• FluTrackers.com Inc. does not provide medical advice. Information on this web site is collected from various internet resources, and the FluTrackers board of directors makes no warranty to the safety, efficacy, correctness or completeness of the information posted on this site by any author or poster. The information collated here is for instructional and/or discussion purposes only and is NOT intended to diagnose or treat any disease, illness, or other medical condition. Every individual reader or poster should seek advice from their personal physician/healthcare practitioner before considering or using any interventions that are discussed on this website. By continuing to access this website you agree to consult your personal physican before using any interventions posted on this website, and you agree to hold harmless FluTrackers.com Inc., the board of directors, the members, and all authors and posters for any effects from use of any medication, supplement, vitamin or other substance, device, intervention, etc. mentioned in posts on this website, or other internet venues referenced in posts on this website.
  • We are not asking for any donations. Do not donate to any entity who says they are raising funds for us.

Unborn child dies from swine-flu related illness

wotan

Well-known member
http://www.news.com.au/couriermail/story/0,23739,25812971-952,00.html

<!-- Left Content Column --> <!-- Story Toolbar--> <!-- Story Header Block --> Unborn child dies from swine-flu related illness


Article from: Townsville Bulletin
<!-- END Story Header Block -->
<!-- // .article-tools --> July 21, 2009 07:50am



<!-- Split page --> <!-- Lead Content Panel --> AN UNBORN child has become the first swine flu-related death in North Queensland - and the young mother is fighting for her life in hospital.
Health officials have confirmed the woman, 19, was transferred from Palm Island to Townsville Hospital on Saturday. She remained in a critical condition in intensive care last night.
It is understood the woman had carried her child to 36 weeks, before the baby passed away.

It is only the second swine flu-related death in Queensland, after a 38-year-old woman died at Brisbane's Mater Public Hospital last week, and believed to be the first swine flu-related death of a baby in Australia.
 
Re: Unborn child dies from swine-flu related illness

Source:

Excerpt: http://www.bigmedicine.ca/australianz.htm

Australia #H1N1 | More deaths reported [Jul 15 Canberra ACT]--Queensland has recorded its first death related to Pandemic (H1N1) 2009. A woman aged 38 died today at Mater Public Hospital where she had been admitted a week ago. Queensland Health advise that the woman was in a vulnerable group with regard to this disease.

South Australia reported today that a 32 year old man had become the second person to die in South Australia after being diagnosed with Pandemic (H1N1) 2009. According to SA Health the man was admitted to Modbury Hospital with a number of pre-existing major medical conditions on Thursday 9 July and was transferred to Lyell McEwin Hospital on Friday 10 July in a critical condition. His condition deteriorated and he died early this morning.
 
Re: Unborn child dies from swine-flu related illness

Source: http://news.smh.com.au/breaking-news-national/qld-records-first-swine-flu-death-20090715-dl8z.html

Qld records first swine flu death
Petrina Berry and Steve Gray
July 15, 2009

A 38-year-old woman has become the first Queenslander to die after contracting the swine flu virus.

The woman died around noon on Wednesday at Brisbane's Mater Hospital after being admitted a week ago.

She is the 22nd death related to swine flu in Australia.

Queensland's chief health officer Jeannette Young said the woman was in a vulnerable group but declined to comment further out of respect for the family.

"It appears that the woman was in a vulnerable group with regard to this disease," Dr Young said.

"Anyone who falls into a vulnerable group is at a higher risk of suffering complications from swine flu and our focus is now on protecting these groups of people."

Those who are most vulnerable are indigenous people, pregnant women and people with respiratory disease, heart disease, renal and liver disease, obesity and immunosuppression.

Another 433 swine flu cases were reported in Queensland on Tuesday and Wednesday, lifting the state's total to 2769.

Of these 21 are in hospital - six of them in intensive care.

? 2009 AAP
 
Re: Unborn child dies from swine-flu related illness

Source: http://news.theage.com.au/breaking-...-threatens-mums-aborigines-20090721-dryb.html

Swine flu 'threatens mums, Aborigines'
Paul Osborne, Kim Christian and Petrina Berry
July 21, 2009 - 7:44PM

Health authorities have renewed warnings about the risk swine flu poses in pregnancy and among indigenous people, following the death of a Queensland woman's unborn baby.

