• FluTrackers.com Inc. does not provide medical advice. Information on this web site is collected from various internet resources, and the FluTrackers board of directors makes no warranty to the safety, efficacy, correctness or completeness of the information posted on this site by any author or poster. The information collated here is for instructional and/or discussion purposes only and is NOT intended to diagnose or treat any disease, illness, or other medical condition. Every individual reader or poster should seek advice from their personal physician/healthcare practitioner before considering or using any interventions that are discussed on this website. By continuing to access this website you agree to consult your personal physican before using any interventions posted on this website, and you agree to hold harmless FluTrackers.com Inc., the board of directors, the members, and all authors and posters for any effects from use of any medication, supplement, vitamin or other substance, device, intervention, etc. mentioned in posts on this website, or other internet venues referenced in posts on this website.
  • We are not asking for any donations. Do not donate to any entity who says they are raising funds for us.

Victorian outbreak may be easing - although previously healthy among severely ill

kiwibird

Editor, Senior Moderator
Swine flu affecting healthy Victorians
Julia Medew
July 14, 2009

OTHERWISE healthy Victorians are being admitted to intensive care units with swine flu, but doctors believe the state may be at the tail end of its outbreak.

An analysis of the first six Victorians to be admitted to intensive care units with the virus has revealed that two previously healthy men, one aged 24 and another 41, became seriously ill with the H1N1 swine flu virus last month.

The 24-year-old man was admitted to intensive care after he presented to hospital with a one-week history of dry cough, fever, headache, abdominal pain and vomiting, the analysis published yesterday in the online edition of The Medical Journal of Australia said.

The 41-year-old man had been suffering a cough, malaise, back pains and rigours ? shaking that occurs with high fever ? before he was admitted to intensive care. Both men have since recovered.

One of the authors and director of intensive care at Western Hospital, Craig French, said although people with pre-existing medical conditions such as severe asthma, diabetes and obesity, were at most risk of becoming seriously ill with the virus, youth and good health did not preclude the possibility of severe respiratory failure.

"This illness can affect previously well people," he said yesterday.

Victorian health authorities have consistently refused to say in recent months if previously healthy people with no risk factors have been admitted to intensive care with the virus or are among the 11 Victorians who have died with it.


Dr French said although the virus had contributed to a spike in flu-related intensive care admissions in recent months, he believed the virus was slowing down.

"In Victoria at least, it looks like we're at the tail end of the epidemic ? anecdotally there are less patients in ICU than there were a week ago. I'm hopeful that in Victoria we have passed the worst of this influenza outbreak," he said.

With KATE BENSON and ANDREW CLENNELL
http://www.theage.com.au/national/swine-flu-affecting-healthy-victorians-20090713-ditb.html
 
Back
Top