• FluTrackers.com Inc. does not provide medical advice. Information on this web site is collected from various internet resources, and the FluTrackers board of directors makes no warranty to the safety, efficacy, correctness or completeness of the information posted on this site by any author or poster. The information collated here is for instructional and/or discussion purposes only and is NOT intended to diagnose or treat any disease, illness, or other medical condition. Every individual reader or poster should seek advice from their personal physician/healthcare practitioner before considering or using any interventions that are discussed on this website. By continuing to access this website you agree to consult your personal physican before using any interventions posted on this website, and you agree to hold harmless FluTrackers.com Inc., the board of directors, the members, and all authors and posters for any effects from use of any medication, supplement, vitamin or other substance, device, intervention, etc. mentioned in posts on this website, or other internet venues referenced in posts on this website.
  • We are not asking for any donations. Do not donate to any entity who says they are raising funds for us.

WHO combats chikungunya in Papua New Guinea (WPRO, September 11 2013)

Giuseppe

Emeritus
[Source: World Health Organization, Regional Office for the Western Pacific, full page: (LINK).]


WHO combats chikungunya in Papua New Guinea

News release


PORT MORESBY, 11 September 2013 - The World Health Organization (WHO) is working with the Government of Papua New Guinea and other stakeholders to control an outbreak of chikungunya in the Pacific country.

"We must do more to put chikungunya back in its box," says WHO Representative in Papua New Guinea Dr William Adu-Krow. "It's bad enough that the country already struggles with isolated cases of dengue. The presence of another mosquito-borne viral disease is putting the welfare of many others at grave risk."

The symptoms of chikungunya include fever, severe joint pain, muscle pain, headache, nausea, fatigue and rash. There is no cure, and treatment focuses on relieving the symptoms. The disease was first noticed in 1952 in Tanzania and is now endemic in parts of Africa and Asia.

WHO has supported the Papua New Guinea National Department of Health to develop and distribute fact sheets and other health materials about chikungunya and dengue, advising the public on appropriate care, on reducing the risk of mosquito bites and on eliminating mosquito breeding sites. It has also assisted health authorities to develop clinical management guidelines for distribution to all provinces.

WHO has funded an entomology study in Vanimo, the capital of Sandaun province, to determine which species of mosquito?Aedes aegypti or Aedes albopictus?is involved in the outbreak. WHO developed a diagnostic protocol for suspected chikungunya and dengue cases and procured dengue rapid tests.

A WHO epidemiologist and a technical officer have provided clinical management seminars in a variety of clinical settings and have appeared on radio and television to promote awareness of chikungunya and dengue. The diseases demand a joint response because of the similarities in their clinical presentation and the way they are spread.

A national task force has been formed, comprising key stakeholders such as the National Department of Health at Papua New Guinea, WHO, the National Agricultural Quarantine and Inspection Authority, PNG Ports Corporation, the national customs and immigrations services and others. The task force developed outbreak response plans and works with surveillance officers in all 20 provinces to increase vigilance for chikungunya and dengue.

The chikungunya outbreak was first detected in June 2012 in Vanimo. Since then, cases spread to East New Britain province, New Ireland, Morobe, Eastern Highlands, West New Britain, Madang, Chimbu, National Capital District, Jiwaka and Manus provinces. It is also suspected to have occurred in Oro and Southern Highlands provinces.

The first two cases in the capital of Port Moresby were confirmed on 17 April 2013 by the Papua New Guinea Institute of Medical Research. Since then, hundreds of suspected cases have been detected in the Port Moresby area.

For further information, please contact:

Mr Steven Busin, Information and Communications Officer, WHO Representative Office in Papua New Guinea, Telephone: +675 7350 2107, E-mail: busins@wpro.who.int / Mr Ruel E. Serrano, Assistant, Public Information Office, Telephone: +632 528 8001, E-mail: serranor@wpro.who.int


-
------
 
Back
Top