• FluTrackers.com Inc. does not provide medical advice. Information on this web site is collected from various internet resources, and the FluTrackers board of directors makes no warranty to the safety, efficacy, correctness or completeness of the information posted on this site by any author or poster. The information collated here is for instructional and/or discussion purposes only and is NOT intended to diagnose or treat any disease, illness, or other medical condition. Every individual reader or poster should seek advice from their personal physician/healthcare practitioner before considering or using any interventions that are discussed on this website. By continuing to access this website you agree to consult your personal physican before using any interventions posted on this website, and you agree to hold harmless FluTrackers.com Inc., the board of directors, the members, and all authors and posters for any effects from use of any medication, supplement, vitamin or other substance, device, intervention, etc. mentioned in posts on this website, or other internet venues referenced in posts on this website.
  • We are not asking for any donations. Do not donate to any entity who says they are raising funds for us.

Three children with A/H1N1 flu die in South Korea

Treyfish

Moderator
SEOUL, Oct. 26 (Yonhap) -- Two children infected with Influenza A (H1N1) have died in South Korea, health authorities said Monday, amid growing concerns that the contagious disease could turn into a pandemic. :rolleyes:

A nine-year-old boy and an 11-year-old girl died after being treated for H1N1, according to the Ministry for Health, Welfare and Family Affairs. Both suffered from cerebral palsy. The exact cause of death is still under investigation, it added.

The report comes as fears are growing over the faster-than-expected spread of the new flu, prompting some schools to temporarily shut their doors after reporting flu outbreaks.

According to the latest government report, the flu has forced a total of 59 schools to remain closed across the nation on fears infected students could transfer the disease to their classmates. The number is sharply up from the 18 schools that remained shut as of last Tuesday.

Adding to the anxiety, the U.S. recently declared the flu a national emergency, giving his health chief more authority to speed up treatment and protect non-infected patients as the death toll is growing fast.

Until recently, South Korea had been deemed relatively insulated from the disease, which has claimed the lives of around 5,000 people across the world.

But it has reported 22 deaths -- including the two children -- caused by the flu in just a couple of months, though most cases were categorized as "highly vulnerable" as they were either elderly or suffered from chronic diseases. The first death was confirmed on Aug. 15.

The government is now scurrying to stockpile antiviral drugs and vaccines in preparation for a further spike in infections.

It plans to vaccinate 35 percent of the country's 49 million population, with those deemed highly-vulnerable including quarantine staff given priority. The first round of vaccinations will start on Tuesday.

Health authorities say that the situation here in South Korea is different from in the United States as most of the deaths stemmed from those risky groups but the government is mulling launching a comprehensive disaster control center that combines the roles of related ministries and agencies to better cope with the worst situation where the disease could turn into a pandemic.:tiphat:
http://english.yonhapnews.co.kr/national/2009/10/26/76/0301000000AEN20091026005200320F.HTML
 
Re: Three children with A/H1N1 flu die in S. Korea

Re: Three children with A/H1N1 flu die in S. Korea

S Korea reports three additional A/H1N1 related deaths


www.chinaview.cn 2009-10-26

SEOUL, Oct. 26 (Xinhua) -- South Korean health authorities on Monday reported three children died of A/H1N1 flu, raising the country's death toll from the new virus to 23.

According to the Ministry for Health, Welfare and Family Affairs, two kids, a nine-year-old boy and an 11-year-old girl infected with A/H1N1 virus, have died earlier in the day at a hospital in the central city of Daejeon.

The two, having suffered from cerebral palsy, were admitted to hospital on Oct. 24 and 25 respectively due to high fever, and later were confirmed infected with the new virus.

Later in the day, the authorities reported an additional death of a 14-year-old middle school student who is also known to have died after being infected with the flu.

Further investigations were conducted by the health authorities to find the exact cause of the three deaths and the route of infection.

Fears are growing in South Korea recently over the fast spread of the new flu. Some schools have to suspend classes after reporting flu outbreaks, according to local media.

The government is considering setting up a government-wide national emergency management agency to cope with the A/H1N1 flu.

Local media reported that related ministries will discuss whether to pursue such a move this week.

The government is also considering taking stronger measures against the spread of the flu at schools.

