• FluTrackers.com Inc. does not provide medical advice. Information on this web site is collected from various internet resources, and the FluTrackers board of directors makes no warranty to the safety, efficacy, correctness or completeness of the information posted on this site by any author or poster. The information collated here is for instructional and/or discussion purposes only and is NOT intended to diagnose or treat any disease, illness, or other medical condition. Every individual reader or poster should seek advice from their personal physician/healthcare practitioner before considering or using any interventions that are discussed on this website. By continuing to access this website you agree to consult your personal physican before using any interventions posted on this website, and you agree to hold harmless FluTrackers.com Inc., the board of directors, the members, and all authors and posters for any effects from use of any medication, supplement, vitamin or other substance, device, intervention, etc. mentioned in posts on this website, or other internet venues referenced in posts on this website.
  • We are not asking for any donations. Do not donate to any entity who says they are raising funds for us.

Snow-hit households stock up

Sally Furniss

Well-known member
http://www.stuff.co.nz/stuff/0,2106,3703033a11,00.html
STOCKING UP: Samantha Doak, four, with an armful of batteries at an Ashburton supermarket.
KIRK HARGREAVES/The Press

Snow-hit households stock up
17 June 2006
By ARWEN HANN

Supermarket staff in snow-hit areas of Canterbury are being rushed off their feet by anxious householders fearing another big snowfall may leave them stranded.

Ashburton New World store manager Scott Buchanan said the store was almost as busy as Christmas Eve yesterday, with people stocking up before the weekend's forecast bad weather.

Staff were working extra shifts and longer hours to cope with the demand.

Buchanan said the store had measures in place to stop people panic-buying, but so far everyone had been sensible.

"It is mainly things like batteries, and we also sold out of candles. People are also buying more unusual things like salt and cat litter to use as grit," he said.

Debbie and Chris Doak, along with daughter Samantha, stocked up on food and batteries for their farm near Rakaia.

"We coped during the last few days, even though we lost our power, but we are stocking up now just in case," Debbie Doak said.

About 4000 homes remain without power as deep snow continues to make life difficult for repair crews and emergency services.

Rescue response teams from the Christchurch City Council, the Waimakariri District Council and Canterbury Civil Defence spent yesterdayin the Ashburton area after a request for help from the Ashburton District Council.

About 28 people helped deliver food to those unable to leave their homes, and helped to make contact with people whose power and phone lines had been cut.

The civil defence emergency manager at the Christchurch City Council, Murray Sinclair, said the teams would return to Christchurch this afternoon in case bad weather hit the city or Banks Peninsula over the weekend.

Snow and ice are continuing to cause problems throughout Mid and South Canterbury.

On Thursday, a couple lost all their possessions after the isolated house they were renting near Mayfield burnt down. It took firefighters 30 minutes to reach the property because of the icy conditions.

The house, in Anama Station Road, is owned by Sue and Robert Braham, who run the property as a farmstay.

They now face losing an important source of income while they rebuild, and they are without water in their own home after the pump supplying both houses was damaged in the fire. Sue Braham had to drive to a neighbouring property to find a cellphone to call 111 because the area's phone and power lines were still down.

The Brahams had bought a cellphone that day because of the bad weather, but had not had time to charge it.

No-one was in the house at the time of the fire, which gutted the wooden building.

Fire Service operations manager Steve Barclay said the fire crews had attended as quickly as possible, given the conditions. The fact the siren at Mayfield was not working because of power outages would not have affected the response time.

"All the volunteers carry pagers, so we can reach them that way instead," he said.

Two Fairlie fire trucks attended a house fire in Siegerts Road, Kimbell, yesterday afternoon.

The newly renovated house's roof was badly burnt. It is believed the logburner's chimney may have overheated.

On Thursday afternoon, a helicopter assessing snow damage crashed near Blue Mountain.

Alpine Energy chief executive Greg Skelton said the helicopter, with two people on board, had been flying for almost three hours when the accident happened.

The pilot and observer suffered minor injuries, but the helicopter was badly damaged in the crash, north-west of Geraldine.
 
