• FluTrackers.com Inc. does not provide medical advice. Information on this web site is collected from various internet resources, and the FluTrackers board of directors makes no warranty to the safety, efficacy, correctness or completeness of the information posted on this site by any author or poster. The information collated here is for instructional and/or discussion purposes only and is NOT intended to diagnose or treat any disease, illness, or other medical condition. Every individual reader or poster should seek advice from their personal physician/healthcare practitioner before considering or using any interventions that are discussed on this website. By continuing to access this website you agree to consult your personal physican before using any interventions posted on this website, and you agree to hold harmless FluTrackers.com Inc., the board of directors, the members, and all authors and posters for any effects from use of any medication, supplement, vitamin or other substance, device, intervention, etc. mentioned in posts on this website, or other internet venues referenced in posts on this website.
  • We are not asking for any donations. Do not donate to any entity who says they are raising funds for us.

WHO admits China did not report coronavirus outbreak in early stages?

Shiloh

Editor, Senior Moderator
Source: https://www.indiatvnews.com/news/wo...china-did-not-report-covid-19-outbreak-631402

WHO admits China did not report coronavirus outbreak in early stages
A small change in the coronavirus timeline on the official website of World Health Organisation (WHO) is being highlighted as the agency's admission that China did not report coronavirus outbreak.
India TV News Desk India TV News Desk
New Delhi Updated on: July 03, 2020 20:18 IST

A small change in the coronavirus timeline on the official website of World Health Organisation (WHO) is being highlighted as the agency's admission that China did not report coronavirus outbreak. The initial position of the WHO has been suggesting that China had indeed reported news of the outbreak. However, new information has everyone thinking about the issue.

The Washington Examiner, a weekly magazine in the US has reported the news.

What has changed on the WHO website?

WHO maintains a timeline of coronavirus pandemic from its early stages when it was limited to Wuhan City in China's Hubei province.

The OLD entry in this timeline reads:

December 31, 2019: Wuhan Municipal Health Commission, China, reported a cluster of cases of pneumonia in Wuhan, Hubei Province. A novel coronavirus was eventually identified.

The CHANGED entry reads:

December 31, 2019: WHO’s Country Office in the People’s Republic of China picked up a media statement by the Wuhan Municipal Health Commission from their website on cases of ‘viral pneumonia’ in Wuhan, People’s Republic of China.


What does this mean?

Earlier entry says that Chinese authorities "reported" the initial outbreak.

But the changed entry says that the WHO "picked up" a media statement. This may mean that WHO was not officially intimated of the outbreak by the Chinese authorities...
 
WHO revises coronavirus timeline to clarify its China office raised alert, not authorities

UN agency staff saw media announcement about ‘viral pneumonia’ on Wuhan Health Commission website on December 31

Information was provided by Chinese authorities on January 3, after two requests from the organisation

Agence France-Presse
Agence France-Presse
Published: 2:28pm, 4 Jul, 2020

The World Health Organisation was alerted by its own office in China, and not by Chinese authorities, to the first cases in the early stages of the coronavirus pandemic, according to an updated account from the UN health body.
...
WHO director general Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus told a press conference on April 20 the first report had come from China, without specifying whether the report had been sent by Chinese authorities or another source. But a new chronology, published this week by the Geneva-based institution, offers a more detailed version of events.
...
It indicates that it was the WHO office in China that notified its regional point of contact on December 31 of a case of “viral pneumonia” after finding a declaration for the media on a Wuhan health commission website. On the same day, the WHO’s epidemic information service picked up another news report – from US-based international epidemiological surveillance network ProMed – about the same group of cases from unknown causes in Wuhan.
...

https://www.scmp.com/news/china/sci...irus-timeline-clarify-its-china-office-raised

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Archived: WHO Timeline - COVID-19

27 April 2020

Statement
This statement is no longer maintained. An updated version was published on 29 June 2020.




31 Dec 2019

Wuhan Municipal Health Commission, China, reported a cluster of cases of pneumonia in Wuhan, Hubei Province. A novel coronavirus was eventually identified.

1 January 2020

WHO had set up the IMST (Incident Management Support Team) across the three levels of the organization: headquarters, regional headquarters and country level, putting the organization on an emergency footing for dealing with the outbreak.

4 January 2020

WHO reported on social media that there was a cluster of pneumonia cases – with no deaths – in Wuhan, Hubei province.

...
https://www.who.int/news-room/detail...ine---covid-19


---------------------------------------

Timeline of WHO’s response to COVID-19

Last updated 30 June 2020

29 June 2020

Statement
...