South Korea reported its first new flu outbreak in early May, and its first death case from A/H1N1 on Aug. 15.

http://ow.ly/15XkKQ
 
Re: Three children with A/H1N1 flu die in South Korea

Source: http://english.yonhapnews.co.kr/national/2009/10/26/53/0302000000AEN20091026008100315F.HTML

4thLD) Five type-A flu patients die in S. Korea


SEOUL, Oct. 26 (Yonhap) -- Five South Koreans infected with Influenza A (H1N1) have died in South Korea, health authorities said Monday, amid growing concerns that the contagious disease could turn into a pandemic.

A nine-year-old boy and an 11-year-old girl died after being treated for H1N1, according to the Ministry for Health, Welfare and Family Affairs. Both had cerebral palsy. The exact cause of death is still under investigation, it added.


2009/10/26 19:04 KST
(4thLD) Five type-A flu patients die in S. Korea


SEOUL, Oct. 26 (Yonhap) -- Five South Koreans infected with Influenza A (H1N1) have died in South Korea, health authorities said Monday, amid growing concerns that the contagious disease could turn into a pandemic.

A nine-year-old boy and an 11-year-old girl died after being treated for H1N1, according to the Ministry for Health, Welfare and Family Affairs. Both had cerebral palsy. The exact cause of death is still under investigation, it added.

It later confirmed that a 14-year-old middle school student and two women in their 70s also died after being infected with the flu. All five victims were categorized as "highly vulnerable," as they had either chronic illnesses or physical disablities.

The additional death report comes as fears are growing over the faster-than-expected spread of the new flu, prompting some schools to temporarily shut their doors after reporting flu outbreaks.

According to the latest government report, the flu has forced a total of 59 schools to remain closed across the nation on fears infected students could transfer the disease to their classmates. The number is sharply up from the 18 schools that remained shut as of last Tuesday.


Adding to the anxiety, the U.S. recently declared the flu a national emergency, giving his health chief more authority to speed up treatment and protect non-infected patients as the death toll is growing fast.

Until recently, South Korea had been deemed relatively insulated from the disease, which has claimed the lives of around 5,000 people across the world.

But it has reported 25 deaths -- including the latest cases -- caused by the flu in just a couple of months, though most cases were categorized as "highly vulnerable" as they were either elderly or suffered from chronic diseases.
The first death was confirmed on Aug. 15.

The government is now scurrying to stockpile antiviral drugs and vaccines in preparation for a further spike in infections.

It plans to vaccinate 35 percent of the country's 49 million population, with those deemed highly-vulnerable including quarantine staff given priority. The first round of vaccinations will start on Tuesday.

Health authorities say that the situation here in South Korea is different from in the United States as most of the deaths stemmed from those risky groups but the government is mulling launching a comprehensive disaster control center that combines the roles of related ministries and agencies to better cope with the worst situation where the disease could turn into a pandemic.

kokobj@yna.co.kr
(END)
 
Re: Three children with A/H1N1 flu die in South Korea

Scary outbreak spreads
[World News] Mon, October 26th, 2009 9:54 p.m.
chojungsaeng confirmed ... 4000 people per day, killed five people, the elderly
Antiviral treatment in all patients with suspected byeongwonseo
Disaster Safety Headquarters reserved pan-key operation

Swine influenza A (H1N1) hwakjinhwanja a day on average over 4000 and is showing signs of rage. 26 days after the day students and the elderly, outbreak infected five people has died. The only government hospital treatment center were prescribed without checking all the bottles and lawmakers hangbayireoseujereul confirmed to be prescribed in the guidelines were changed.

Health, Welfare and Family Affairs the Central Headquarters of Influenza, "October Fourth (19 to 24), one week alone, 878 new cases of flu cases in the aggregate was a group, these middle school where the 870" said, "In kindergarten, high school class of disease ranging from a pronounced increase, "he said yesterday.

Byeolroneun kindergarten school in October second week (5 to 11), 13 Fourth place with 60 places was increased four fold, from 121 elementary schools three times with 384 places, 121 of which places high school, where each of 108 218 places, 201 places have increased by two fold. The average patient outbreak occurred myeongeseo 1573 Fourth 4220 the third one weeks significantly increased the number of new patients around 30,000 people were added to the cumulative aggregate.

1000 outpatients per fraction similar to influenza (ILI) to Week 41 (October 4 to 10) 5.69 myeongeseo 42 rooms (11 to 17) jumped 62.9% compared to 9.27 the number of Jeonju. Tamiflu prescriptions in October second week of 3492's 950 incidents third, Fourth, and 15,378 cases are rising steeply.

The name game 2 of the North Chungcheong Province, elementary school junior high school one people, living youngnamgwon samanghae So far, 70 women 2 men killed outbreak increased to 25.

2 men 1 geupgwa Nay chodeungsaeng're Syndrome Cerebral Palsy (facial deformities 2) disability, and middle school students with asthma, diabetes, women 78 years old, 73 years old and suffered from angina and high-risk women has been classified as a headquarters said.

Outbreak patients and deaths, all disease grows headquarters in clinics for patients with suspected hangbayireoseujereul changed the guidelines to be prescribed.

The government has deepened, but national epidemic is spreading rapidly upgrade or step response of students still are not considering an early vacation.

Government regarding the spread of the outbreak of pan-dimensional operation of the Central Disaster Safety Headquarters has decided to reserve the plan.

Meanwhile, President Lee Myung-bak, senior presidential secretary for the meeting regarding the recent outbreak spreading trend, "the United States to declare a state of emergency, while we're okay to question people seem to have" said "the authorities cooperating and prevention system Check to make sure this is part of the supplement, we will compensate a hurry, "he said.:tiphat:http://kr.news.yahoo.com/service/ne...d=2009102621541063747&linkid=4&newssetid=1352
 
South Korea - New flu is suspected in five deaths - Total 25

South Korea - New flu is suspected in five deaths - Total 25

New flu is suspected in five deaths

October 27, 2009

Korea’s health authorities said five people may have died yesterday of the A(H1N1) flu, including three children. The victims include two elementary school children in Daejeon and one middle school student in Gyeonggi, plus two women in their 70s.

Health authorities only confirmed that the middle school boy died of influenza. They are still examining exact cause of death and transmission route for the other four.

If all five people are confirmed to have died of the new flu, the death tally will be 25.


According to the Ministry for Health, Welfare and Family Affairs’ Korea Centers for Disease Control, a 9-year-old boy surnamed Yun and an 11-year-old girl surnamed Jeong died yesterday morning at a local hospital in Daejeon.

The two children went to different elementary schools but both had suffered from cerebral palsy and received treatment at the same community center. They were both hospitalized with high fevers.

A third victim - a middle school boy surnamed Yun, 14 - died yesterday afternoon at a local hospital in northern Gyeonggi. Yun was hospitalized on Oct. 23. The boy had suffered from asthma, according to the health authorities.

Both women in their 70s lived in Gyeongsang area, and were categorized as being in high-risk groups. One suffered from diabetes and the other suffered from angina pectoris.

Last week, the number of schools with at least two students infected with the new flu surpassed 870, the Ministry of Education, Science and Technology said. The Education Ministry said 59 schools nationwide have now been forced to close down temporarily after some of their students became infected, a threefold increase since Oct. 20.

The ministry ordered city and provincial education offices across the country to continue daily body temperature checks of schoolteachers and students. It also asked schools to make sure students wash their hands frequently. But ministry officials rejected media speculation that they are considering closing all schools.

“With the new flu infections by contact in the local community on the rapid increase, preventing the spread of the flu virus by shutting down schools for short periods would no longer work,” said Jang Gi-won, head of the Education Ministry’s planning department.

State-provided A(H1N1) influenza vaccination is set to begin today. As recommended by the World Health Organization, the government will first vaccinate 800,000 health care and epidemic control workers nationwide.


From Nov. 18, 7.5 million elementary, middle and high school students will get vaccinations. Vaccinations for infants and expecting women will start in December. Seniors, patients with chronic disease and soldiers will begin receiving doses in January.
Some 7.16 million Koreans, or 35 percent of the total population, will be vaccinated by February.

Meanwhile, President Lee Myung-bak talked about U.S. President Barack Obama’s national flu emergency declaration. “Many question whether we’re safe,” Lee was quoted as saying. “We need to explain to the media and public that the we are taking even more thorough preventive measures to arrest the new flu than any other country.”

http://joongangdaily.joins.com/article/view.asp?aid=2911776&cat_code=03
 
Back
Top