Re: Snow-hit households stock up

I live not so far from these areas and it worries me how badly prepared people were in an area known for cold snaps, never mind prepping in general. I have to wonder why the governments so called brochure on BF warning given to all NZ households approx 3 months ago hasnt been really taken to heart.
Too many people have been affected by the snow and days later, still having food delivered to them by Chch folk.

To me it looks grim, if they cannot cope with just a few days, how would they cope with several weeks, or months?

I hope when it does hit, its does so in the summer, not the winter...but I guess our winter is your summer and vice versa, so thats a empty wish.
 
Re: Snow-hit households stock up

http://www.stuff.co.nz/stuff/0,2106,3704623a10,00.html
2000 homes still powerless
19 June 2006
By STAFF REPORTERS

Almost 2000 homes around Canterbury were still without power this morning as snow again hit the region.

Snow and hail began to fall in parts of Mid and South Canterbury yesterday afternoon as a cold front compounded earlier problems.

Snow fell earlier in the day in North Canterbury, making roads treacherous.

The front was not as severe as many feared.

In Fairlie, one of the worst-affected communities, locals said morale was high ? although thousands of people were without essential services, including power, phone lines and water.

Mackenzie District Council Civil Defence officer Leo Crampton said one of the most difficult things for many people was a lack of communication with the outside world. "Communications have been a sad story. If people can talk to somebody, they are a lot happier," he said.

Crampton said he could not understand why telephone lines had been cut to so many houses when most lines were underground.

Telecom spokeswoman Sarah Berry said about 150 customers were without phone services last night, partly due to the ongoing power cuts.

The phone service relied on power ? and in rural areas back-up power was provided by batteries which had gone flat near the end of last week after several days without mains power, she said.

The occupants of more than 1800 homes in Mid and South Canterbury went to bed without power for the eighth night last night.

Electricity Ashburton general manager Gordon Guthrie said power had been restored to main distribution lines, but crews were yet to repair damage to many spur lines, affecting about 1000 customers.

About 85 staff worked yesterday on the lines, but were hampered by the cold and wet. "Some of them are getting very tired. They have been working for seven days non-stop and they are getting cold and wet the whole time."

The chief executive of South Canterbury-based lines company Alpine Energy, Greg Skelton, said there were about 800 customers still without power.

It would take another week and a half, Skelton estimated, before all customers were reconnected.

He said an extra 30 linesmen from power companies in Christchurch, North Otago and Central Otago were coming to help this week.

Linesmen in Waimate had to stop work yesterday afternoon because falling snow made it too dangerous.

Civil Defence Minister Rick Barker made a whistle-stop visit to snow-bound Fairlie and Waimate on Saturday ? and flew straight into trouble when the Air Force Iroquois on which he was travelling had to put down in a paddock.

A warning light on the aircraft came on, and the minister continued his journey on another Iroquois which had been brought in to help ferry men and machines to snow-hit areas.

Barker said he was staggered by the amount of snow across the region and was surprised it had lasted so long.

Barker, defending the arrival of military gear in South Canterbury on Friday after a snowstorm early Monday, said it was hard to anticipate what would be needed. Lieutenant Colonel Howard Duffy said soldiers working from Fairlie had been busy yesterday, helping to distribute feed to snow-bound stock.

Snow began to fall about 3.30pm yesterday and a bar manager at the Fairlie Hotel, Talz Voice, said the area was bracing itself for more snow overnight and early today.

"The town has power now, so people have been providing hot showers and meals for the farmers who have been working really hard. Community spirit is really good." Residents of Murchison woke to snow yesterday.

John Siu, owner of the Owen River Tavern and Motels, said the snow fell heavily until about 9.30am.

"I have not seen it that heavy for about 10 years," he said. "We expected a cold front coming from the south, but not this heavy."

Siu said the blanket of snow caused problems on the roads.

"Cars were slipping on the corners and I saw some coming through with smashed fronts, but they were still moving, but very, very slowly," he said.

Police Southern Communications spokesman Inspector Bob Palmer said three cars had to be rescued from the Tasman District around Murchison and nearby Shenandoah after sliding off the road yesterday because of an early-morning snowfall.

No-one was injured in the accidents.
 
Back
Top