Mystery illness kills at least 20 in Nepal in the last 10 days

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Mystery illness kills at least 20 in Nepal in the last 10 days

Jeremy, I agree with you. H5N1 has a predilection for children and those who are only a little older. The older you get the less likely you are to succumb. So, if this is killing the very old and the very young, I don't think it is H5N1.
    Please do not ask me for medical advice, I am not a medical doctor.

Avatar is a painting by Alan Pollack, titled, "Plague". I'm sure it was an accident that the plague girl happened to look almost like my twin.
    Thank you,
    Shannon Bennett

Comment

Originally posted by Shannon
      Jeremy, I agree with you. H5N1 has a predilection for children and those who are only a little older. The older you get the less likely you are to succumb. So, if this is killing the very old and the very young, I don't think it is H5N1.
      They say "Most of those who have died are children and the elderly".

The only pause I have is with the phrase "most".

I am probably overanalyzing at this point but this phrase doesn't rule out that some of the dead are people in the middle aged group.

Furthermore we don't know if those that are in critical condition are also children and elderly.

That being said, the more the reports do come out with the deaths being with children and elderly the less likely H5N1 is going to be the culprit.

Comment

Killer disease in Banke was malaria, not dengue [ 2006-11-6 ]
        From Indira Aryal
        BANKE (Piparhawa), Nov. 5: Laboratory test in the epidemic areas of Banke district identified Falciparum malaria instead of dengue, which was suspected earlier.

A total of 32 people have died and several hundred suffered from fever, headache, cough and severs in the 10 VDCs of the district. Around 1,200 people were affected by malaria in four VDCs and 521 people were tested positive for falciparum malaria and the rest by vivax malaria. Twelve serious cases have been referred to Bheri Zonal Hospital.

When no medical facility was available locally many suffering took medicines prescribed by fake doctors coming from across the border. Hirduram Dhobi, 30, of Piparhawa said he took medicines prescribed by doctors coming from bordering of India. The fever was controlled for a few days and then starts again. He has been suffering from fever and headache for the last 10 days. Dhobi has been taken to Bheri Zonal Hospital. It took a lot of time for the team coming from Kathmandu to convince him to go to the hospital.

Piparhawa is the worst affected VDC with small children to old people suffering from the disease. Eleven people died in the VDC alone and all of the 25 huts in the village have at least one or two suffering form the disease.

A medical team by Dr. Mahesh Maskey, advisor at the Minister for Health and Population Amik Serchan, local team from Banke district, a team for laboratory test from Hetuda have been mobilised in the area to assess the situation and provide services. The team found that was falciparum malaria.

Those affected were brought to the health camp organised by Epidemiology and Disease Control Unit (EDCU) under the MoHP, Nepalgunj Nursing Hospital and World Health Organisation (WHO). Six teams from different organisations have been mobilising in the area.

Dr. Suman Thapa, who was involving in the treatment and test, said that there was no death from malaria after the mobilisation of the team. There was one death and it was from diarrhoea.

The team carried out regular lab test and checked up everyone in the VDCs. Although more cases were found, but there is no death. Doctors said that the outbreak was caused due to the recent flood.

Thapa said the doses of the medicines prescribed and distributed by the quacks were incomplete. They were also not authorised to prescribe the drugs and they charged heavily. Still, people prefer them than to go to the health post or the hospital. They were even unwilling to come to the camp. "The doctors visited their homes and convinced them before they were willing to come to the camp or to go to the zonal hospital,"said Dr. Thapa.

Around 10 VDCs in remote parts of the district, including Gangapur, Fattepur-Piparhawa, Narainapur and Holia VDCs have been affected by Falciparum for the last week weeks causing 32 deaths.

Dr. Maskey said that the major cause of death was malaria, but there are also deaths from other diseases. If it were only malaria the toll would not have been so high.

Dr. Soe Aung, epidemiologist of WHO Nepal, said that there are only a few new cases of malaria and there would be no new epidemic in the area. He said it would take at least two weeks to control the disease. He said no case of dengue was found and there was no risk of dengue in the area.

Health worker at the Banke Health Post Narayan Sharma said there was a similar epidemic in the area about two decades ago, but the death was not so high. He said controlling the spread in such a small area was a challenge.

Sharma said that first people suffer from fever, stomachache, diarrhea, and headache and then the patient fainted. He said that there is no doctor in the whole nine VDCs of the area. He said more than 300 people became sick in Sonbarsa VDC alone.

There has been spraying programme in the affected VDCs to control malaria. There are 292 houses in the Sonbarsa VDC and there is plan to complete spraying in all the houses within two days and then start in another VDC.

The epidemic had started from October 18 but the information about the outbreak had reached the district headquarters only after 10 days. Health worker at the Fattepur Health Post Durga Sharma said people were not aware about the epidemic and the locals do not take any initiative to control the disease. The death toll would not have been so high if the epidemic was reported earlier.

Comment

11 malaria patients under observation
          Sunday, November 05,2006

BANKE: The Banke District Public Health Office (DPHO) is keeping 11 malaria-stricken patients of Banke district under observation from Saturday.
          Banke DPHO chief Jay Bahadur Karki said: ?The patients are undergoing treatment under the direct supervision of doctors. Steps are underway to shift these patients to Nepalgunj.?
          A medical team deployed here had referred the patients to Nepalgunj on Wednesday. However, the patients? relatives could not take them to Nepalgunj due to poverty. ?The patients are undergoing free treatment here. The DPHO is bearing all the expenses of their treatment,? Karki said. Karki said the team is still active in malaria-affected areas to locate malaria patients and treat them.

Comment

Working...
          X