SonicHappyHourAddict
Well-known member
This might be nothing, just looked odd.
http://www.thnews.com/article.php?id=8535
Visiting at prison suspended due to viral infection
Low-security complex affected
Published: June 22, 2009
Tamara Johnson, Managing Editor
A viral outbreak at the federal prison has forced officials to suspend visits with inmates.
According to a press release from the Federal Correctional Complex-Forrest City, visiting has been temporarily suspended at the low-security complex due to a number of inmates who are sick with a “suspected gastrointestinal virus.” Is it normal procedure to shut down visiting for stomach flu? I truly have no idea.
“As a precautionary approach to limit possible exposure, the FCI (Low) has temporarily suspended inmate visiting due to a number of inmates” who have the virus, said prison officials in the press release.
“The institution’s medical staff is evaluating and appropriately treating the inmates for the symptoms that appear to dissipate after 48 to 72 hours,” said R. D. Weeks, executive assistant at the FCC-FC. “Symptomatic inmates are being tested to determine the exact virus; however, the H1N1 virus is not suspected in these cases.”
Weeks continued, “In an effort to ward against any spread of the virus, we are temporarily suspending social visits and are reminding the inmates and staff to adhere to universal precautions to include frequent hand washing, repeated cleaning of common areas, and using disposable gloves when appropriate.”
Weeks said, “Visiting will resume once we are confident that the virus has been contained and is no longer being spread from person to person.”
The FCC-FC was unable to provide additional information this morning on the outbreak before press time.
It was unknown if visitors were still being allowed at the medium-security and camp facilities. It was also unknown how many, if any, correctional workers had been affected by the outbreak.
http://www.thnews.com/article.php?id=8548
Federal prison officials hope visiting will resume by July 4 holiday
Published: June 23, 2009
Tamara Johnson, Managing Editor
Officials at the federal prison in Forrest City hope a virus affecting inmates at the low-security complex will be contained in time for visits to resume by July 4.
Several inmates and some correctional staff have fallen ill since Friday from a “suspected gastro intestinal virus.”
Although the virus appears to be impacting only the low-security facility, visiting at the minimum-security camp has been suspended as a precaution. Visiting is still being allowed at the medium-security facility.
R.D. Weeks, executive assistant at the FCC-FC, said the inmates who have the virus have been treated by the prison’s medical staff, but are not quarantined. “Several inmates reported similar symptoms over the weekend and on Monday,” Weeks said. “Institutional medical staff are evaluating and appropriately treating the inmates for the symptoms that appear to dissipate after 48 to 72 hours.” No one has been hospitalized as a direct result of the outbreak, he said. About 7 percent, or 138 of the 2,075 inmates at the low-security complex, have been affected.
The illness is not only affecting the inmates. “Some staff reported similar symptoms and sought medical care with their personal physicians,” Weeks said, adding that those staff members have since returned to work.
Weeks said the situation poses no threat to the general public.
The H1N1 virus is not suspected in this outbreak, according to Weeks, but he said, “the test results are pending.”
Weeks said, “Inmates are being reminded to adhere to universal precautions to include frequent hand washing, repeated cleaning of common areas and using disposable gloves when appropriate.”
Visiting days at the prison complex are Saturday, Sunday and Monday for the low and medium facilities, and Saturday and Sunday for inmates at the camp.
“We will resume visiting once we are confident that the virus has been contained and is no longer being spread from person to person,” Weeks said. “At this time, it is our hope to resume visiting on July 4.”
As to whether or not the illness could be food-related, Weeks said, “There are no indications or test results verifying any of the symptoms are from food. Given that it appears to have spread from inmate to inmate, it is highly unlikely that it is food-related, but much more likely that it is a gastro intestinal virus.”
http://www.thnews.com/article.php?id=8535
Visiting at prison suspended due to viral infection
Low-security complex affected
Published: June 22, 2009
Tamara Johnson, Managing Editor
A viral outbreak at the federal prison has forced officials to suspend visits with inmates.
According to a press release from the Federal Correctional Complex-Forrest City, visiting has been temporarily suspended at the low-security complex due to a number of inmates who are sick with a “suspected gastrointestinal virus.” Is it normal procedure to shut down visiting for stomach flu? I truly have no idea.
“As a precautionary approach to limit possible exposure, the FCI (Low) has temporarily suspended inmate visiting due to a number of inmates” who have the virus, said prison officials in the press release.
“The institution’s medical staff is evaluating and appropriately treating the inmates for the symptoms that appear to dissipate after 48 to 72 hours,” said R. D. Weeks, executive assistant at the FCC-FC. “Symptomatic inmates are being tested to determine the exact virus; however, the H1N1 virus is not suspected in these cases.”
Weeks continued, “In an effort to ward against any spread of the virus, we are temporarily suspending social visits and are reminding the inmates and staff to adhere to universal precautions to include frequent hand washing, repeated cleaning of common areas, and using disposable gloves when appropriate.”
Weeks said, “Visiting will resume once we are confident that the virus has been contained and is no longer being spread from person to person.”
The FCC-FC was unable to provide additional information this morning on the outbreak before press time.
It was unknown if visitors were still being allowed at the medium-security and camp facilities. It was also unknown how many, if any, correctional workers had been affected by the outbreak.
http://www.thnews.com/article.php?id=8548
Federal prison officials hope visiting will resume by July 4 holiday
Published: June 23, 2009
Tamara Johnson, Managing Editor
Officials at the federal prison in Forrest City hope a virus affecting inmates at the low-security complex will be contained in time for visits to resume by July 4.
Several inmates and some correctional staff have fallen ill since Friday from a “suspected gastro intestinal virus.”
Although the virus appears to be impacting only the low-security facility, visiting at the minimum-security camp has been suspended as a precaution. Visiting is still being allowed at the medium-security facility.
R.D. Weeks, executive assistant at the FCC-FC, said the inmates who have the virus have been treated by the prison’s medical staff, but are not quarantined. “Several inmates reported similar symptoms over the weekend and on Monday,” Weeks said. “Institutional medical staff are evaluating and appropriately treating the inmates for the symptoms that appear to dissipate after 48 to 72 hours.” No one has been hospitalized as a direct result of the outbreak, he said. About 7 percent, or 138 of the 2,075 inmates at the low-security complex, have been affected.
The illness is not only affecting the inmates. “Some staff reported similar symptoms and sought medical care with their personal physicians,” Weeks said, adding that those staff members have since returned to work.
Weeks said the situation poses no threat to the general public.
The H1N1 virus is not suspected in this outbreak, according to Weeks, but he said, “the test results are pending.”
Weeks said, “Inmates are being reminded to adhere to universal precautions to include frequent hand washing, repeated cleaning of common areas and using disposable gloves when appropriate.”
Visiting days at the prison complex are Saturday, Sunday and Monday for the low and medium facilities, and Saturday and Sunday for inmates at the camp.
“We will resume visiting once we are confident that the virus has been contained and is no longer being spread from person to person,” Weeks said. “At this time, it is our hope to resume visiting on July 4.”
As to whether or not the illness could be food-related, Weeks said, “There are no indications or test results verifying any of the symptoms are from food. Given that it appears to have spread from inmate to inmate, it is highly unlikely that it is food-related, but much more likely that it is a gastro intestinal virus.”
Last edited: