• FluTrackers.com Inc. does not provide medical advice. Information on this web site is collected from various internet resources, and the FluTrackers board of directors makes no warranty to the safety, efficacy, correctness or completeness of the information posted on this site by any author or poster. The information collated here is for instructional and/or discussion purposes only and is NOT intended to diagnose or treat any disease, illness, or other medical condition. Every individual reader or poster should seek advice from their personal physician/healthcare practitioner before considering or using any interventions that are discussed on this website. By continuing to access this website you agree to consult your personal physican before using any interventions posted on this website, and you agree to hold harmless FluTrackers.com Inc., the board of directors, the members, and all authors and posters for any effects from use of any medication, supplement, vitamin or other substance, device, intervention, etc. mentioned in posts on this website, or other internet venues referenced in posts on this website.
  • We are not asking for any donations. Do not donate to any entity who says they are raising funds for us.

Zambia: Cholera outbreaks

Shiloh

Editor, Senior Moderator
Source: http://www.lusakatimes.com/?p=23241

Wednesday, January 20, 2010, 9:30

Zambia: Kapoto residents refuse to drink treated water because ?it can make them impotent?

Residents of Kapoto shanty compound where cholera has broken out in Kitwe have shocked the district administration after they refused to be drinking treated water allegedly for fear of becoming impotent.

ZANIS Kitwe reports that Kitwe District Commissioner Macdonald Mtine confirmed that the community in Kapoto compound was not taking free treated water which the Nkana Water and Sewerage Company was providing.

This is despite the outbreak of cholera in the area.

Mr. Mtine, who is also Kitwe District Epidemic Preparedness Committee chairman, said seven people from Kapoto have already been treated for cholera but surprisingly, the rest of the people in the area have continued to drink water from shallow wells located near pit latrines.

He said the people of the damp Kapoto compound should start using treated water from the Nkana Water Kiosks to enable health authorities to contain the cholera situation.

Mr. Mtine expressed worry at the traditional myth circulating in Kapota compound that treated water had certain particles that would make them impotent once they took it.

He said the continuous use of water from shallow wells located near pit latrines was dangerous and exposing the community to more water borne diseases.

He has since appealed to the community not to compromise their health and instead drink treated water.

ZANIS
 
Re: Zambia: Cholera outbreaks

Source: http://www.lusakatimes.com/?p=23782

Saturday, February 6, 2010, 17:47 | Health

Zambia: Cholera claims one life in Sinazongwe

One person has died of cholera and four others have been admitted to Sinamalima Clinic in Malima area in Sinazongwe District.

Malima Ward Councilor Fisher Zimana who disclosed this to ZANIS today said the Cholera situation in his area has continued to worsen day by day since the disease broke out in October last year.

Mr Zimana said the cholera cases were from sinalulungwe, mwanamalu and mukalanga villages in Chief Sinazongwe?s area.

He said the health personnel have visited the area to have the body of woman from Sinalulungwe village be buried.

The ward councillor has since appealed to the district health office to set up a Cholera centre at Nabukowa Health post.

He said two weeks ago four people died of Cholera in Malima and one person died upon his arrival at Sinazeze clinic last week.

Sinazongwe district Director of Health Dr Elias Chipandwe also confirmed the death of cholera patients during the last two weeks.

Sinazeze Epidemic Preparedness Committee Chairperson Jeff kayamba said the opening up of the Cholera centre at Nabukowa will ease the pressure that the Health personnel have been facing since the water borne disease broke out in October last year.

Mr Kayamba said it was unfortunate that the District Health Management team has not been sending people to asist the staff at Sinazeze Cholera centre whenever there was an outbreak of the deadly disease.

ZANIS
 
Re: Zambia: Cholera outbreaks

Source: http://www.africanews.com/site/Cholera_cases_increase_in_Zambia/list_messages/30329

Cholera cases increase in Zambia

Posted on Tuesday 2 March 2010 - 11:25
Sanday

Sanday Chongo Kabange AfricaNews reporter in Lusaka, Zambia
The widespread cholera outbreak has continued to rise in Zambia, creating panic and fear that is if not contained urgently; the water-borne disease might lead to deaths of people living in flooded regions of the country.

Since the onset of the rainy season late 2009, many parts of Zambia have been shrouded in a mist of floods which have since forced some evacuations in certain areas while far flung places have been cut-off from the capital, Lusaka, causing a further drain to service supplies to rural areas.

Humanitarian agencies such as Red Cross, World Vision and Oxfam have been collaborating with the Lusaka government?s Disaster Management and Mitigation Unit to resettle some of the flood victims, most of whom are also infected with cholera.

According to the Ministry of Health, cholera cases have shot up to 559 after 17 new cases were recorded over the weekend.

