<TABLE width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD colSpan=2>http://www.nbc.com.na/news/today.php?newsid=255
The Ministry Of Health Reacts To A Possible Outbreak Of Viral Infection
The Ministry of Health and Social Services has reported 22 cases of a possible outbreak of a viral infection with acute paralysis in the Hardap, Khomas and Otjozondjupa regions.
</TD></TR><TR><TD colSpan=2>
The disease has claimed five lives since the first case was reported on the 7th of last month.
The first case was reported at Aranos in the Hardap region, while Katutura in the Khomas region has reported 19 cases and the Otjozondjupa region two.
Five of the deceased were female of whom one was pregnant, while the rest were male. The infection is reported to affect those in the age groups between 14 and 55.
The Deputy Minister of Health and Social Services, Petrina Haingura says her Ministry has already taken steps to stop further infections.
"all patients are isolated and movement of visitors is limited to avoid further potential spread of the illness to others. All cases reported so far were thoroughly investigated e.g stool specimen of all patients were collected for laboratory investigation, blood specimens taken for various tests, urine specimens, as well as culture investigation on the spinal fluid taken from patients. Autopsy will be procedurally conducted on the cases that we lost"
The signs and symptoms of the infection range from lower limb weaknesses, paralysis, breathing with difficulties, unable to walk, chest pain, cold and flu, neck stiffness, headache and dizziness.
Haingura has assured the nation that her ministry is trying its utmost to mobilize the necessary human, financial, technical and material resources to address the situation.
"the Ministry of Health and Social Services would like to inform the public that the situation is getting the highest attention from the Ministry because of the uniqueness of the problem. Information to the public will be continuously provided through the media, as well as update of the situation at hand. The public is requested to stay calm and to please report any suspected cases with sudden weakness of the extremities to any health facility nearby without delay"
Meanwhile, the chairperson of the National Health Emergency and Management Committee, Dr Jack Vries says the Ministry has dispatched medical teams to the affected areas to carry out indepth investigations.
"at this moment we have teams that have gone out to go and find out where these people have been, who they came into contact with, find out the water they drink, food, we are looking for anything we can lay our hands on, to come to the definite diagnosis. We have an idea but it`s still useful that we get that information now"
She says the last case was reported on Thursday while describing the condition of the infected pregnant women as critical.
"Thursday night that has been the last reported case and the pregnant mother is still quiet sick, she is in a critical condition. The parts of the body that has been involved initially the legs are involved and moves upwards to involve the arms, most of the patients are not able to walk, that is the most outstanding parts of the body"
She assured the nation that the Ministry was doing its best to keep the patients alive while diagnoses are being made to determine the appropriate course of treatment.
"there is a clinical team meeting on a daily basis because the diagnosis is uncertain and so a team of specialists from different disciplines are organized at a treatment Protocol, the most urgent thing is to keep people alive"
The specimens taken from the patients have been sent to South Africa and results are expected by next Wednesday.</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
The Ministry Of Health Reacts To A Possible Outbreak Of Viral Infection
The Ministry of Health and Social Services has reported 22 cases of a possible outbreak of a viral infection with acute paralysis in the Hardap, Khomas and Otjozondjupa regions.
</TD></TR><TR><TD colSpan=2>
The disease has claimed five lives since the first case was reported on the 7th of last month.
The first case was reported at Aranos in the Hardap region, while Katutura in the Khomas region has reported 19 cases and the Otjozondjupa region two.
Five of the deceased were female of whom one was pregnant, while the rest were male. The infection is reported to affect those in the age groups between 14 and 55.
The Deputy Minister of Health and Social Services, Petrina Haingura says her Ministry has already taken steps to stop further infections.
"all patients are isolated and movement of visitors is limited to avoid further potential spread of the illness to others. All cases reported so far were thoroughly investigated e.g stool specimen of all patients were collected for laboratory investigation, blood specimens taken for various tests, urine specimens, as well as culture investigation on the spinal fluid taken from patients. Autopsy will be procedurally conducted on the cases that we lost"
The signs and symptoms of the infection range from lower limb weaknesses, paralysis, breathing with difficulties, unable to walk, chest pain, cold and flu, neck stiffness, headache and dizziness.
Haingura has assured the nation that her ministry is trying its utmost to mobilize the necessary human, financial, technical and material resources to address the situation.
"the Ministry of Health and Social Services would like to inform the public that the situation is getting the highest attention from the Ministry because of the uniqueness of the problem. Information to the public will be continuously provided through the media, as well as update of the situation at hand. The public is requested to stay calm and to please report any suspected cases with sudden weakness of the extremities to any health facility nearby without delay"
Meanwhile, the chairperson of the National Health Emergency and Management Committee, Dr Jack Vries says the Ministry has dispatched medical teams to the affected areas to carry out indepth investigations.
"at this moment we have teams that have gone out to go and find out where these people have been, who they came into contact with, find out the water they drink, food, we are looking for anything we can lay our hands on, to come to the definite diagnosis. We have an idea but it`s still useful that we get that information now"
She says the last case was reported on Thursday while describing the condition of the infected pregnant women as critical.
"Thursday night that has been the last reported case and the pregnant mother is still quiet sick, she is in a critical condition. The parts of the body that has been involved initially the legs are involved and moves upwards to involve the arms, most of the patients are not able to walk, that is the most outstanding parts of the body"
She assured the nation that the Ministry was doing its best to keep the patients alive while diagnoses are being made to determine the appropriate course of treatment.
"there is a clinical team meeting on a daily basis because the diagnosis is uncertain and so a team of specialists from different disciplines are organized at a treatment Protocol, the most urgent thing is to keep people alive"
The specimens taken from the patients have been sent to South Africa and results are expected by next Wednesday.</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>