• FluTrackers.com Inc. does not provide medical advice. Information on this web site is collected from various internet resources, and the FluTrackers board of directors makes no warranty to the safety, efficacy, correctness or completeness of the information posted on this site by any author or poster. The information collated here is for instructional and/or discussion purposes only and is NOT intended to diagnose or treat any disease, illness, or other medical condition. Every individual reader or poster should seek advice from their personal physician/healthcare practitioner before considering or using any interventions that are discussed on this website. By continuing to access this website you agree to consult your personal physican before using any interventions posted on this website, and you agree to hold harmless FluTrackers.com Inc., the board of directors, the members, and all authors and posters for any effects from use of any medication, supplement, vitamin or other substance, device, intervention, etc. mentioned in posts on this website, or other internet venues referenced in posts on this website.
  • We are not asking for any donations. Do not donate to any entity who says they are raising funds for us.

Swine flu spreads across N.B.

Pathfinder

Editor, Senior Moderator
Wed Nov 4, 8:52 PM

<!-- phugc -->
NEW.BRUNSWICK (CBC) - Swine flu activity continues to grow in New Brunswick, with several thousand estimated cases and 23 people sent to hospital, says the province's chief medical officer.

No deaths from the pandemic have been reported in the province, said Dr. Eilish Cleary.

About 100 cases have been confirmed and hospital visits jumped to 23 from five in the past week.

Most of the 18 new people sent to hospital were younger, she said.

"We have six cases less than 10 [years of age], seven cases between 10 and 20, three cases between the 20 to 29 age group, and two cases over that in the 18 cases this week," Cleary said.

The good news is that the outbreak has been mild so far, she said.

"My early information is that all of these people were admitted to hospital, but did not require intensive care, and most have been discharged and are recovering well."

The province has received 11,000 new doses of the swine flu vaccine, which has been in short supply and forced the cancellation of several clinics.

There are also 4,500 doses of non-adjuvanted vaccine, which is considered the safest for pregnant women. Cleary urges all expectant mothers to get their shot immediately.

Restrictions that had been in place for expectant mothers have now been lifted, she said. "So we are asking all pregnant women, irrespective of the duration of their pregnancy, to come forward and get their vaccination now."

Special clinics for pregnant women only are being set up around the province, Cleary said. Pregnant women can also receive vaccinations at priority group clinics.

About 120,000 New Brunswickers have been vaccinated to date, she said.

The province is expecting more vaccine next week, but with this week's shipment being only about a quarter of what they expected, health authorities may still have to postpone or cancel more clinics, Cleary said.

It's unclear when the vaccine will be available to the general public.


http://ca.entertainment.yahoo.com/s/cbc/091104/canada/canada_newbrunswick_nb_swine_flu_activity_5
 
Back
Top