• FluTrackers.com Inc. does not provide medical advice. Information on this web site is collected from various internet resources, and the FluTrackers board of directors makes no warranty to the safety, efficacy, correctness or completeness of the information posted on this site by any author or poster. The information collated here is for instructional and/or discussion purposes only and is NOT intended to diagnose or treat any disease, illness, or other medical condition. Every individual reader or poster should seek advice from their personal physician/healthcare practitioner before considering or using any interventions that are discussed on this website. By continuing to access this website you agree to consult your personal physican before using any interventions posted on this website, and you agree to hold harmless FluTrackers.com Inc., the board of directors, the members, and all authors and posters for any effects from use of any medication, supplement, vitamin or other substance, device, intervention, etc. mentioned in posts on this website, or other internet venues referenced in posts on this website.
  • We are not asking for any donations. Do not donate to any entity who says they are raising funds for us.

Swine flu hits South Island Ski Resort Areas

kiwibird

Editor, Senior Moderator
http://www4.stuff.co.nz/world/swine-flu/2567035/Swine-flu-hits-Wanaka-Alex

Swine flu has infiltrated into Wanaka and Alexandra, with 14 people in Otago and Southland now confirmed with the virus.

Otago Southland medical officer of health Marion Poore said Alexandra had two official cases of swine flu, Wanaka one, Invercargill two and Dunedin had nine. All were aged from their young teens to 40s.

More people would inevitably become unwell with the influenza in coming weeks, Mrs Poore said.

"There will be many other cases out there who haven't had tests done. This is the tip of the iceberg."

The key messages were that sick people should stay at home, they should cover up coughs and sniffles, focus on good hand washing and drying and take advantage of the seasonal vaccine.

The swine flu threat was hitting home nationwide, with thousands of people calling a helpline after the deaths of three people, including a Wellington eight-year-old.

While the victims all had existing medical conditions, the virus is also hitting the healthy. A young Wellington woman with no underlying medical issues was in a critical condition in Wellington Hospital's intensive care unit last night, a hospital spokesman said.

The Health Ministry announced New Zealand's first three deaths linked to swine flu on Saturday. They included an eight-year-old girl, who died at Wellington Hospital on Saturday morning and a 42-year-old man who died on Thursday in Christchurch.

Chief coroner Neil MacLean said it was also "strongly probable" swine flu was a major factor in the death of Hamilton's Zachary Wilson, 19. He died at home last weekend, without having been tested for the virus or being admitted to hospital. It is thought asthma might have contributed to his death.

Health bosses have warned the deaths are just the beginning. Health Minister Tony Ryall said the recent deaths were "tragic, but to be expected".

The total number of confirmed swine flu cases stood at 961 yesterday but the actual number is likely to be much higher than numbers reported by health authorities. Mr Ryall said.

"The (official) numbers are only those people being picked up by the surveillance service or by going to a GP or hospital."
 
Re: Swine flu hits South Island Ski Resort Areas

Ski numbers up 40 per cent

Last updated 15:11 17/08/2009

More Australians hitting the South Island's ski slopes has visitor numbers up 40 per cent on all previous records.

NZSki, which operates the Mount Hutt, Coronet Peak and Remarkables ski fields, says the boom is due to big investments in infrastructure along with the introduction of cheap airfares.

''Last year we were in a technical recession and our board still invested in excess of $30 million, and that's what we're all enjoying right now,'' NZSki chief executive James Coddington said.

The cash paid for snow-making systems and a new base building at Coronet Peak, without which they wouldn't be coping with the rush, Mr Coddington said.

''We had all of that in the last year, so obviously (people) went back and told their friends.''

He said the increase was entirely down to Australia where an advertising campaign had been running, with local visitor numbers holding steady with last season.

The introduction of a new trans-Tasman airline, plus increased capacity on existing carriers, had made New Zealand more accessible, Mr Coddington said.

''Now we've got Jetstar offering very affordable fares, prior to the season they were offering $29 fares and I believe they're now $89.

''Before, if you were lucky you might get down to $400 one way.

''It's also easier. If you're in Queensland or New South Wales, you can jump on a plane, you can be there in three hours and be on the slopes the same day.''

''In Australia it's between a six and eight hour drive for them (to most fields).''

Mr Coddington said ticket prices which translated to about $A63 ($NZ79) versus $A102 in Australia brought the cost down further _ meaning tourists had more cash to spread around.

Barry Ellis, who manages a company operating three Queenstown bars, said it had been one of the best winters in 20 years.

''We're as busy as everybody else is. It's as good a ski season and commercial winter season as we've had,'' he told the Southland Times.

Browns Ski Shop owner Kris Vermeir agreed.

''It's too early to count our chickens because we still need a good September, but so far it's breaking all records.''

http://www.stuff.co.nz/the-press/news/2760399/Ski-numbers-up-40-per-cent
 
Back
Top