?17 new cases were recorded over the weekend, bringing the total number of cholera cases in the country to 559 in three provinces namely, Lusaka, Copperbelt and Southern Provinces,? said Reuben Kamoto Mbewe, Ministry of Health spokesperson.

Meanwhile, heavy rains have continued to water the southern African state, leaving a trail of destruction in rural areas and farming communities scattered along the line of rail.

Weather experts say the sudden fluctuations in Zambia?s weather pattern might be as a result of climate change and global warming.

In 2007-2008, Zambia alongside, Namibia, Mozambique, Zimbabwe, Angola, Malawi and Swaziland were hit by massive floods which effected food crop and livestock production.
 
Re: Zambia: Cholera outbreaks

Source: http://www.africanews.com/site/Zambia_11_die_of_cholera/list_messages/30714

Zambia: 11 die of cholera
Sanday Chongo Kabange, AfricaNews reporter in Lusaka, Zambia

Eleven people have died of cholera in Zambia since the outbreak of the disease at the onset of rainy season in late 2009. The waterborne disease is endemic in the southern African state during the wet and rainy season of October to March.

According to the Ministry of Health spokesperson Reuben Kamoto Mbewe, there has also been an increase in cholera cases from 241 in February to 564 in March.

He said however, that the Ministry of Health has continued to monitor the situation from escalating and that basic water and sanitation measures are being provided to vulnerable communities nationwide.
 
Re: Zambia: Cholera outbreaks

Zambia: Cholera death toll rise to 49

Posted on Tuesday 30 March 2010 - 12:40

Sanday Chongo Kabange, AfricaNews reporter in Lusaka, Zambia
The cholera death toll in Zambia has risen from 11 to 49 since it was last reported on October 23, 2009. Health authorities in the southern African state say to date, 2514 cases of cholera have been recorded nationwide with Lusaka having the highest number of cases, followed by the mining region of Copperbelt and then southern Zambia.
Ministry of Health spokesperson Reuben Kamoto Mbewe told reporters the death toll had risen from 11 to 49 as at Monday, March 22, 2010.

Mbewe said, his department is working round the clock to ensure that the outbreak does not escalate and take a toll on more lives.

“I wish to state that as a way of controlling the spread of cholera, the Ministry of Health would like to discourage unnecessary public gathering which mostly raise health hazards,” he said.

Several parts of Zambia are under severe flooding following days of heavy rains.
Close to 1000 people in Lusaka alone have been evacuated from their usual habitants to a makeshift site on higher grounds outside the Independence Stadium, north of Lusaka.

Fears are growing that the rising population at the temporal campsite might spark a humanitarian crisis as demand for basic social and sanitary services continues to grow.

Zambia is yet to declare the flood surge a national disaster and win the support of the international community.

President Rupiah Banda’s administration has remained confident that it will handle the flood surge while the opposition continues to accuse government of failing Zambians by not declaring the floods a national disaster.
http://www.africanews.com/site/Zambia_Cholera_death_toll_rise_to_49/list_messages/30958
 
Re: Zambia: Cholera outbreaks

Source: http://allafrica.com/stories/201004120443.html


Zambia: MSF Responds to Worst Cholera Outbreak in Years
12 April 2010

press release

In Lusaka, the capital city of Zambia, M?decins Sans Fronti?res (MSF) is responding to the worst cholera outbreaks in the country for many years.

Over the last five weeks the number of cholera cases has risen dramatically to more than 4,500, while more than 120 people have lost their lives. Despite hopes that the outbreak has reached its peak the previous week and that the number of cholera cases will start decreasing, heavy rains that continue to cause severe floods in the city could potentially worsen the situation in the coming weeks.

MSF teams are working around the clock to treat people affected by cholera and try to contain the spread of the outbreak...

****

Source: http://www.zambianwatchdog.com/2010/04/12/govt-disputes-msf-cholera-figues/

Govt disputes MSF Cholera figues

By Times Reporter

ZAMBIA has recorded 996 new cases of cholera with 87 deaths countrywide since last year when the rainy season started contrary to the report attributed to the Medecins Sans Frontieres or Doctors without Borders (MSF) which said the number of cholera cases in the country had risen to 4,000 with 120 deaths.

Ministry of Health spokesperson Reuben Kamoto Mbewe said in an interview last Friday that the latest cholera cases were 996 from March month end to April 7 this year.

He said 982 cases were recorded in Lusaka province while the Copperbelt had recorded six cases.

Dr Mbewe said Southern Province had recorded two cases while Luapula had recorded three.
Central Province had also recorded three cases of Cholera.

Dr Mbewe said the number of deaths so far from the time cholera started this season was 87.

Acting Ministry of Health spokesperson Elizabeth Chizema said yesterday that this year?s outbreak of cholera was not the worst and that some cases were not even confirmed but were being treated as cholera cases...
 
Back
Top