• FluTrackers.com Inc. does not provide medical advice. Information on this web site is collected from various internet resources, and the FluTrackers board of directors makes no warranty to the safety, efficacy, correctness or completeness of the information posted on this site by any author or poster. The information collated here is for instructional and/or discussion purposes only and is NOT intended to diagnose or treat any disease, illness, or other medical condition. Every individual reader or poster should seek advice from their personal physician/healthcare practitioner before considering or using any interventions that are discussed on this website. By continuing to access this website you agree to consult your personal physican before using any interventions posted on this website, and you agree to hold harmless FluTrackers.com Inc., the board of directors, the members, and all authors and posters for any effects from use of any medication, supplement, vitamin or other substance, device, intervention, etc. mentioned in posts on this website, or other internet venues referenced in posts on this website.
  • We are not asking for any donations. Do not donate to any entity who says they are raising funds for us.

South Africa - Johannesburg: South African man who returned from Sierra Leone being tested for ebola - tested negative

nola_mnr

Well-known member
This is a confusing article, but it seems a South African man who returned from Sierra Leone is being tested for ebola.

The South African National Institute for Communicable Diseases (NICD) doesn't suspect ebola but is testing him anyway. It is unclear what (if any) his symptoms are. It is unclear if he was isolated or not (or even still in a hospital).

The Health and Other Services Personnel Trade Union of SA (Hospersa) said he had contracted ebola and had "absconded from the hospital."

I'm trying to find more info.

http://www.iol.co.za/news/south-afr...-test-sa-man-for-ebola-1.1773120#.VFLhtsn4IxA

Edit: The article's byline and testing are in Johannesburg, but the hospital, and presumably the patient, are in Durban, South Africa
 
Re: South Africa - Johannesburg: South African man who returned from Sierra Leone being tested for ebola

Re: South Africa - Johannesburg: South African man who returned from Sierra Leone being tested for ebola

http://mydurban.co.za/kzn-man-not-admitted-to-addington-hospital-for-ebola/

The National Institute for Communicable Diseases (NICD) has confirmed that a KwaZulu-Natal man was not admitted or tested at Addington hospital for Ebola as stated in some news reports.

?He did not fit the case definition for Ebola Virus Disease and was not at risk. [...]
According to the NICD, the man complained of a fever and was referred to Addington hospital for an assessment.
[...]
The NICD did not receive any specimens to be tested for Ebola for this particular case.
[...]
According to the NICD, there are no suspected cases of EVD in South Africa at present.
 
Re: South Africa - Johannesburg: South African man who returned from Sierra Leone being tested for ebola

Re: South Africa - Johannesburg: South African man who returned from Sierra Leone being tested for ebola

http://www.iol.co.za/news/south-afr...-alert-for-ebola-virus-1.1772610#.VFLtg8n4IxA

[...]
On Wednesday night KwaZulu-Natal Health MEC Sibongiseni Dhlomo confirmed that a patient had been brought to the hospital to be tested for the virus.
[...]
He was brought to Durban because the provincial Health Department had designated Addington as the only hospital in the province to deal with Ebola patients.
[...]
On Wednesday three hospital entrances were sealed off to prevent possible contamination and staff were instructed to dress in their protective gear. The hospital entrances were closed while staff debated the best way to get the patient into the hospital without putting other patients at risk.
[...]
?None of the hospital wards wanted to receive the patient as staff feared for their lives,? the employee said.

?When word got around as to what was happening, a number of staff decided to go home out of fear of coming into contact with the patient. Doctors even threatened to leave if the patient came through.?
[...]
The masks did not fit properly and staff were worried they could catch the virus through the openings in the protective gear.
While the provincial Health Department said in August that it had a protocol in place to deal with Ebola patients, hospital staff said they felt unprepared.
[...]
 
KwaZulu-Natal patient Ebola update

KwaZulu-Natal patient Ebola update

http://www.nicd.ac.za/?page=alerts&id=5&rid=439

"Our earlier media statement referred to a KwaZulu-Natal man who returned from work in Sierra Leone where he is a fleet manager for a construction company. He complained of mild symptoms on the 29th October 2014 and was concerned about the risk of Ebola and was referred for further assessment at Addington Hospital, but he did go to the hospital.

The KwaZulu-Natal provincial department of Health again arranged for his admission today to allow further assessment and to check specifically for other infections including malaria, given the absence of risk factors and no direct exposure to persons with Ebola disease.

Although this patient would not be considered as a suspected Ebola case, the NICD will conduct an Ebola test so as to allay patient and health worker fears and create confidence in the health system. All testing for the Ebola virus is conducted at the NICD?s Special Pathogens BSL-4 laboratory in Johannesburg. The Ebola test results for this patient will be available within the next 48 hours."

http://www.nicd.ac.za/?page=alerts&id=5&rid=440

31 October 2014

"The KwaZulu-Natal man who returned from Sierra Leone has tested negative for the Ebola virus. The patient is in a stable condition in hospital."
 
Re: South Africa - Johannesburg: South African man who returned from Sierra Leone being tested for ebola - tested negative

http://zululandobserver.co.za/51186/zululander-still-in-isolation-after-ebola-scare/

Zululander still in isolation after Ebola scare

A MTUNZINI man, who tested negative for the Ebola virus on Friday, remains in the isolation unit at Addington Hospital as a precautionary measure.

Reliable senior health sources told the Zululand Observer that the middle-aged man ?was being tested every six hours? to ensure there was no change in his condition.
[...]
It is believed the Zululander will only be released from hospital within the next week after the incubation period is over.
[...]
 
Back
Top