Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.
Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.
Opposition politicians in Tanzania have accused president John Magufuli of covering up a major outbreak of Covid-19 in the east African country.
Magufuli has repeatedly played down the threat from the pandemic and refused to impose a strict lockdown as many other leaders on the continent have.
Instead the 60-year-old has encouraged the country’s 56 million inhabitants to keep working and socialising, while a key ally announced a three-day “corona party” in Dar es Salaam, the commercial capital, this weekend to give thanks to God for what he claimed was a reduction in levels of infection.
Tanzanian authorities have not released official date on infections for nearly a month, despite requests from the World Health Organization (WHO). There were 480 confirmed cases with 16 deaths on 29 April.
However, the opposition politicians say they believe there have been more than 400 deaths in Dar es Salaam and between 16,000 and 20,000 cases nationwide, according to their own ongoing research.
“The government say there are no patients in the hospitals but we know of three hospitals in Dar es Salaam where the ICU beds are all completely full,” said Zitto Kabwe, leader of the Alliance for Change and Transparency.
DODOMA:Tanzania’s leading opposition party has called for a suspension of Parliament after three legislators died of unknown causes in the past 11 days.
Freeman Mbowe, chairman of the opposition Chadema party, has repeatedly accused the government of covering up the true extent of the coronavirus pandemic and implied the MPs had died from COVID-19, the disease caused by the pathogen.
...snipANKARA
All schools in Tanzania will reopen as of June 29 after three months of closure due to the novel coronavirus, local media reported quoting the country’s president.
The Monday’s announcement by President John Magufuli makes Tanzania the first country in East Africa to reopen schools, according to The Citizen local website.
Addressing the parliament on Monday, Magufuli said the decision was taken as the number of coronavirus infections “drastically dropped.”
On June 1, universities in the country resumed educational activities with hygiene rules put in place by the country’s Health Ministry.
....Magufuli, whose government has already drawn criticism for being secretive about the coronavirus outbreak and has previously asked Tanzanians to pray the coronavirus away, said the kits had “technical errors”.
The COVID-19 testing kits had been imported from abroad, Magufuli said during an event in Chato in the north west of Tanzania, although he did not give further details.
The president said he had instructed Tanzanian security forces to check the quality of the kits. They had randomly obtained several non-human samples, including from a pawpaw, a goat and a sheep, but had assigned them human names and ages.
...
With no new patients, 74 COVID-19 facilities in Tanzania shut down: minister
Tanzania’s health minister on Friday announced the government was shutting down 74 out of 85 designated COVID-19 facilities across the country for lack of patients.
The ministry said in a statement that Ummy Mwalimu announced the move after closing down a designated facility at Lulanzi in Kibaha district in Coast region.
“The last COVID-19 patient at this Lulanzi designated facility was discharged on May 26 and there is no patient that has been admitted to the facility until today,” she said.