Theresa42
Well-known member
Ibb Chicken Death Mystery, But Officials Deny Bird Flu
By Abdul-Aziz Oudah
Apr 18, 2006
SANA?A ? Health specialists are carrying out tests for bird flu in the Al-Saddah area of Ibb governorate following the mystery death of 220 chickens, according to sources in the Ibb health office.
The monitoring team is focusing tests on the village of Hawra, close to where the 220 dead chickens were found dumped beside the main road of Al-Saddah province.
The teams have reassured fears that no bird flu has been found so far in any samples, but said investigations as to why the birds should have been left are continuing.
Local sources said that ?great numbers? of chickens were thrown onto the main road last Wednesday, but said they did not know where they had come from.
Inspection teams were called to inspect the chickens, who denied they died from the potentially deadly bird flu virus. They suggested the birds had been dumped because their meat was rotten.
Dr. Abdul-Karim Yahya Ras?a, the Minister of Public Health and Population, in addition to the Minister of Agriculture and Irrigation, renewed their assurances that Yemen remains free from bird flu. They added that there was no need to be afraid from eating chicken.
Their assurances came after a meeting of the Supreme National Committee for Bird Flu, who reported that they are fully prepared, and remain on ?full alert? for a potential outbreak of the virus sweeping the world.
The two ministers confirmed the readiness of hospitals and testing laboratories, adding that monitoring teams drawn from both ministries had been trained.
Yahya Ras?a said the government has allocated YR 2 billion to ensure Yemen was ready, and had taken every precaution. The Ministry of Health has established five centers for inspections and studying samples of bird flu, he added.
This is in addition to establishing surveillance centers with 540 trained and qualified members, and stock piling of medicine if the virus breaks out and spreads to humans. A total of 250,000 capsules are ready for adults and 4,000 syrup bottles for children.
The Ministry of Agriculture has also taken precautions to prevent bird flu. They have formed an operation unit and 36 surveillance teams in all governorates.
They have also carried out field visits to several governorates and collected 1400 samples for study and diagnosis. They have also banned the import of live birds and contacted concerned international organizations.
http://www.yobserver.com/news_9935.php
By Abdul-Aziz Oudah
Apr 18, 2006
SANA?A ? Health specialists are carrying out tests for bird flu in the Al-Saddah area of Ibb governorate following the mystery death of 220 chickens, according to sources in the Ibb health office.
The monitoring team is focusing tests on the village of Hawra, close to where the 220 dead chickens were found dumped beside the main road of Al-Saddah province.
The teams have reassured fears that no bird flu has been found so far in any samples, but said investigations as to why the birds should have been left are continuing.
Local sources said that ?great numbers? of chickens were thrown onto the main road last Wednesday, but said they did not know where they had come from.
Inspection teams were called to inspect the chickens, who denied they died from the potentially deadly bird flu virus. They suggested the birds had been dumped because their meat was rotten.
Dr. Abdul-Karim Yahya Ras?a, the Minister of Public Health and Population, in addition to the Minister of Agriculture and Irrigation, renewed their assurances that Yemen remains free from bird flu. They added that there was no need to be afraid from eating chicken.
Their assurances came after a meeting of the Supreme National Committee for Bird Flu, who reported that they are fully prepared, and remain on ?full alert? for a potential outbreak of the virus sweeping the world.
The two ministers confirmed the readiness of hospitals and testing laboratories, adding that monitoring teams drawn from both ministries had been trained.
Yahya Ras?a said the government has allocated YR 2 billion to ensure Yemen was ready, and had taken every precaution. The Ministry of Health has established five centers for inspections and studying samples of bird flu, he added.
This is in addition to establishing surveillance centers with 540 trained and qualified members, and stock piling of medicine if the virus breaks out and spreads to humans. A total of 250,000 capsules are ready for adults and 4,000 syrup bottles for children.
The Ministry of Agriculture has also taken precautions to prevent bird flu. They have formed an operation unit and 36 surveillance teams in all governorates.
They have also carried out field visits to several governorates and collected 1400 samples for study and diagnosis. They have also banned the import of live birds and contacted concerned international organizations.
http://www.yobserver.com/news_9935.php