• FluTrackers.com Inc. does not provide medical advice. Information on this web site is collected from various internet resources, and the FluTrackers board of directors makes no warranty to the safety, efficacy, correctness or completeness of the information posted on this site by any author or poster. The information collated here is for instructional and/or discussion purposes only and is NOT intended to diagnose or treat any disease, illness, or other medical condition. Every individual reader or poster should seek advice from their personal physician/healthcare practitioner before considering or using any interventions that are discussed on this website. By continuing to access this website you agree to consult your personal physican before using any interventions posted on this website, and you agree to hold harmless FluTrackers.com Inc., the board of directors, the members, and all authors and posters for any effects from use of any medication, supplement, vitamin or other substance, device, intervention, etc. mentioned in posts on this website, or other internet venues referenced in posts on this website.
  • We are not asking for any donations. Do not donate to any entity who says they are raising funds for us.

Swine flu strikes New Jersey Nets forward Chris Douglas-Roberts

Pathfinder

Editor, Senior Moderator
Swine flu strikes New Jersey Nets forward Chris Douglas-Roberts

BY Julian Garcia
DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER
Sunday, November 8th 2009, 4:00 AM

amd_nets_fouled.jpg
Wass/AP
Chris Douglas-Roberts

Add the swine flu to the list of ailments the bruised, battered and frequently beaten Nets are suffering from already this season.

Second-year forward Chris Douglas-Roberts has been diagnosed with the H1N1 virus, the team announced before Saturday night's game against the Celtics at the Meadowlands.

Under a league mandate, Douglas-Roberts had been quarantined from his teammates since he started experiencing flu-like symptoms following Wednesday's home game against Denver. In a statement announcing the diagnosis, the team said that Douglas-Roberts had been "treated accordingly" and that the Nets have "followed all precautionary measures as mandated by NBA guidelines."

Before the game, Lawrence Frank said the quarantine period had ended and that Douglas-Roberts is free to rejoin the team whenever he feels better.

"But I talked to him today (and) he doesn't sound very good," the coach said.

Douglas-Roberts, a 22-year-old who is averaging 15.6 points in his first season as a starter, has been using his Twitter account to provide updates on his condition.

"Haven't been this sick in a long time," Douglas-Roberts tweeted on Thursday night before adding Saturday that he "just got the call from Doc, bad bad news."

The Nets issued regular flu shots to players who wanted them - Douglas-Roberts turned it down, according to one teammate - but the H1N1 vaccine has not yet been given to them.

According to Frank, all team personnel who have been in contact with Douglas-Roberts recently will be taking the medication Tamiflu for the next 10 days. Nothing else can be done to ensure that none of Douglas-Roberts' teammates come down with the virus.

"They gave us one pill that is supposed to help (prevent) the spread of it," said Jarvis Hayes, one of seven Nets unable to play Saturday night. "But right now they've got him quarantined and hopefully that will prevent the spread to the rest of us."

Bobby Simmons, whose locker is directly to the left of Douglas-Roberts', said he was not overly concerned about sharing such close quarters with someone who has been diagnosed with swine flu.

"I went to the grocery store this morning and there were a lot of people coughing there, too," Simmons said.


Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/basketball/2009/11/08/2009-11-08_swine_flu_strikes_net_forward_.html#ixzz0WHZelpH4
 
Back
Top