Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A possible substitue for honey bees for pollenation ?? (Any feedback)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A possible substitue for honey bees for pollenation ?? (Any feedback)

All thanks to Amish Country

Since the time to find alternative solution is now, here a possible substitute honey bees for pollenisation. This is a commercial site. But the plans for the bee block may also be used to attact wild native mason bees.

The problem at
    Mystery killer silencing honeybees

This alternative at

Please knowlegeable people share your expertise.

Thank you
    Snowy Owl

Re: A possible substitue for honey bees for pollenation ?? (Any feedback)

Thank you for posting this!
    "There's a chance peace will come in your life - please buy one" - Melanie Safka
    "The greatest way to live with honor in this world is to be what we pretend to be" - Socrates

Comment

Does anyone know if these bee's are indigenous to only Japan or are they native to other areas as well. The reason for this question is, here in Michigan they chose to import a Japanese Beadle some years ago. The introduction of this beadle was due to a decreased number of ladybugs in the area. This lack of ladybugs caused an increase in the amount of crops that were infested by other destructive insects. The solution was to introduce this Japanese Beadle. It looked extremely simular to the ladybug. They thrived in our areas for many years. Now they are so plentiful that it is rare you ever see a true lady bug. Their numbers have increased so much that you find them inside your house in the fall and spring. I never recall seeing ladybugs in this number in the past. In my area now, it is not uncommon to see hundreds of them flying around your house looking for a place to sun themselves. Im not truly sure why their numbers are so high, but could be possible they do not have a natural predator here? Could it also be possible that this could happen with bees as well? Just pondering all the possibilities...
      Thanks Snowy, this is an important issue.

Comment

For backyard trees and small orchards, there is always old-fashioned hand pollination.

As an example, Calimoya orchards in CA are ALL hand pollinated.

In mid-summer, small flowers and delicate leaves emerge, decorating the trees in a fragrant lace. The heady aroma signals to the Calimoya? growers that the trees are ready to be hand-pollinated. In the Andes a nocturnal beetle does the pollination work, in California we do it by hand, using great care and the most advanced botanical science.
        from http://www.calimoya.com/about/orchard-tour.html
        "The next major advancement in the health of American people will be determined by what the individual is willing to do for himself"-- John Knowles, Former President of the Rockefeller Foundation

Comment

Sincere thanks Alaska Denise,

We Now need alternative way of pollenisation on site.

Comment

More information on mason (orchard) bees.

We were put on this earth to help and take care of one another.

Comment

I can't find the thread that explains the definitions of sequences. Why the red bold, and how to identify if it's a human sequence?

Comment

Commonground here:

Thanks for asking. I made this thread a sticky.

Comment

I have had excellent results with mason bees in the past. theres a good native population in North Central SC that did a great job in my garden there. i wouldnt hesitate to import some to my area, and help create a niche for them.

There are many different pollinators that do the work of honeybees. Many small indigenous wasps-they were espeically plentiful in SE WI.

One way to ensure your pollinators come to visit is to create a haven for them. Several seed companies sell Beneficial Insect mixes- mixed flowers and herbs that you can seed ina small bed or area in or surrounding or bordering your garden and fruit tree areas. Here's an example from a company I trust (usual disclaimers apply) http://www.johnnyseeds.com/catalog/p...bmix&item=1832

These mixes attract and provide feed and habitat for many polinators (including bees!) and when drawn to the area, they will busily work to pollinate the crops you want them too.

You can recreate these mixes by checking the catalog formulas, or use a few old gardening tricks- allow some alliums to overwinter and bloom the following spring. Leeks are especially good at attracting many different polllinators. Any other overwintering and flowing umbrel type flowers are also very attractive to wild pallinators- such as carrot, and the brassicas.

Leave a few in and let them flower next year, you'll be amazed at the activity. The buzzing of all the busy pollinators gets so audible as you near the garden, its like the entire area is humming!
                  Upon this gifted age, in its dark hour,
                  Rains from the sky a meteoric shower
                  Of facts....They lie unquestioned, uncombined.
                  Wisdom enough to leech us of our ill
                  Is daily spun, but there exists no loom
                  To weave it into fabric..
                  Edna St. Vincent Millay "Huntsman, What Quarry"
                  All my posts to this forum are for fair use and educational purposes only.

Comment

Working...
                  X