• FluTrackers.com Inc. does not provide medical advice. Information on this web site is collected from various internet resources, and the FluTrackers board of directors makes no warranty to the safety, efficacy, correctness or completeness of the information posted on this site by any author or poster. The information collated here is for instructional and/or discussion purposes only and is NOT intended to diagnose or treat any disease, illness, or other medical condition. Every individual reader or poster should seek advice from their personal physician/healthcare practitioner before considering or using any interventions that are discussed on this website. By continuing to access this website you agree to consult your personal physican before using any interventions posted on this website, and you agree to hold harmless FluTrackers.com Inc., the board of directors, the members, and all authors and posters for any effects from use of any medication, supplement, vitamin or other substance, device, intervention, etc. mentioned in posts on this website, or other internet venues referenced in posts on this website.
  • We are not asking for any donations. Do not donate to any entity who says they are raising funds for us.

So. Africa: flu hotline

Shiloh

Editor, Senior Moderator
Source: http://www.thetimes.co.za/News/Article.aspx?id=1051745

Department opens swine flu hotline
Sapa Published:Aug 18, 2009

We want to reiterate our call for people not to panic, because there?s no reason for panic


The national health department says its swine flu hotline will open for business tomorrow.


The line would give members of the public a chance to ask questions about and request information on the H1N1 virus, the department said.

The disease has so far claimed six lives in South Africa.

"The line will be operated by trained personnel on communicable diseases who will in turn be supported by [a] second line made up of experts from the department," the department said.

The hotline number would be 0861 DOH CDC or (see source above)

The department said it was also running a dedicated email query service, at H1N1@health.gov.za.

In the Eastern Cape, the provincial health department today repeated its calls for calm in the face of the swine flu outbreak.

"We want to reiterate our call for people not to panic, because there?s no reason for panic," spokesman Sizwe Kupelo said.

He was speaking in the wake of concerns raised by nurses at Port Elizabeth?s Dora Nginza Hospital over the weekend death of a woman patient, and flu screening measures adopted by some schools in the province.

Kupelo said the woman was admitted to the hospital on Saturday and died three hours later.

However, her death was due to factors other than the H1N1 flu virus, he said.

There were still only 88 confirmed cases of swine flu in the province, and one death, of the woman from Jansenville.

Kupelo said some schools were reportedly forcing pupils to bring medical certificates confirming they were free of the flu.

This was "not right", he said. The practice was not part of the guidelines distributed by the education department for dealing with infectious diseases.

Kupelo said the department appealed to doctors not to send off for laboratory tests on mild cases of flu, whether suspected H1N1 or not.

However tests should always be done where people were HIV positive, pregnant, diabetic or had heart problems.

The department could not quarantine flu sufferers, but it did urge them to "contain themselves", and not mix with other people.
 
Back
Top