Gert van der Hoek
In Memoriam - Editor, Senior Moderator
Sierra Leone records zero new Ebola infections
By BBC | Tuesday, August 18 2015
For the first time since the Ebola outbreak was declared in Sierra Leone, the country has recorded zero new infections.
There were no new Ebola cases reported last week according to the WHO.
At the height of the outbreak Sierra Leone was reporting more than 500 new cases a week. Last week, for the first time since May last year, there were zero new cases.
But authorities are warning against complacency.
OB Sisay, Director of the National Ebola Response Centre (NERC), said: "This does not mean Sierra Leone is suddenly Ebola free.
"As long as we have one Ebola case we still have an epidemic. People should continue to take the public health measures... around hand-washing, temperature checks, enhanced screening."
MORE:
By BBC | Tuesday, August 18 2015
For the first time since the Ebola outbreak was declared in Sierra Leone, the country has recorded zero new infections.
There were no new Ebola cases reported last week according to the WHO.
At the height of the outbreak Sierra Leone was reporting more than 500 new cases a week. Last week, for the first time since May last year, there were zero new cases.
But authorities are warning against complacency.
OB Sisay, Director of the National Ebola Response Centre (NERC), said: "This does not mean Sierra Leone is suddenly Ebola free.
"As long as we have one Ebola case we still have an epidemic. People should continue to take the public health measures... around hand-washing, temperature checks, enhanced screening."
MORE: