• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Increase in diarrhoea cases, some cholera suspected

Infections among kids on the rise
    Muhammad Qasim
    Thursday, May 19, 2011
    Rawalpindi

The onset of heat spell in this region of the country has given rise to certain infections among children and infants while health experts fear that the situation might worsen if proper preventive measures are not taken by the parents in time.

The healthcare facilities, including allied hospitals, are receiving heavy influx of child patients with heat related infections including diarrhoea. The health experts say that a major reason behind sharp increase in number of cases of diarrhoea is lack of awareness among parents on how to avoid such infections.

?We are receiving great number of child patients with diarrhoea at Benazir Bhutto Hospital while a few suspected cases of cholera have also been reported, however, they are not confirmed positive as yet,? said Head of Paediatrics Department at the BBH Dr Rai Asghar while talking to ?The News?.

The News International - latest news and breaking news about Pakistan, world, sports, cricket, business, entertainment, weather, education, lifestyle; opinion & blog | brings 24 x 7 updates
    Twitter: @RonanKelly13
    The views expressed are mine alone and do not represent the views of my employer or any other person or organization.

Re: Increase in diarrhoea cases, some cholera suspected

PIMS treats 250 gastro patients in 24 hours
    Shahina Maqbool
    Saturday, May 21, 2011
    Islamabad

*Over 250 patients suffering from gastroenteritis underwent emergency treatment at the Pakistan Institute of Medical Sciences (PIMS) in the last 24 hours only. They were treated in the emergency and outpatient departments of the hospital?s adult and paediatric wings.

Fifteen per cent of the patients brought to the emergency of the main hospital were severely dehydrated, while 30 per cent had mild to moderate dehydration. The rest of the patients are said to have been discharged after medical advice, the hospital?s spokesperson Dr. Waseem Khawaja told this scribe.

The News International - latest news and breaking news about Pakistan, world, sports, cricket, business, entertainment, weather, education, lifestyle; opinion & blog | brings 24 x 7 updates
    The views expressed are mine alone and do not represent the views of my employer or any other person or organization.

Comment

Re: Increase in diarrhoea cases, some cholera suspected

Dozens of diarrhoea cases being reported
      Saturday, June 11, 2011
      Karachi

Medical experts have cautioned that diarrhoea cases could compound among children due to changing weather patterns and anticipated rains as dozens of such cases are being reported in different hospitals on a daily basis.

Executive Director, National Institute of Child Health (NICH), Prof Dr Jamaal Raza said that scores of children die due to diarrhoea for having failed to get timely treatment.

The disease usually surfaces in the summer season. He said that currently 50 children were being reported at the NICH infested with the diarrhoea every day.

Comment

Working...
      X