Ont., Ontario Premier Doug Ford said today that the province would follow NACI's guidance and reserve the current supply of AstraZeneca for those in the older cohort...
Comment