Gert van der Hoek
In Memoriam - Editor, Senior Moderator
SA?s third swine flu death confirmed in Western Cape
SAPA
PUBLISHED: 2009/08/12 02:16:07 PM
South Africa?s third confirmed death by swine flu was of a 42-year-old man from the Western Cape, the Department of Health said on Wednesday.
?The deceased took ill on July and was admitted [to hospital] on August 4 with pneumonia but unfortunately died on the same day,? said health spokesman Fidel Radebe.
Western Cape Department of Health spokeswoman Faiza Steyn said the 42-year-old man, Johann Hack, was from the Strand.
Radebe said there were 1910 confirmed cases of the H1N1 virus, popularly known as swine flu, in South Africa.
The country?s first H1N1 victim reported was 22-year-old Stellenbosch University student Ruan Muller which was reported early last week.
The second confirmation of a swine flu death was of a 15-year-old teenager from Bloemfontein on Saturday.
Radebe said the majority of H1N1 cases were in Gauteng and Western Cape. Northern Cape has had the fewest reported instances of the virus.
He appealed to the public not to panic and said the Department of Health had ?adequate measures in place to deal with the pandemic?.
http://www.bday.co.za/articles/Content.aspx?id=78339
SAPA
PUBLISHED: 2009/08/12 02:16:07 PM
South Africa?s third confirmed death by swine flu was of a 42-year-old man from the Western Cape, the Department of Health said on Wednesday.
?The deceased took ill on July and was admitted [to hospital] on August 4 with pneumonia but unfortunately died on the same day,? said health spokesman Fidel Radebe.
Western Cape Department of Health spokeswoman Faiza Steyn said the 42-year-old man, Johann Hack, was from the Strand.
Radebe said there were 1910 confirmed cases of the H1N1 virus, popularly known as swine flu, in South Africa.
The country?s first H1N1 victim reported was 22-year-old Stellenbosch University student Ruan Muller which was reported early last week.
The second confirmation of a swine flu death was of a 15-year-old teenager from Bloemfontein on Saturday.
Radebe said the majority of H1N1 cases were in Gauteng and Western Cape. Northern Cape has had the fewest reported instances of the virus.
He appealed to the public not to panic and said the Department of Health had ?adequate measures in place to deal with the pandemic?.
http://www.bday.co.za/articles/Content.aspx?id=78339