The death came as hospital officials in NSW expressed concern over the stress the outbreak was putting the system under and specialist emergency teams have been organised to visit homes of people affected by the virus.

The national swine flu toll stood at 37 at noon (AEST) on Tuesday, with a total of 14,037 cases recorded across Australia.

On a state-by-state basis the death toll, according to the federal health department, is: Victoria 15, NSW 14, Northern Territory 3, South Australia 2, Queensland 1, Tasmania 1 and Western Australia 1.

There were 231 people in hospital including 96 in intensive care.

In Queensland, a 19-year-old woman, who was 36 weeks into her pregnancy and was taken from Palm Island to Townsville Hospital with swine flu complications, lost her baby at the weekend.

The woman on Tuesday remained in intensive care at the hospital in north Queensland.

Palm Island mayor Alf Lacey said there were many others on the island with swine flu and feared there could be more deaths.

He said he was greatly concerned for small remote Aboriginal communities.

"I am calling on the Queensland and federal health ministers to employ a different strategy for our community because of the conditions we live in," Mr Lacey told AAP.

"This (swine flu) could have devastating effects on us."

Queensland's chief health officer Jeannette Young declined to comment on the case, citing patient privacy, but warned indigenous people and pregnant women needed to take extra precautions.

"Anyone who falls into the vulnerable groups should avoid any mass gatherings," Dr Young said.

"So I think pregnant women who are uncertain as to what to do should talk to their obstetrician."

Dr Young said indigenous communities such as Palm Island were vulnerable.

"We will work with every single community as it needs the assistance," she said.

NSW health authorities on Tuesday warned swine flu cases would peak next month as children return to school and stressed hospitals brace for more cases.

Acknowledging the health system is under pressure, the NSW government announced specialist mobile emergency teams equipped with breathing apparatus would be sent by ambulance to the homes of critically ill swine flu patients.

NSW Australian Medical Association (AMA) president Brian Morton says medical authorities are bracing for an increase in intensive care cases and deaths in August.

"The evidence that everyone's working on is that the peak of seasonal flu will usually occur late July/August so we would expect that with H1N1 swine flu," Dr Morton told ABC Radio on Tuesday.

Roger Pye, staff specialist at St Vincent's intensive care unit in Sydney, said absenteeism among health staff due to swine flu was becoming a problem.

"The system is stressed," Dr Pye told reporters.

"The medical, nursing and allied health communities are all being affected by the flu ... and we're finding it hard to get staff to fill each shift," he said.

NSW swine flu victim Brooke Ecclestone gave media a firsthand account of the disease's effects.

The 21-year-old, from Bowral in the Southern Highlands, has just recovered in hospital from a severe bout of the virus, seven years after a double lung transplant.

"I woke up with cold shivers and fevers, all I wanted to do was die because I had never felt so sick," she said.

Meanwhile, Tasmania's director of public health Chrissie Pickin said on Tuesday that "1,000 additional hospital admissions could be expected over the next eight weeks across the state and unfortunately at least 20 deaths may occur".

She said 43 per cent of all testing for influenza-like illness in Tasmania had returned positive results for influenza A, while 60 per cent of that number were positive for H1N1.

"At the peak of the H1N1 influenza outbreak we could see more than 26,000 Tasmanians ill with the virus," Dr Pickin said in a statement.
 
Re: Unborn child dies from swine-flu related illness

unfortunately, despite this second death being reported extensively in the media from very early yesterday morning - and apparently confirmed by our chief health officer during an early morning media interview - there is nothing on official reports.....

the national report - from our national incident room - from noon yesterday still had queensland listed as only having one death (the 38 year old woman in brisbane).

likewise the official report from queensland health also only listed the one death.

there was absolutely NO acknowledgement in either official report - or on government swine flu websites - of the death of the baby.

instead, the policy has now changed to only reporting on "confirmed hospitalisations" and "confirmed deaths" - no more news on case numbers. this is reflected in official documents on websites.....
 
Back
Top