Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.
Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.
FluTrackers.com Inc. does not provide medical advice. Information on this web site is collected from various internet resources, and the FluTrackers board of directors makes no warranty to the safety, efficacy, correctness or completeness of the information posted on this site by any author or poster.
The information collated here is for instructional and/or discussion purposes only and is NOT intended to diagnose or treat any disease, illness, or other medical condition. Every individual reader or poster should seek advice from their personal physician/healthcare practitioner before considering or using any interventions that are discussed on this website.
By continuing to access this website you agree to consult your personal physican before using any interventions posted on this website, and you agree to hold harmless FluTrackers.com Inc., the board of directors, the members, and all authors and posters for any effects from use of any medication, supplement, vitamin or other substance, device, intervention, etc. mentioned in posts on this website, or other internet venues referenced in posts on this website.
We are not asking for any donations. Do not donate to any entity who says they are raising funds for us.
Thirteen illegal miners, of which two have died, have contracted cholera in Mpumalanga in the past two weeks, provincial health authorities said on Tuesday.
The cholera outbreak started on May 29 among illegal miners at Sheba Mine near Barberton.
No new cases had been reported in the past 24 hours, said health spokesperson Mpho Gabashane.
"We currently have only four patients still admitted to hospital, others have since been discharged."
So far, all water samples in the area have tested negative for cholera and it is believed the miners contracted the disease while staying underground for as long as three weeks.
"They go underground for two to three weeks and drink unsafe water. They do not have adequate ablution and we suspect this is how they contracted cholera," said Gabashane. - Sapa
Jul 1 2008 10:06AM
Login | Register
Cholera outbreak kills four in Barberton area
2008/07/01
FOUR people have died following a cholera outbreak in Barberton.
An Mpumalanga Health Department spokesperson said yesterday: ?We discovered the outbreak of cholera on May 29; since then the confirmed number of cholera patients who received medical treatment has risen to 27? The number of deaths is at four.?
Spokesperson Mpho Gabashane said currently there were 10 patients at Barberton Hospital and one had been confirmed with cholera. ?We are awaiting test results for the other nine.?
Gabashane said the department had instructed its teams to heighten their surveillance and health promotion. ?We are also on a daily basis testing all sources of water in the area and, up to this point, all tap water is considered safe for human consumption.?
The department had not identified any bacteria or organism that caused cholera in local streams. ?We urge all the people to use safe tap water and, in cases where they may not have access, to boil their water at least for three minutes or add a teaspoon of bleach.? He said the situation was ?under control? at the moment. ? Sapa