Source: http://www.etaiwannews.com/etn/news_...&lang=eng_news
Taiwan records 12th death from H1N1 virus
Central News Agency
2009-09-11 06:33 PM
Taipei, Sept. 11 (CNA) The health authorities reported Friday Taiwan's 12th fatality from influenza A(H1N1), an 83-year-old man who suffered from underlying chronic disease, in Taipei City.
The patient, who had suffered from tuberculosis, spontaneous pulmonary fibrosis and tongue cancer, had been bedridden for a long time, according to Chiu Wen-hsiang, chief of the city's health department.
The man came down with a fever Sept. 5 and was diagnosed with pneumonia by a local clinic, Chiu said.
Seeking further medical attention at a medical center Sept. 7, the man tested positive for influenza A and was immediately treated with the anti-viral drug Tamiflu, Chiu said.
However, he died of respiratory failure caused by pneumonia Sept.
9, and the result of further testing confirmed that he had the H1N1 virus, Chiu said.
The man was the third patient to die from the disease in Taipei City and was also the oldest.
As the new flu strain continues to spread, many hospitals have launched special outpatient services for flu patients.
Chiu said that since the Taipei City Hospital launched the service Sept. 7, its five branches had each received 40 patients per day on average.
One third of the patients were diagnosed with influenza A through rapid screening tests, nearly 40 percent of whom were later determined to be infected with the H1N1 subtype, he said.
To avoid a waste of medical resources, those who have not displayed any flu-like symptoms and those who have been ruled out by physicians as suffering from flu should not request any rapid screening tests, he stressed.
Meanwhile, statistics compiled by the Central Epidemics Command Center show that there were 12 more patients hospitalized with the H1N1 flu strain than a day earlier, bringing to 186 the total number of such cases since the outbreak began.
While 48 of the patients remained in the hospital, 126 had recovered and had been discharged, the CECC said.
Meanwhile that day, 302 classes in 207 schools around the country remained suspended because of H1N1 infections among students, according to the CECC.
(By Y.F. Low)
Taiwan records 12th death from H1N1 virus
Central News Agency
2009-09-11 06:33 PM
Taipei, Sept. 11 (CNA) The health authorities reported Friday Taiwan's 12th fatality from influenza A(H1N1), an 83-year-old man who suffered from underlying chronic disease, in Taipei City.
The patient, who had suffered from tuberculosis, spontaneous pulmonary fibrosis and tongue cancer, had been bedridden for a long time, according to Chiu Wen-hsiang, chief of the city's health department.
The man came down with a fever Sept. 5 and was diagnosed with pneumonia by a local clinic, Chiu said.
Seeking further medical attention at a medical center Sept. 7, the man tested positive for influenza A and was immediately treated with the anti-viral drug Tamiflu, Chiu said.
However, he died of respiratory failure caused by pneumonia Sept.
9, and the result of further testing confirmed that he had the H1N1 virus, Chiu said.
The man was the third patient to die from the disease in Taipei City and was also the oldest.
As the new flu strain continues to spread, many hospitals have launched special outpatient services for flu patients.
Chiu said that since the Taipei City Hospital launched the service Sept. 7, its five branches had each received 40 patients per day on average.
One third of the patients were diagnosed with influenza A through rapid screening tests, nearly 40 percent of whom were later determined to be infected with the H1N1 subtype, he said.
To avoid a waste of medical resources, those who have not displayed any flu-like symptoms and those who have been ruled out by physicians as suffering from flu should not request any rapid screening tests, he stressed.
Meanwhile, statistics compiled by the Central Epidemics Command Center show that there were 12 more patients hospitalized with the H1N1 flu strain than a day earlier, bringing to 186 the total number of such cases since the outbreak began.
While 48 of the patients remained in the hospital, 126 had recovered and had been discharged, the CECC said.
Meanwhile that day, 302 classes in 207 schools around the country remained suspended because of H1N1 infections among students, according to the CECC.
(By Y.F. Low)
Comment