• FluTrackers.com Inc. does not provide medical advice. Information on this web site is collected from various internet resources, and the FluTrackers board of directors makes no warranty to the safety, efficacy, correctness or completeness of the information posted on this site by any author or poster. The information collated here is for instructional and/or discussion purposes only and is NOT intended to diagnose or treat any disease, illness, or other medical condition. Every individual reader or poster should seek advice from their personal physician/healthcare practitioner before considering or using any interventions that are discussed on this website. By continuing to access this website you agree to consult your personal physican before using any interventions posted on this website, and you agree to hold harmless FluTrackers.com Inc., the board of directors, the members, and all authors and posters for any effects from use of any medication, supplement, vitamin or other substance, device, intervention, etc. mentioned in posts on this website, or other internet venues referenced in posts on this website.
  • We are not asking for any donations. Do not donate to any entity who says they are raising funds for us.

Students stream back to NYC schools closed by flu

Tonka

Well-known member
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090526/ap_on_re_us/us_swine_flu_nyc

By VERENA DOBNIK, Associated Press Writer Verena Dobnik, Associated Press Writer ? 53 mins ago

NEW YORK ? A Queens school once again bustled with activity Tuesday, about a week after its assistant principal became the city's first death linked to swine flu.

The Susan B. Anthony Intermediate School in Queens ? I.S. 238 ? was among 20 schools or programs that reopened after being shuttered as a precaution amid the city's 330 confirmed cases of the H1N1 virus.

At least four New Yorkers have died of swine-flu-related causes since the outbreak began more than a month ago, when hundreds of students at St. Francis Preparatory School in the Fresh Meadows section of Queens became sick.

"We just want to keep things moving," said Joseph Gates, principal of I.S. 238, as he helped load two buses of students headed for a school trip to Washington, D.C.

Hundreds of others filed into the schoolhouse, with teachers asking reporters not to interview them.

At Public School 19 in Queens' Corona neighborhood, schools Chancellor Joel Klein welcomed the children.

Third-grader Eric Sobarzo was dropped off by his big brother, Peter DeCaprio, who said he was confident that "whatever the problem was here, they must have fixed it."

Of the 20 schools or school programs that were to reopen Tuesday, 16 are in Queens, two in the Bronx and one each in Manhattan and Brooklyn.

Five others closed in early May had already reopened. Another 18 New York schools, where students fell ill more recently, are closed.

But this week's reopenings signal that things may be returning to normal. Mayor Michael Bloomberg had said Monday that closing yet more schools would not stop the spread of the virus.

City officials said last week that the reason for the closings was mainly to protect the most vulnerable ? young children, the elderly, pregnant women and anyone with a chronic medical condition like asthma or diabetes.

The mayor said it was up to parents citywide whether to send their children to school. Some schools reported last week that as many as two-thirds of their students were absent.

Mitchell Wiener, the assistant principal of I.S. 238, who died May 17, was the city's first swine flu fatality. A 50-year-old woman in her 50s died over the weekend.

City Health Commissioner Dr. Thomas Frieden said Tuesday that a 41-year-old woman from Queens and a 34-year-old man from Brooklyn also died in the past few days of swine flu, exacerbated by other conditions.

___

Associated Press writer Deepti Hajela contributed to this report.
 
Back
Top