------


31 Dec 2019


WHO’s Country Office in the People’s Republic of China picked up a media statement by the Wuhan Municipal Health Commission from their website on cases of ‘viral pneumonia’ in Wuhan, People’s Republic of China.

The Country Office notified the International Health Regulations (IHR) focal point in the WHO Western Pacific Regional Office about the Wuhan Municipal Health Commission media statement of the cases and provided a translation of it.

WHO’s Epidemic Intelligence from Open Sources (EIOS) platform also picked up a media report on ProMED (a programme of the International Society for Infectious Diseases) about the same cluster of cases of “pneumonia of unknown cause”, in Wuhan.

Several health authorities from around the world contacted WHO seeking additional information.

1 January 2020


WHO requested information on the reported cluster of atypical pneumonia cases in Wuhan from the Chinese authorities.

WHO activated its Incident Management Support Team (IMST), as part of its emergency response framework, which ensures coordination of activities and response across the three levels of WHO (Headquarters, Regional, Country) for public health emergencies.

2 January 2020


The WHO Representative in China wrote to the National Health Commission, offering WHO support and repeating the request for further information on the cluster of cases.

WHO informed Global Outbreak Alert and Response Network (GOARN) partners about the cluster of pneumonia cases in the People’s Republic of China. GOARN partners include major public health agencies, laboratories, sister UN agencies, international organizations and NGOs.

3 January 2020


Chinese officials provided information to WHO on the cluster of cases of ‘viral pneumonia of unknown cause’ identified in Wuhan.

4 January 2020


WHO tweeted that there was a cluster of pneumonia cases – with no deaths – in Wuhan, Hubei province, People’s Republic of China, and that investigations to identify the cause were underway.
...

https://www.who.int/news-room/detail...-covidtimeline
 
All of the above shows the process working as it should both in China and at the WHO. There was a very small spike, against the background of community acquired pneumonia cases, and the Wuhan health authorities did well, due to additional surveillance measures instituted after the SAR-1 outbreak, to spot it. Promed, Flutrackers, the WHO China office and others who watch for such announcements picked this up. WHO asked for details and China investigated further and then provided them within a couple days. There was still no epidemic or a large outbreak just a few cases against the 100 or so cases Wuhan would expect to get per day. Kudos to Wuhan health authorities for spotting it and immediately posting that they had something potentially odd going on.
 
hat tip Shiloh


Video at link below.....




Published 2 hours ago

EXCLUSIVE: Chinese virologist accuses Beijing of coronavirus cover-up, flees Hong Kong: 'I know how they treat whistleblowers'

Li-Meng Yan told Fox News that she believes China knew about the coronavirus well before it claimed it did. She says her supervisors also ignored research she was doing that she believes could have saved lives.

snip

She also claims the co-director of a WHO-affiliated lab, Professor Malik Peiris, knew but didn't do anything about it.

Peiris also did not respond to requests for comment. The WHO website lists Peiris as an "adviser" on the WHO International Health Regulations Emergency Committee for Pneumonia due to the Novel Coronavirus 2019-nCoV.

Yan was frustrated, but not surprised.

"I already know that would happen because I know the corruption among this kind of international organization like the WHO to China government, and to China Communist Party," she said. "So basically... I accept it but I don't want this misleading information to spread to the world."


more..

https://www.foxnews.com/world/chines...-whistleblower
 
A search of Dr. Yan on PubMed yields the following papers:



Viral dynamics in mild and severe cases of COVID-19.
Liu Y, Yan LM, Wan L, Xiang TX, Le A, Liu JM, Peiris M, Poon LLM, Zhang W.Lancet Infect Dis. 2020 Jun;20(6):656-657. doi: 10.1016/S1473-3099(20)30232-2. Epub 2020 Mar 19.PMID: 32199493 Free PMC article. No abstract available.


Pathogenesis and transmission of SARS-CoV-2 in golden hamsters.
Sia SF, Yan LM, Chin AWH, Fung K, Choy KT, Wong AYL, Kaewpreedee P, Perera RAPM, Poon LLM, Nicholls JM, Peiris M, Yen HL.Nature. 2020 May 14. doi: 10.1038/s41586-020-2342-5. Online ahead of print.PMID: 32408338


The Hurdles From Bench to Bedside in the Realization and Implementation of a Universal Influenza Vaccine.
Valkenburg SA, Leung NHL, Bull MB, Yan LM,Li APY, Poon LLM, Cowling BJ.Front Immunol. 2018 Jul 2;9:1479. doi: 10.3389/fimmu.2018.01479. eCollection 2018.PMID: 30013557 Free PMC article. Review.


