• FluTrackers.com Inc. does not provide medical advice. Information on this web site is collected from various internet resources, and the FluTrackers board of directors makes no warranty to the safety, efficacy, correctness or completeness of the information posted on this site by any author or poster. The information collated here is for instructional and/or discussion purposes only and is NOT intended to diagnose or treat any disease, illness, or other medical condition. Every individual reader or poster should seek advice from their personal physician/healthcare practitioner before considering or using any interventions that are discussed on this website. By continuing to access this website you agree to consult your personal physican before using any interventions posted on this website, and you agree to hold harmless FluTrackers.com Inc., the board of directors, the members, and all authors and posters for any effects from use of any medication, supplement, vitamin or other substance, device, intervention, etc. mentioned in posts on this website, or other internet venues referenced in posts on this website.
  • We are not asking for any donations. Do not donate to any entity who says they are raising funds for us.

Sierra Leone - Young girl died from Ebola in the district of Bombali

tetano

Editor, Senior Moderator
A 16-year-old girl has been diagnosed with the deadly Ebola virus in northern Sierra Leone?s Bomabli district, which had gone for 169 days without a case. The initial suspicion is that the girl got Ebola after having sex with a survivor of the illness, but this has not yet been confirmed. The survivor was discharged after being treated for Ebola in March, according to DR Emmnauel Conteg, who is spearheading medical care for patients in Bombali. He said 690 people in the entire village of Robuya, just outside Makeni city, had been quarantined with seven ?high risk contacts? taken to a treatment unit. http://happenings.com.ng/young-girl-in-sierra-leone-diagnosed-with-ebola/
 
PRESS RELEASE

CORRECTION TO PRESS RELEASE: A NEW EVD POSITIVE CASE REPORTED IN BOMBALI DISTRICT 09/13/2015.

Please be informed that the Press Release issued on 13[SUP]th[/SUP] September by NERC, referring to a new EVD positive case in Bombali, incorrectly reported that the patient died on 11[SUP]th[/SUP] September. The date of death, at the IMC treatment facility was 13[SUP]th[/SUP] September. The case was confirmed laboratory positive on the same day. Please be informed of this update.

All other details in the Press Release below remain correct.

A NEW EVD POSITIVE CASE REPORTED IN BOMBALI DISTRICT/09-13-2015
NERC wishes to inform the general public that a new EVD positive case was reported in Bombali District today. The new case is a 16-year old who died at the IMC treatment centre in Mateneh, Bombali on September 11, 2015. Her swab is laboratory EVD positive. The source of the infection is currently unknown.

Whilst disappointing, the NERC technical partners; the Ministry of Health and Sanitation and the WHO have prepared us for this as we are in an ongoing outbreak. Bombali District has not reported a case for 169 days, however, this does not mean it is not ready to respond. With established structures and processes already in place, the NERC and its partners have already made adequate preparations to move in swiftly to reinforce the existing capacity of the DERC in Bombali.

NERC wishes to thank the Bombali DERC and the people of Bombali for their swift response so far to control this situation and encourage them to remain focused on the response.

The general public is requested to remain calm despite the understandable frustration that this new development has brought.

More information will be relayed to the general public as the investigation and response activities proceed.

Together, we will defeat Ebola

http://www.nerc.sl/
 
Health | Mon Sep 14, 2015 11:30am EDT Related: HEALTH

Hundreds quarantined as Ebola returns to north Sierra Leone district

FREETOWN
...
The teenage girl, Kadiatu Thullah, died on Sunday at the International Medical Corps Ebola treatment unit, authorities said.

Emmanuel Conteh, head of the Ebola Response Centre for the district of Bombali in northern Sierra Leone, said that some 690 people in the village of Robuya where Kadiatu lived would be isolated for three weeks.

"Seven of her primary contacts have been taken to the Ebola treatment unit," he told Reuters. Three patients who came into contact with the girl at another health facility have also been taken to the treatment unit.

Conteh said health workers were investigating how the teenager got infected, since she had not traveled outside the village in years. Initial suspicions are that she had sex with an Ebola survivor.

"We are baffled by that possibility because the survivor in question was discharged in March, way beyond the 90-day period within which sexual transmission is said to be possible," Conteh said.
...

http://www.reuters.com/article/2015/09/14/us-health-ebola-leone-idUSKCN0RE1P620150914
 
Back
Top