• FluTrackers.com Inc. does not provide medical advice. Information on this web site is collected from various internet resources, and the FluTrackers board of directors makes no warranty to the safety, efficacy, correctness or completeness of the information posted on this site by any author or poster. The information collated here is for instructional and/or discussion purposes only and is NOT intended to diagnose or treat any disease, illness, or other medical condition. Every individual reader or poster should seek advice from their personal physician/healthcare practitioner before considering or using any interventions that are discussed on this website. By continuing to access this website you agree to consult your personal physican before using any interventions posted on this website, and you agree to hold harmless FluTrackers.com Inc., the board of directors, the members, and all authors and posters for any effects from use of any medication, supplement, vitamin or other substance, device, intervention, etc. mentioned in posts on this website, or other internet venues referenced in posts on this website.
  • We are not asking for any donations. Do not donate to any entity who says they are raising funds for us.

UK: Ipswich and Suffolk hospitals closed to visitors as a result of Norovirus outbreaks

alert

Senior Moderator
http://www.eveningstar.co.uk/conten...=xDefault&itemid=IPED11 Jan 2010 14:39:53:317

Hospital still closed to visitors

Last updated: 1/11/2010 3:02:00 PM


VISITORS to Ipswich Hospital are urged to stay away as a safety measure while the snowy weather continues.

One ward, Saxmundham, remains closed to new admissions due to an outbreak of the winter sickness bug (Norovirus).


Visitors to maternity, critical care, children's services, Somersham Ward (cancer centre) and the emergency assessment units will be welcome at the hospital. However visitors to all other wards are being asked not to come to the hospital. Any visitor who feels unwell themselves should not come to the hospital.

Gwen Collins, the hospital's director of nursing and quality said: ?We know how important it is for patients in hospital to have visitors, but during this really cold spell, we are asking all visitors to put their own safety first and not come to the hospital.

?The hospital is very busy with people in need of urgent care. We currently have one ward closed to new admissions because of the winter sickness bug (called Norovirus) and as well as thinking of visitors' own safety, we are also trying to protect patients and staff from any further infections. Reducing the number of people on the hospital site, will help us do this.?

Anyone coming into the hospital will be asked to wash their hands with soap and water before entering any clinical area.

Essential visitors are being asked to park in Car Park F - which is the main outpatients car-park (directly in front of the main roundabout as you come onto the hospital site).

West Suffolk Hospital also remains closed to visitors following an outbreak of Norovirus.

Five wards at the hospital are shut to new admissions after patients showed symptoms of the highly contagious virus.

The hospital, which closed to visitors last Wednesday in an attempt to contain the outbreak, remains shut, with exceptions will be made for people visiting paediatric, intensive care and palliative care patients.


Nichole Day, executive chief nurse and director of infection prevention and control at the hospital, said: ?We would like to thank visitors for their patience and understanding so far, and would urge them to continue to help us control this outbreak by staying away from the hospital site.

?Anyone who does need to come into the building can help by cleaning their hands thoroughly with soap and water in the sinks we have provided.

Outpatients or staff members who have had symptoms of Norovirus should stay away from the hospital until at least 72 hours after their last episode of diarrhoea or vomiting to limit the chances of the illness spreading.
 
Back
Top