Combined use of live-attenuated and inactivated influenza vaccines to enhance heterosubtypic protection.
Yan LM,Li OTW, Poh CM, Perera RAPM, Valkenburg SA, Peiris M, Poon LLM.Virology. 2018 Dec;525:73-82. doi: 10.1016/j.virol.2018.09.007. Epub 2018 Sep 21.PMID: 30248524 Free PMC article.


Irradiation induced injury reduces energy metabolism in small intestine of Tibet minipigs.
Wang YJ, Liu W, Chen C, Yan LM, Song J, Guo KY, Wang G, Wu QH, Gu WW.PLoS One. 2013;8(3):e58970. doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0058970. Epub 2013 Mar 19.PMID: 23527059 Free PMC article.


The diagnostic value of 18F-FDG-PET/CT in hematopoietic radiation toxicity: a Tibet minipig model.
Chen C, Yan LM, Guo KY, Wang YJ, Zou F, Gu WW, Tang H,Li YL, Wu SJ.J Radiat Res. 2012 Jul;53(4):537-44. doi: 10.1093/jrr/rrs006. Epub 2012 Jun 6.PMID: 22843618 Free PMC article.


Heterosubtypic Protection Induced by a Live Attenuated Influenza Virus Vaccine Expressing Galactose-α-1,3-Galactose Epitopes in Infected Cells.
Yan LM, Lau SPN, Poh CM, Chan VSF, Chan MCW, Peiris M, Poon LLM.mBio. 2020 Mar 3;11(2):e00027-20. doi: 10.1128/mBio.00027-20.PMID: 32127444 Free PMC article.
 
I recommend listening to the compelling interview Dr. Yan gave to FOX at Sharon's link. The print version left out her advice about dealing with the situation now. She did not sound to me to be optimistic currently about breakthrough treatments or vaccines or herd immunity. She encouraged basic social distancing, mask wearing and taking care of ourselves and those around us. At this point it sounds like she thinks the virus is going to relentlessly infect everyone, but at least we can have some control over timing. I think she is right. I've been telling my husband that this virus is a pale horse the past couple of weeks.

I'm disgusted that it seems our government is doing nothing to protect her. She needs protection and emotional support. If her story gains traction, I would not put it past the CCP to begin systematically torturing her loved ones in China to get her to try to recant her story.
 
Last edited:
This is the May 13, 2020 US Congressional Research Service report. WHO timeline was later revised on June 29, 2020.


COVID-19 and China: A Chronology of
Events (December 2019-January 2020)
Updated May 13, 2020

Congressional Research Service
https://crsreports.congress.gov
R46354
...
This report provides a timeline of key developments in the early weeks of the pandemic, based on available public reporting. It also considers issues raised by the timeline, including the timeliness of China’s information sharing with the World Health Organization (WHO), gaps in early information China shared with the world, and episodes in which Chinese authorities sought to discipline those who publicly shared information about aspects of the epidemic...

The Appendix includes a concise version of the timeline. A condensed version is below:

Late December: Hospitals in Wuhan, China, identify cases of pneumonia of unknown origin.

December 30: The Wuhan Municipal Health Commission issues “urgent notices” to city hospitals about cases of atypical pneumonia linked to the city’s Huanan Seafood Wholesale Market. The notices leak online. | Wuhan medical workers, including ophthalmologist Li Wenliang, trade messages about the cases in online chat groups.

December 31: A machine translation of a Chinese media report about the outbreak is posted to ProMED, a U.S.- based open-access platform for early intelligence about infectious disease outbreaks. WHO headquarters in Geneva sees the ProMED post and instructs the WHO China Country Office to request verification of the outbreak from China’s government. | The Wuhan Municipal Health Commission issues its first public statement on the outbreak, saying it has identified 27 cases.


January 1: Wuhan authorities shut down the city’s Huanan Seafood Wholesale Market.

January 3: Dr. Li Wenliang is reprimanded by local Wuhan police for spreading allegedly false statements about the outbreak online. | Chinese Center for Disease Control and Prevention (China CDC) Director-General Gao Fu tells U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (U.S. CDC) Director Robert Redfield about a pneumonia outbreak in Wuhan.

January 4: In its first public statement on the outbreak, WHO tweets, “China has reported to WHO a cluster of pneumonia cases—with no deaths—in Wuhan, Hubei Province.”

...

Full report:

https://assets.documentcloud.org/doc...8/R46354-1.pdf
 
Back
Top