• FluTrackers.com Inc. does not provide medical advice. Information on this web site is collected from various internet resources, and the FluTrackers board of directors makes no warranty to the safety, efficacy, correctness or completeness of the information posted on this site by any author or poster. The information collated here is for instructional and/or discussion purposes only and is NOT intended to diagnose or treat any disease, illness, or other medical condition. Every individual reader or poster should seek advice from their personal physician/healthcare practitioner before considering or using any interventions that are discussed on this website. By continuing to access this website you agree to consult your personal physican before using any interventions posted on this website, and you agree to hold harmless FluTrackers.com Inc., the board of directors, the members, and all authors and posters for any effects from use of any medication, supplement, vitamin or other substance, device, intervention, etc. mentioned in posts on this website, or other internet venues referenced in posts on this website.
  • We are not asking for any donations. Do not donate to any entity who says they are raising funds for us.

Suspected death in Markham IL

Shiloh

Editor, Senior Moderator
Source: http://www.wgntv.com/news/wgntv-8-year-old-dies-of-h1n1-june16,0,4597958.story

H1N1 may have claimed the life of an 8-year-old
The H1N1 virus may have claimed the life of an 8-year-old boy from south suburban Markham

WGNtv.com

June 16, 2009
The H1N1 virus may have claimed the life of an 8-year-old boy from south suburban Markham

Mark Damper Jr. became seriously ill on Wednesday, he was hospitalized on Friday and died Saturday.

Mark had no preexisting health problems. County health officials say test results point to the H1N1 flu virus as a probable cause in his death.


Doctors are still determining if H1N1 was the sure cause of the death. The source of the virus is also under investigation
 
Re: Suspected death in Markham IL

Source: http://abclocal.go.com/wls/story?section=news/local&id=6868240

H1N1 flu suspected in suburban boy's death
By Leah Hope

Video

June 16, 2009 (WLS) -- An eight-year-old boy may be the latest from the Chicago area to die of the H1N1 flu virus.

Relatives said the child got sick last week, went to the hospital on Friday and died on Saturday.

The state confirmed Tuesday that there have been two other deaths from the virus.

The Cook County health department is warning residents to take extra precautions as the virus continues to spread.

On Tuesday, the Illinois Department of Public Health was expediting a test to confirm a suspected fatal case of H1N1. The state won't release details but a south suburban family told ABC7 they were informed the boy likely had the virus.

On Tuesday, Matt Dampier was struggling with the sudden loss of his nephew.

"It just happened overnight. We didn't see it coming," said Matt Dampier, uncle of boy.

Dampier said his eight-year-old nephew Mark wasn't feeling well Thursday, went to a south suburban hospital Friday and was diagnosed with pneumonia, then transported to Christ Hospital where the boy died Saturday morning.

"No sooner I could get up in the morning to call to check on him, to see how he was doing...It happened too quickly," said Dampier.

Dampier said the family was told Mark likely had H1N1.

As Cook County Health officials await confirmation of the fatal case, they are seeing higher than normal emergency room visits for the flu due to H1N1.

"This is the right time to change behavior in terms of increased focus on the benefits of good hygiene as a means of preventing infection," said Dr. Michael Vernon, Cook County director of Communicable Disease Control.

As health officials urge continued attention to prevention, the Dampiers also warn parents to be alert to your child's health.

"Don't let a small fever or cold pass you by thinking its nothing because it can really turn into something like this. We never seen this coming. He was real healthy and real active and we're really going to miss him," said Dampier.

There are 600 confirmed cases of H1N1 in Cook County. Seventy percent of those cases are in patients under 20 years old.


In the meantime, school officials are monitoring federal recommendations and the production of the flu vaccine for what they may need to do in the fall.
 
Back
Top