• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thailand: Dead German tourist tests positive for swine flu

Dead German tourist tests positive for swine flu - Update

Posted : Tue, 19 May 2009 07:41:46 GMT
    Author : DPA
    Category : Health

Bangkok - A 59-year-old German tourist who died of flu-like symptoms at a Thai beach resort was initially tested positive for H1N1 at a lab in Bangkok, but authorities are awaiting further tests before confirming the country's possible first swine-flu fatality. Police Lieutenant General Somyot Deemak, head of the Institute of Forensic Medicine at the Police General Hospital, said their lab had detected H1N1 in the woman's body fluids.

He said further tests will be conducted at the Public Health Ministry, with an official announcement of the results expected soon.

The German woman arrived in Thailand, on May 12, showing no flu symptoms, and drove to Hua Hin resort, 130 kilometres south-west of Bangkok, with her husband and their child, Health Ministry Deputy Permanent Secretary Paichit Walachit said.

On Saturday, she was admitted to Hua Hin Hospital, suffering from a pneumonia and fever. She died Monday night, Paichit said.

Her body was sent to the Institute of Forensic Medicine at the Police General Hospital in Bangkok for autopsy to determine if she was infected with H1N1.

Thailand has reported two confirmed cases of H1N1, both Thai nationals who had recently visited Mexico. Both fully recovered after receiving anti-influenza drugs.

There are eight other people still in quarantine at Thai hospitals under observation for suspected swine flu.

Thailand has imposed a host of preventative measures against the spread of H1N1, including the use of heat-seeking devices at the country's main international airports to detect arrivals suffering from fever.

The country has a stockpile of 1.32 million tablets of oseltamivir and the Health Ministry set aside a special budget to buy enough raw materials to produce locally another 2 million tablets.

My note:

There were two other mysterious death in Thailand (500 miles south of were the german woman died), the two woman 27 and 22 lived at the same hotel (they were unrelated), in the weekend may 2nd. Both young woman died withing 24 hours after falling ill, they couldn?t breath and they were vomiting heavily (one boyfrined said his finace turned blue and died on the way to hospital). Both womas boyfriends got sick too, but mildly and have both recovered.
    Health authoritis say they belive they were possibly poisened (cyanide).
    There is a lot of contradicting info on thise two cases on the net, and as far as I know there is still no conclution on cause of death.
    However I wonder if they also died from H1N1? they at least should be tested IMO.

What started as a romantic Southeast Asia vacation for a Seattle couple ended with Ryan Kells preparing Friday to return from Bangkok carrying the ashes of his fiancee to give to her family in California.

Re: Thailand: Dead German tourist tests positive for swine flu

Re your note at the bottom of your post.

*Big breath*.... OK, I'm going to risk incurring the wrath of Florida1 and getting banned for ever and ever for posting up here in the News section yet again.

I don't know if this can be qualified as "news" or not, but here's an account of what happened to one of the tourists who died on Phi Phi. It was written by her boyfriend.

http://jillstonge.blogspot.com/2009/...-ryan-via.html

The illness sounds like it struck too quickly for it to have been H1N1 and the symptoms don't really sound flulike either. It could have been related to the aircon system. Off the top of my head, the only disease I can think of that's associated with A/C is Legionnaire's Disease. Maybe CO poisoning?

Comment

Tourist died of pneumonia, not swine flu

<dl class="columnistProfile"><dd>By: BangkokPost.com and AFP</dd><dd>Published: 19/05/2009 at 02:17 PM</dd></dl> Lab tests confirm that a German tourist who died in Thailand while under surveillance for suspected swine flu was not infected with the A(H1N1) virus, a public health ministry spokesman said on Tuesday.
      She was put under surveillance on Saturday and she died on Monday night on her way to a Bangkok hospital from the coastal resort of Hua Hin, spokesman Suphan Srithamma said.

The results of laboratory tests to confirm whether she had the virus were known on Wednesday evening.
      Deputy Public Health Minister Manit Nopamornbodee confirmed that the tests showed that the woman died from pneumonia and ordinary flu.

The woman had arrived in Thailand with her partner and went to Hua Hin last Tuesday. She came down with flu-like symptoms a few days later, he said. She was admitted to hospital.
      Thailand has confirmed two cases of swine flu so far, both Thai nationals who caught the virus in Mexico. Both are now fully recovered, according to health officials.

The health ministry said 21 people were currently under surveillance for suspected swine flu.
      The dead woman's body was being kept at the Police General Hospital in Bangkok. The 14 medical staff who had worked on her body were briefly held in quarantine then released after the swine flu tests on the woman's body proved negative.
      -snip-
      All the latest top stories and breaking news. Thailand’s most credible source of Thai and international developments. In-depth business and political news, leading Lifestyle trends, broad international sports coverage, plus English language learning

Comment

Thanks for the corrections, I?m glad my newsreports paned out to be wrong

TF

Comment

Working...
        X