• FluTrackers.com Inc. does not provide medical advice. Information on this web site is collected from various internet resources, and the FluTrackers board of directors makes no warranty to the safety, efficacy, correctness or completeness of the information posted on this site by any author or poster. The information collated here is for instructional and/or discussion purposes only and is NOT intended to diagnose or treat any disease, illness, or other medical condition. Every individual reader or poster should seek advice from their personal physician/healthcare practitioner before considering or using any interventions that are discussed on this website. By continuing to access this website you agree to consult your personal physican before using any interventions posted on this website, and you agree to hold harmless FluTrackers.com Inc., the board of directors, the members, and all authors and posters for any effects from use of any medication, supplement, vitamin or other substance, device, intervention, etc. mentioned in posts on this website, or other internet venues referenced in posts on this website.
  • We are not asking for any donations. Do not donate to any entity who says they are raising funds for us.

South Korea Confirmed

Re: South Korea Confirmed

Source: http://www.reuters.com/article/latestCrisis/idUSSEO55163

S.Korea confirms first case of H1N1 flu- Yonhap
Fri May 1, 2009 7:45pm EDT

Email | Print |
Share
| Reprints | Single Page
[-] Text [+]
(Adds details)

SEOUL, May 2 (Reuters) - South Korea has confirmed its first case of the H1N1 flu, the Yonhap news agency said on Saturday, quoting a Health Ministry official.

The sufferer was a 51-year-old woman who returned from a trip to Mexico in mid-April. She had stayed in Mexico City for about a week. The woman was quarantined at an hospital when she was suspected of having the virus, but her symptoms were now almost gone, Yonhap said.

"The first person in South Korea to be categorised as "probable" was confirmed to have the flu," Yonhap said, quoting an unidentified Health Ministry official.

The ministry was not immediately available to comment.

Elsewhere in Asia, Hong Kong reported a confirmed case of the H1N1 flu in a Mexican traveller on Friday. [ID:nHKG306591]

New Zealand has also announced three confirmed cases.

(Reporting by Angela Moon; Editing by Dean Yates)
 
Re: South Korea Confirmed

South Korea confirms first swine flu victim
http://www.news.com.au/perthnow/story/0,21598,25417723-5005522,00.html


May 02, 2009 10:40am

SOUTH Korea has reported its first confirmed case of swine flu, involving a 51-year-old woman who returned from Mexico last weekend.
South Korea became the 14th country that reported a confirmed case of Influenza A and the second among Asian countries following Hong Kong, health officials said.

"Test results have confirmed the first probable patient, whose case was reported on Monday, was infected with Influenza A (H1N1),'' the Korea Centres for Disease Control and Prevention (KCDCP) said in a statement.

The woman, reportedly a nun, who returned from Mexico on Sunday, was among three patients who had been classified as probable cases.

But she has been responding well to treatment and is expected to be discharged from a military hospital on Monday, health officials said.

The two other probable cases - a 44-year-old woman and a 57-year-old man - did not travel to affected countries, raising concerns the disease has passed from person to person in the country.
The 44-year-old woman, also a nun, who lived with the 51-year-old, who was showing symptoms at the time, drove her from the airport to their dormitory, Yonhap news agency said.

Test results for the 44-year-old were not yet available and she will remain isolated in a hospital for the time being, health authorities said.

But the 57-year-old man, who had been also showing probable swine flu symptoms, was tested negative and ruled out.

Tests are underway on 23 other people, the KCDCP said.

South Korea has stepped up inspections of inbound travellers after the first suspected case was reported on Monday.

It carries out rapid antigen tests on inbound travellers who are suffering from fever or symptoms of respiratory illness and restricts travel to Mexico, the epicentre of the outbreak.

If confirmed through laboratory tests, patients will immediately be isolated. Travellers to Mexico and the United States will also be educated on the prevention of swine flu, health officials said.

South Korea said it would double its stockpile of Tamiflu and other anti-influenza drugs to treat up to five million people.
 
Back
Top