Re: 3 New cases
Re: 3 New cases
Page last updated at 11:15 GMT, Wednesday, 29 April 2009 12:15 UK
E-mail this to a friend Printable version
Three new swine flu cases in UK
A 12-year-old girl is among five people in the UK who have contracted swine flu after visiting Mexico, the Prime Minister, Gordon Brown, has confirmed.
Two adults - one from
Birmingham and one from
London - are also undergoing treatment, as are the two previously confirmed cases in
Scotland.
The girl's school in Torbay, Devon, has been closed and all pupils are to be offered anti-viral drugs.
Mr Brown said all those with the virus were responding well to treatment.
The number of swine flu cases globally is rising and the US has confirmed that the death of a 23-month-old child there is the first fatality outside Mexico.
The BBC understands that
tests have come back as negative on seven people who had come into contact with the couple from Polmont, near Falkirk, who have swine flu.
The results of tests on two more of the original contact group relating to Dawn and Iain Askham are still pending.
Mr Brown revealed the latest cases at Prime Minister's Questions.
"All have mild symptoms, all are receiving and responding well to treatment," he said.