Re: UK - 2 confirmed cases
From
Sky News:
Fears Swine Flu Couple Infected 23 Others
Breaking News4:21pm UK, Tuesday April 28, 2009
Scotland's health secretary has said
nine people who came into contact with a couple who caught swine flu in Mexico are showing signs of infection.
Thomas Cook has stopped flights to Cancun
Another 14 people in Scotland with travel links to Mexico and the US are also being investigated, Nicola Sturgeon added.
The nine have developed "mild symptoms" which have not been confirmed as swine flu and are being treated with drugs at home.
The World Health Influenza centre has said "it is inevitable someone in the UK will die from swine fever".
British tour operators have cancelled flights from UK airports to Mexican holiday resorts because of swine flu fears.
Virgin Holidays has cancelled all travel to Mexico up to and including May 5 and tour operator Kuoni has also cancelled all travel until May 4.
Thomas Cook and Airtours have suspended all outbound flights to Cancun until May 5 and are making plans to fly holidaymakers home.
Thomson and First Choice Holidays have also grounded their flights to May 8.
Swine Flu: Travel Q & A
How is travel disrupted? Is travel to Mexico safe? Your travel questions answered.
Meanwhile, the couple confirmed as Britain's first cases of swine flu have been named as newlyweds
[...edited...], of Polmont, near Falkirk.
The pair, who went to Mexico on honeymoon, are being treated at a hospital in Airdrie, east of Glasgow where they are said to be "recovering well".
In a statement, their families said: "They were both quite shocked that the result was positive for swine flu but are relieved that their symptoms have been very mild."
A further
seven people in Wiltshire are being tested after they called their GPs and NHS Direct complaining of flu-like symptoms.
Meanwhile, Health Secretary Alan Johnson has said Britain is prepared for any serious outbreak of the virus following a meeting of the Government's Cobra emergency committee.
Swine Flu: Health Q & A
What is it? Could I catch it?
Your questions answered.
Chief Medical Officer Sir Liam Donaldson told Sky News that in the event of a pandemic "well-rehearsed" plans were in place "to combat the problem".
"The aim will be to try to reduce the impact and we have measures in place to treat people with antiviral drugs that don't cure but reduce the severity of the symptoms," he said.
Dr Maureen Baker, the honorary secretary of the Royal College of General Practitioners, said flu sufferers can expect to recover within a week - even if it is swine flu.
Sir Liam added: "There will be people who will be vulnerable and we can't be complacent, but on the other hand the majority of cases of flu tend to be an illness that people recover from."
Michael O'Leary, the boss of Ryanair which does not operate flights to Mexico, played down the danger to travellers.
"It is a tragedy only for people living... in slums in Asia or Mexico, but will the honeymoon couple from Edinburgh die? No," he said.
He added that "a couple of Strepsils will do the job".
We're in the decisive moment of the crisis. The number of deaths will continue rising.
Mexico's health minister Jose Angel Cordova
The Foreign Office has advised against all but essential travel to Mexico over the swine flu outbreak.
On its website, the FCO also said routine consular and all visa services at its embassy in Mexico City had been suspended until further notice.
The FCO revised its advice after the World Health Organisation warned countries to prepare for a full-blown pandemic.
So far, the only deaths from the outbreak have been reported in Mexico, where the death toll from the flu now stands at 152.